Directional WiFi beaming?

I suspect you've got a network configuration issue. -72db is not a great signal but it should be good enough to connect. The signal to noise ratio in your screenshot is 35db which is poor, but again you should be at least able to connect.

Is there a setting for transmit strength in your settings? With clear line of site, this type of repeater should be able to connect over a mile.

Also, are you trying to connect over ethernet on the client side? I would make sure that works before trying to get WiFi working to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I suspect you've got a network configuration issue. -72db is not a great signal but it should be good enough to connect. The signal to noise ratio in your screenshot is 35db which is poor, but again you should be at least able to connect.

Is there a setting for transmit strength in your settings? With clear line of site, this type of repeater should be able to connect over a mile.

Also, are you trying to connect over ethernet on the client side? I would make sure that works before trying to get WiFi working to eliminate as many variables as possible.
Transmit is at full power.

It isn’t perfect line of sight. There is a tree in the way. Nothing I can do about that. It’s in a neighbor’s yard and there’s no viable path for running a wire from my house to the other building.

I don’t need to stream Netflix. I don’t need a lot of speed. What I need is a viable connection. Frankly I don’t think I need more than ~150KB/s. But I want it to come on and stay on and work.

I’ve not been able to get anything over Ethernet. These things need to be configured with a static IP address to connect in. I don’t know because there’s no good clarity or insight from the manuals on how to connect to the client, or the right settings. It just says to use the quick setup and set an up address lower than that of the AP unit. I’m not sure if the client unit actually has a connection.

When I connect a computer is wifi directly to the AP, it gives the computer an IP address consistent with those provided by my router. Which means that the powerline adapters and the AP seem to be seamless between my router and the computer connected to the AP. But again the issue is no data despite a strong signal.

I have no idea how to give a proper IP address from the client side. I can set it up to do DHCP on the Ethernet and then it gives it’s own IP addresses 192.168.0.x instead of the 192.168.50.x from my router. But again, no data over it.

Transmit is at full power.

It isn’t perfect line of sight. There is a tree in the way. Nothing I can do about that. It’s in a neighbor’s yard and there’s no viable path for running a wire from my house to the other building.

I don’t need to stream Netflix. I don’t need a lot of speed. What I need is a viable connection. Frankly I don’t think I need more than ~150KB/s. But I want it to come on and stay on and work.

I’ve not been able to get anything over Ethernet. These things need to be configured with a static IP address to connect in. I don’t know because there’s no good clarity or insight from the manuals on how to connect to the client, or the right settings. It just says to use the quick setup and set an up address lower than that of the AP unit. I’m not sure if the client unit actually has a connection.

When I connect a computer is wifi directly to the AP, it gives the computer an IP address consistent with those provided by my router. Which means that the powerline adapters and the AP seem to be seamless between my router and the computer connected to the AP. But again the issue is no data despite a strong signal.

I have no idea how to give a proper IP address from the client side. I can set it up to do DHCP on the Ethernet and then it gives it’s own IP addresses 192.168.0.x instead of the 192.168.50.x from my router. But again, no data over it.
OK, I know we discussed this all earlier in the thread, but what is the setup now, were you able to get a bridge configured? if so, a wired client at the remote location should be getting an IP address over DHCP from your main network.

In repeater mode, the client unit also runs an AP. This AP will of course have full bars when you are near it. But if the link between the two units is not good, it won't reach the Internet. There is probably a way to make the SSID of the repeater AP different from that of the main AP, so you know which one you're connecting to. That will allow you to test the link at short range (both units in the same room) to differentiate between a logical configuration problem versus lack of signal.

First, try with only the AP switched on. Turn off the power to the other unit. See if the AP can serve your computer directly at the place you need it.

If not, then you have to add the other unit. There are different ways the two can connect.
* Bridged (also called WDS) -- Each client obtains their IP address all the way from the main router at the source side. This requires the source AP to send special signals that ordinary APs (such as in a hotel) don't normally send. The exact encoding of the WDS signal also varies by vendor, so both units should be the same brand for reliable results.
* Routed -- The repeater unit obtains one IP address from the main router. All the users of the repeater get IP addresses from the repeater. These IPs must be in a different range for the system to work. The advantage here is that the repeater looks like a regular smartphone or laptop to the source system, and the signals from the AP can be standard.
Within routed there is NAT routed and symmetric routed, but beginners should stay with NAT enabled.
Finally there is psuedobridge, but this has a lot of problems, so don't even consider it.

