Direct TV Genie

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just installed this box as a replacement for our HD box.

Problem : The new unit doesn't auto record 90 minutes of playback when left on a station. Our HD unit would do this regardless of whether or not the box was on.

We've called DTV and they don't know whether their new box has this function.

We just upgraded from a HD DVR to Genie.

I do not think my old HD DVR auto recorded anything.

However when looking at the Guide, there are show which list a replay icon on the row for that channel and those can be rewound during playback.

When I first turn on my HR34 (so that all the front-panel lights are on), there is no playback history.

If I leave the HR34 on, a 90-minute playback history is maintained.

So your observation matches mine.

Yeah, it's annoying.
21.gif

It's standard for boxes to not record when they are turned off. This is a power saving feature, as when in standby mode the boxes actually shut off a lot of the hardware, including the hard drive, which lowers power consumption. Unless you'd prefer they pull the full power whether or not they are turned on.

Things actually turn off when you turn them off #whataconcept

My parents have DTV genie with an HR44, and this is the same behavior. Same as with every time warner cable box I've ever had.

Turn off the power saving option somewhere in settings. Worked for me

Last edited:
Why would you do that. If you want it to record all the time, leave the thing on. Don't turn it off. You are completely defeating the purpose of turning it off in the first place- power savings. Just leave it on 24/7 if you are that worried about your 90 minutes of recording time and don't care about wasting the electricity.

On mine the default setting was to power down after 4 hours, you must defeat the setting to allow for continuous 90 min rewind capabilities. The difference in power use is minimal. It is political window dressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back