Direct injection and a long living healthy engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Depends.
Not sure about Ford.

You can count on Ford to screw their customers. Just look at: Triton spark plug holes stripping out (round I), Triton spark plug break-offs (round II), PowerStroke 6.0L. If it's a Ford engine problem, it's your problem.

Same can be said of Honda. I speak from experience.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Issues with GDI engines aren't just whether they accumulate carbon on the intake valves. They use high pressure fuel pumps with up to 2,000 lbs per in^2 of pressure. Leaking fuel into the oil is now a greater danger.
Fuel injectors now experience the extremes of the combustion chamber.

They are working on these problems and the newer engines are much better

Considering that many modern diesels have injection pressures that are well over 10x what you stated and not experiencing any fuel dilution, maybe the gas engine folks ought to give Cummins, Detroit, Mack/Volvo, etc a call to help them work out the problems.

As for buying a new vehicle, DI doesn't really rate much on the list of things that bother me. There are so many other issues with the way OEM's are going in auto design that any future auto purchase for me is going to really be a miserable experience. I will occasionally scour the web looking at various OEM vehicles and it doesn't take long for me to get frustrated and quit looking. Nice thing though. I won't be shelling out any money on a new vehicle until absolutely necessary. I will never succumb to impulse buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back