"Directv" experience that has me concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Next time he knocks, take him out the front and ask him "D'ya wanna dance ?"

Those cable ads had my family in stitches.

I think this went over most members heads.

This is what they call a 3rd party reseller. He didn't work for directv directly, or even a contractor. They are absolute [censored], I could rage about 3rd party vendors and the headaches they caused us REAL sales reps (and real customers) at TWC for hours.

Att rep did the same thing a few years ago. Door to door wanted people to sign up to uverse cable TV. This is when it was new service.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Att rep did the same thing a few years ago. Door to door wanted people to sign up to uverse cable TV. This is when it was new service.

That is very common. Showing up and saying they are there to measure your DirecTV signal strength when you don't even have DirecTV is NOT common and is not how 3rd party contractors try to sell satellite services.

I find those ads creepy. The marionette wife who is dressed for bed doing a dance for her husband just weirds me out.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Next time he knocks, take him out the front and ask him "D'ya wanna dance ?"

Those cable ads had my family in stitches.

I think this went over most members heads.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

That is very common. Showing up and saying they are there to measure your DirecTV signal strength when you don't even have DirecTV is NOT common and is not how 3rd party contractors try to sell satellite services.

I do have an old Directv dish on the side yard though(some previous owner), if he was trying to sell me Dish,etc he might have just assumed I had Directv because of the dish. What do you think about that?

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I do have an old Directv dish on the side yard though(some previous owner), if he was trying to sell me Dish,etc he might have just assumed I had Directv because of the dish. What do you think about that?

I think that makes no difference. Tons of houses have old dishes mounted on them.

You should bladed at a 45* angle and shouted, "You will not touch my satellite dish!"

But yeah, sounds fishy. Possibly casing the joint.

Originally Posted By: Cardiobuck
Really doubt he is "casing" houses. I mean how does this play out: I'm going to eventually break into one of these houses so lets show my face to as many people as possible and make sure they get a good look at what I'm wearing and what I drive before I commit a crime all the while telling me very little about what to expect when I enter said home.

People watch too much t.v., or maybe just too much sheeple news.
Fundamental attribution error anyone.

You would be surprised. It is usually not the same guy casing as the same guy who does the break-ins, but it is possible.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Really doubt he is "casing" houses. I mean how does this play out: I'm going to eventually break into one of these houses so lets show my face to as many people as possible and make sure they get a good look at what I'm wearing and what I drive before I commit a crime all the while telling me very little about what to expect when I enter said home.

People watch too much t.v., or maybe just too much sheeple news.
Fundamental attribution error anyone.

You would be surprised. It is usually not the same guy casing as the same guy who does the break-ins, but it is possible.
That, or the guy was seeing if anyone is home during the day and this was his cover story for the times when someone *was* home.
21.gif

[/quote]That, or the guy was seeing if anyone is home during the day and this was his cover story for the times when someone *was* home.
21.gif
[/quote]

Assuming your screen name is a reference to the Mondavi-Rothschild collaboration, I like it better than your rationale.

So if home he doesn't break in, but if not home he does? Or by being home he extrapolates that they won't be home at night so he knows he can safely return? Or they will also be home tomorrow so he'll leave that one alone? Randomly knocking on doors tells one almost nothing about a potential targets' patterns for a future time. It does, however, succeed in making oneself very visible in a given neighborhood.

You convinced me. He is a mule for a major crime syndicate who they send out to case neighborhoods. They want to be sure he operates incognito so they give him a white Metro with pink flames on it to drive around in.... No one will ever remember that. He will never get picked up by the police for questioning driving around in that after the fact. And since he's obviously a serious player, if picked up he would never start talking.

Assuming your screen name is a reference to the Mondavi-Rothschild collaboration, I like it better than your rationale.
So if home he doesn't break in, but if not home he does? Or by being home he extrapolates that they won't be home at night so he knows he can safely return? Or they will also be home tomorrow so he'll leave that one alone? Randomly knocking on doors tells one almost nothing about a potential targets' patterns for a future time. It does, however, succeed in making oneself very visible in a given neighborhood.

My screen name refers to the penguin from the "Bloom County" cartoon from many years back.

As for my rationale, why do people have a hard time believing that people who break into homes for a living don't do recon first? The guy may not break in that day, but if he visits a place at different times of the day during the week and no one answers, chances are pretty good the house is empty during working hours on a weekday. If I was going to break into someone's house, that's a nice bit of info to know. And truth be told, how many neighbors are around during the day and, if so, are are paying attention to someone in the neighborhood? Between the trance induced by smart phones and the unwillingness to be labled as not being PC for noticing someone that isn't usually in the neighborhood, chances are pretty good that even *if* someone sees a perp, they're not going to actually remember anything about him.