Last edited:
OK, I know we discussed this all earlier in the thread, but what is the setup now, were you able to get a bridge configured? if so, a wired client at the remote location should be getting an IP address over DHCP from your main network.
The one at my house is specifically set up as an Access Point.

I can connect to its SSID at my home and get a proper IP address from my router.

The one at my other building is set up specifically as a client (per the instructions). The instructions don’t say how to set it up beyond that to get IP addresses for a computer or subsequent router connected.

To administer it, you set a static IP. Setting the computer to dynamic and using DHCP to renew a lease does nothing.

So I know the unit at my house gets internet, leases IP addresses, etc. the client side isn’t working.

The one at my house is specifically set up as an Access Point.

I can connect to its SSID at my home and get a proper IP address from my router.

The one at my other building is set up specifically as a client (per the instructions). The instructions don’t say how to set it up beyond that to get IP addresses for a computer or subsequent router connected.

To administer it, you set a static IP. Setting the computer to dynamic and using DHCP to renew a lease does nothing.

So I know the unit at my house gets internet, leases IP addresses, etc. the client side isn’t working.
OK, so, as a client, it's basically making a bridge. So, if it was connecting properly, you'd get a DHCP-assigned IP on your computer that you connect to it via ethernet. If that's not happening, then something in the setup isn't working properly.

For the sake of troubleshooting, can you bring the client AP closer to the host AP and see if it works?

You have directional antennas at both locations, right?

OK, so, as a client, it's basically making a bridge. So, if it was connecting properly, you'd get a DHCP-assigned IP on your computer that you connect to it via ethernet. If that's not happening, then something in the setup isn't working properly.

For the sake of troubleshooting, can you bring the client AP closer to the host AP and see if it works?

You have directional antennas at both locations, right?
That’s actually what I just did. Though it’s not that far away, I figure it’s easier to just do it all in my attic.

So I need to set it up tonight up there and see what I get.

Yes, two identical cpe210 directional antennas facing each other (with a bit of leaf interference) one set up through the sw as an AP, the other as a client.

Could be that though you’re supposed to have a static IP to administer a new unit, perhaps there’s some other setting needed to turn that off. The manual doesn’t say anything about it. But setting up up addresses to be obtained automatically doesn’t help. There is a LAN setting where it says to set static or dynamic, but I think that’s the IP of the client can the AP, since the AP is 192.168.0.254, and the instructions say to set the client IP to 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 and 253.

That’s actually what I just did. Though it’s not that far away, I figure it’s easier to just do it all in my attic.

So I need to set it up tonight up there and see what I get.

Yes, two identical cpe210 directional antennas facing each other (with a bit of leaf interference) one set up through the sw as an AP, the other as a client.

Could be that though you’re supposed to have a static IP to administer a new unit, perhaps there’s some other setting needed to turn that off. The manual doesn’t say anything about it. But setting up up addresses to be obtained automatically doesn’t help. There is a LAN setting where it says to set static or dynamic, but I think that’s the IP of the client can the AP, since the AP is 192.168.0.254, and the instructions say to set the client IP to 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 and 253.
The client AP should get an IP from the DHCP server, of course thats's going to change, so, for the sake of administration, typically you'd give it a static IP in the same subnet as your main network, just like if you were giving a static IP to any other client.

So, let's say your primary subnet is 192.168.50.xx/24 like you indicated earlier. Your main FW is 192.168.50.1. I typically reserve ranges on the top and bottom of the scope, so, say for example you capped your DHCP pool at 192.168.50.10-192.168.50.250 then you'd have 251-254 at the top available and 2-9 at the bottom. I typically put switches and devices on their own isolated VLAN, but clearly that's not an option here so, in your case I'd put them in the top reserved range.

So, your first access point would be 192.168.50.251, 2nd 192.168.50.252...etc.

So, your client AP, if your directional AP is 192.168.50.252, then the client would be 192.168.50.253

Any device connecting from behind 253 would get an IP from the DHCP pool, because it's acting like a bridge (or should be) and not doing any form of NAT, PAT or routing. It has an IP for the sake of management and tracking but should be bridging the radio interface to the LAN interface.