If someone answers, you "darn" well better have a cover story that would give a somewhat feasible explanation for why you're ringing some stranger's doorbell.

In some cases, maybe the person at the door is the decoy to get some unsuspecting smuck to let them in the house and while distracting the homeowner, accomplices sneak in and clean out valuables. It *does* happen. I don't know how things are in Mayberry, but there's a reason that police departments, utility companies, and so forth keep reminding people to make sure that someone at the door claiming to represent a company has ID proving that they do.

Maybe the person at the door in the OP's post was legit, but I believe in Reagan's credo of "Trust, but verify." If that offends, sorry. I tend to go with my gut feelings, and so far, that hasn't let me down.

I will say this. The whole story reeks of the sales tactics of an 3rd party vender. From the Dish logo on one sleeve to the Direct TV dish outside has a low signal.

It is not uncommon for me to receive emails from my HOA warning residents of similar scams.

Originally Posted By: opus1
It *does* happen. I don't know how things are in Mayberry, but there's a reason that police departments, utility companies, and so forth keep reminding people to make sure that someone at the door claiming to represent a company has ID proving that they do.

Maybe the person at the door in the OP's post was legit, but I believe in Reagan's credo of "Trust, but verify." If that offends, sorry. I tend to go with my gut feelings, and so far, that hasn't let me down.

Of course it happens. I don't know how things are in Mayberry either. I live in the 15th largest city in the country; It's small only by Chicago/New York standards. Can't say I've ever been reminded to check ID by my PD or utility company, but then again I avoid 6pm news i.e., the main portal for dissemination of this type of useless information.

We can go back and forth with scenarios all day. My original point was that people in this country especially middle & upper middle class suburban white people have an unrealistic attribution of criminal intent which they apply to these situations. I would further argue that people tend to assume a frequency of crime which is higher than the actual crime rate. This is part of the Fundamental Attribution Error I refer to in my original post.

We all evaluate these things with a different frame of reference. As far as "trust", yeah I'm not sure I really trust anyone. I trust in my ability to handle myself and this allows me to give people the benefit of the doubt and generally have no fear in these situations. I also have a philosophical objection to preemption, and that come into play here.

FWIW, I rarely answer the door when home. I never worry about the bad guys thinking that means I'm not home. If I'm ever wrong we will simply explore the finer points of what those of us in Mayberry call the 'castle law'.

Perhaps a better example of my viewpoint. I recall one time being downtown for dinner with my wife and a street person approached for money. I told him I didn't have any on me (the truth) but if he followed me back to the car I would give him the change I keep in the ashtray(I had been meaning to clean it out anyway) He did and I gave it to him then he walked away. Now if I ever retell this story to people I get all of the 'this could have', 'that could have', 'what if' scenarios. I get those responses because of that Fundamental Attribution Error I was talking about. My response is that I was never in any danger. I can handle myself.

^ It's nice to see a little bit of common sense in a world where it's not very common.

You convinced me. He is a mule for a major crime syndicate who they send out to case neighborhoods. They want to be sure he operates incognito so they give him a white Metro with pink flames on it to drive around in.... No one will ever remember that. He will never get picked up by the police for questioning driving around in that after the fact. And since he's obviously a serious player, if picked up he would never start talking.

I said its possible. Not that this is definitely the case. My bet is the third party vendor thing. Its not like a lot of criminals are that smart anyway. A guy posing as a "FedEx driver" who delivered to the wrong house stole $1000 worth of tools from a construction site next to the house he "mis-delivered" to. Yes they caught him and his picture was in the paper. I guess you are just easily convinced.
wink.gif

As far as "trust", yeah I'm not sure I really trust anyone.e.

Yep, that is common sense. Why beat around the bush about it?

Fact is that things have changed DRASTICALLY in the US over the past several decades or so, people in general have become so self absorbed, self centered, and thoughtless regarding others that you would be a FOOL if you said you did trust most people today.

Now go back before the 70s and it was a very different country.
I could honestly say that until that time I would give most people the benefit of the doubt. Today I don't give ANYONE the benefit of the doubt I have personally experienced plenty of reasons NEVER to trust unless I verify first.

Is there an update to this story? Has the OPs house been robbed? Has there been a rash of break ins in the neighborhood?

Originally Posted By: whip
Is there an update to this story? Has the OPs house been robbed? Has there been a rash of break ins in the neighborhood?

Now there you go getting all logical, seeking evidence and the like. We don't need rationale, around here we go with the 'gut'.
Hey the gut worked well enough for the one I refer to as Son-of-a-Bush, I guess it'll have to be good enough for a bunch of ol' BITOGers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back