The client AP should get an IP from the DHCP server, of course thats's going to change, so, for the sake of administration, typically you'd give it a static IP in the same subnet as your main network, just like if you were giving a static IP to any other client.

So, let's say your primary subnet is 192.168.50.xx/24 like you indicated earlier. Your main FW is 192.168.50.1. I typically reserve ranges on the top and bottom of the scope, so, say for example you capped your DHCP pool at 192.168.50.10-192.168.50.250 then you'd have 251-254 at the top available and 2-9 at the bottom. I typically put switches and devices on their own isolated VLAN, but clearly that's not an option here so, in your case I'd put them in the top reserved range.

So, your first access point would be 192.168.50.251, 2nd 192.168.50.252...etc.

So, your client AP, if your directional AP is 192.168.50.252, then the client would be 192.168.50.253

Any device connecting from behind 253 would get an IP from the DHCP pool, because it's acting like a bridge (or should be) and not doing any form of NAT, PAT or routing. It has an IP for the sake of management and tracking but should be bridging the radio interface to the LAN interface.
Ok…

So I wonder why then if the AP was set as static 192.168.0.254, that it works fine and allows for providing up addresses that are in the 192.168.50.x range?

I’m good with changing it to a static value in the 192.168.50.x range on one or both if it helps with accessing dhcp from the router.

What I don’t understand still is why DHCP works for any computer connected to the AP, but not the client.

Once that works I want to connnext the Aruba wifi to the client instead. So I need to have that set up properly too… I guess to pull an IP address from DHCP (or set it as a static IP but one that allows connected items to get IP addresses.

Ok…

So I wonder why then if the AP was set as static 192.168.0.254, that it works fine and allows for providing up addresses that are in the 192.168.50.x range?

I’m good with changing it to a static value in the 192.168.50.x range on one or both if it helps with accessing dhcp from the router.

What I don’t understand still is why DHCP works for any computer connected to the AP, but not the client.

Once that works I want to connnext the Aruba wifi to the client instead. So I need to have that set up properly too… I guess to pull an IP address from DHCP (or set it as a static IP but one that allows connected items to get IP addresses.
By default, they typically have an OOTB "management" IP that's in whatever subnet they chose to run with, in this case, that's 192.168.0.x, and the device is 192.168.0.254. You would change that to match whatever subnet it is you are using so you don't have to statically put an IP on a client to get to the management interface. They can also use DHCP, but that of course then requires you to track down the client IP, so static is easier.

DHCP is working for client devices (not your client AP) because the AP is bridging its radio traffic to the LAN interface as designed. This should be happening on the other side of the connection, with the Client Bridge, assuming the device is properly authenticated to that same AP and traffic is being bridged from the radio to the LAN port.

Definitely test it at a shorter range to rule out a configuration issue. If it still doesn't work, then we need to look more closely at the config.

By default, they typically have an OOTB "management" IP that's in whatever subnet they chose to run with, in this case, that's 192.168.0.x, and the device is 192.168.0.254. You would change that to match whatever subnet it is you are using so you don't have to statically put an IP on a client to get to the management interface. They can also use DHCP, but that of course then requires you to track down the client IP, so static is easier.

DHCP is working for client devices (not your client AP) because the AP is bridging its radio traffic to the LAN interface as designed. This should be happening on the other side of the connection, with the Client Bridge, assuming the device is properly authenticated to that same AP and traffic is being bridged from the radio to the LAN port.

Definitely test it at a shorter range to rule out a configuration issue. If it still doesn't work, then we need to look more closely at the config.
This tplink stuff is such trash.

CE597F29-A2BC-4607-8F49-E24B489A5B60.jpeg

I have both antennas facing within maybe 10 feet of each other, and the receiving client end still only holds the signal for like 5 seconds before dropping it.

I tried putting the client into a 192.168.50.253 IP address and my computer at a static 192.168.50.10 to configure, and now I can’t log into the client end. It just spins and spins and says it is reading the IP in Firefox.

010E4E6D-F94E-476A-AD02-C6E8E4748114.jpeg
B88A6292-0C94-4865-9A9B-A817E6CDDB91.jpeg

That’s before I set the fallback IP to 192.168.50.254.

Static or dynamic don’t work, the connected computer doesn’t get data, and dhcp from the router doesn’t pass through.

D958777E-EE18-436F-A974-DE011C7E40EE.jpeg

It also never has any WAN info. But I don’t know if the WAN is supposed to be my router info or what? No way to set any of it either. The setup in these things is pretty terrible.

7B536D00-F799-4120-A90D-0E531544B81A.jpeg

Im typing this post with my phone connected to the AP end. Speeds are OK for being right next to it.

403F412E-E68A-4825-8A29-028C00039B98.png

And I get all the right IP info when comnecting through the AP instead of my router’s wifi.

51C15E31-AA0C-40FC-9757-052B2F11FB03.jpeg

I didn’t have to do anything on the AP for it to find my router and the 192.168.50.x IP addresses. I set nothing up other than that it is an AP.

So it seems to be entirely within the client.

Frankly I have no clue what I’m doing with this stuff and the tp link stuff has such poor information that it’s about to go in the trash. But I need wifi about 300 feet away in a straight line….

I’m going to factory reset this idiotic thing once more and if it doesn’t connect properly then I’m going to enjoy smashing it all I think.

Last edited:
Without testing an actual unit it's hard to be sure what those modes mean in standard networking terms. I think that your use case calls for Access Point on the first unit and Client or Repeater on the remote unit. Their "Bridge" sounds a lot like it would be psuedobridge and you really don't want that.

Select Client and connect your laptop to the Ethernet from the second unit. Does it get an IP from your home router (which is 192.168.50.X it looks like). Can the laptop now reach the Internet? In that case Client is a bridge but has no wifi output. Repeater would likely be the same as Client but bridges in a local AP so wifi devices could connect locally.

I use OpenWrt on everything, these devices should be compatible (check the version number on the label after the model number). OpenWrt is not point and click simple but it can get the device to do what you need.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/cpe210

This tplink stuff is such trash.

View attachment 106571
I have both antennas facing within maybe 10 feet of each other, and the receiving client end still only holds the signal for like 5 seconds before dropping it.

I tried putting the client into a 192.168.50.253 IP address and my computer at a static 192.168.50.10 to configure, and now I can’t log into the client end. It just spins and spins and says it is reading the IP in Firefox.

View attachment 106565View attachment 106566
That’s before I set the fallback IP to 192.168.50.254.

Static or dynamic don’t work, the connected computer doesn’t get data, and dhcp from the router doesn’t pass through.

View attachment 106567

It also never has any WAN info. But I don’t know if the WAN is supposed to be my router info or what? No way to set any of it either. The setup in these things is pretty terrible.

View attachment 106572

Im typing this post with my phone connected to the AP end. Speeds are OK for being right next to it.

View attachment 106568
And I get all the right IP info when comnecting through the AP instead of my router’s wifi.

View attachment 106570

I didn’t have to do anything on the AP for it to find my router and the 192.168.50.x IP addresses. I set nothing up other than that it is an AP.

So it seems to be entirely within the client.

Frankly I have no clue what I’m doing with this stuff and the tp link stuff has such poor information that it’s about to go in the trash. But I need wifi about 300 feet away in a straight line….

I’m going to factory reset this idiotic thing once more and if it doesn’t connect properly then I’m going to enjoy smashing it all I think.
OK, how the interfaces are labelled may vary here. Typically, it would be the WAN IP that would be the "client" IP in this case, IF the device is assigning the WAN interface to the radio. I'm not sure if it is, it could just be bridging (or supposed to be bridging) the radio to the LAN interface too.

As mk378 noted, and I noted earlier, the LAN port on the AP should be where you are able to get an IP from your main network. If you aren't, then something definitely isn't passing traffic or some part of the process is failing.

Let's make this setup even simpler for the sake of testing. Make the network it is trying to connect to an open network (not WPA2). Does it connect and pass traffic then? That will let us know if it's an issue pertaining to authentication.

OK, how the interfaces are labelled may vary here. Typically, it would be the WAN IP that would be the "client" IP in this case, IF the device is assigning the WAN interface to the radio. I'm not sure if it is, it could just be bridging (or supposed to be bridging) the radio to the LAN interface too.

As mk378 noted, and I noted earlier, the LAN port on the AP should be where you are able to get an IP from your main network. If you aren't, then something definitely isn't passing traffic or some part of the process is failing.

Let's make this setup even simpler for the sake of testing. Make the network it is trying to connect to an open network (not WPA2). Does it connect and pass traffic then? That will let us know if it's an issue pertaining to authentication.

My network is:
Router - powerline adapters (2) - CPE210 AP - air gap - cpe210 client - laptop

I get internet at the router, the far end powerline adapter, and the CPE210 AP.

I don’t get it at the CPE210 client, regardless of if it is an open or encrypted connection.

When I look at how my iPhone is connecting to the sender AP SSID, it’s automatic.

But when I try to set the hard wired laptop connected to the client to dynamically and automatically get an IP, it fails. So there is something wrong with the settings that cause that.

I went and set up the two units again from scratch. I guess setting them up in close proximity instead of in place helped somehow. The two are now locked onto each other, and the “client” isn’t dropping signal every five seconds.

When I set them up remotely I did find the AP that was broadcasting, and locked to it. I guess it wasn’t really locked on.

Now we will have to see if when I take it to the right location further apart, if it can re-make the connection, and if power is lost on either end, if it will re-establish.

Just 10 feet apart, and the speed is much slower. I’m running on a 2008 MBP and Firefox won’t even upgrade. Speedtest by ookla won’t load on it, this other speedtest doesnt seem to be able to upload, but I can reach websites.

FA3C3A33-ACE2-4091-8DFE-239E897C3950.jpeg

Last edited:
Now I think I want to allocate 192.168.50.253 and .254 in MerlinWRT on my router to not be dynamically set, right? Don’t want there to be conflicts so I need to make those off limits to the DHCP server, right??

image.jpg

Or should I manually assign it in the router SW?

image.jpg

Looking at this FAQ
I see all the scenarios are providing your laptop with a =wired= Ethernet connection.
I think you're trying to use a wireless radio on your laptop and that's where the frustration is coming from.
Just checking: Is your laptop (which represents a computing device in the remote building) connected via wired Ethernet to the CPE210?

Or should I manually assign it in the router SW?
Yes do that (also called a reservation). Leaving the CPEs in DHCP mode instead of static is good because if you change the IP range of your router, or replace the whole router, the CPEs will still get a usable IP address. You would log into the main router and examine its lease table to find the IP of the connected CPE(s).

The typical home doesn't need a pool of 250 DHCP addresses. Also I like to use a short lease time in case something goes wrong it will resolve itself faster than a week.

Looking at this FAQ
I see all the scenarios are providing your laptop with a =wired= Ethernet connection.
I think you're trying to use a wireless radio on your laptop and that's where the frustration is coming from.
Just checking: Is your laptop (which represents a computing device in the remote building) connected via wired Ethernet to the CPE210?
I’m trying to do essentially this from the FAQ you linked:

CCDC67F6-5AFA-4233-B6ED-EE8FECD01D74.jpeg

There’s probably a better one that shows a router on one side and data consumers on the client side, but this will suffice.

Ultimately the client side connects in my case to an Aruba instant on AP-11. I’m just trying to use the two CPE210 antennas to directionally beam wifi from. Y house to an outbuilding.

I was able to connect to the AP SSID and get data as a test only. Ultimately I don’t want that AP SSID broadcasting. I just want it locked between the AP and client only.

I was checking the lan on the client side because that’s where we get data going to the Aruba. If I can’t even get an IP address and data on the client side with a connected laptop, then there’s trouble. For now I DO seem to get data, so I’m going to set up the Aruba and hopefullly will be able to then use that as a wifi connection point for other stuff.

Yes do that (also called a reservation). Leaving the CPEs in DHCP mode instead of static is good because if you change the IP range of your router, or replace the whole router, the CPEs will still get a usable IP address. You would log into the main router and examine its lease table to find the IP of the connected CPE(s).

The typical home doesn't need a pool of 250 DHCP addresses. Also I like to use a short lease time in case something goes wrong it will resolve itself faster than a week.
Ok so I set the DHCP pool to only go up to .252, then renamed and assigned the two antennas with IP addresses .253 and .254 which seems to be the preferred numbers they recommend. I didn’t set the powerline adapter MACs to have a static IP, fwiw.

I'll also note that the only reason a bridge device like these CPEs in bridge mode or a powerline adapter needs an IP is to have a way to log in and set it up. User's data to or from any IP can always pass through a bridge. The powerline adapters that I have have no way to configure an IP address since they never need one.

Back