Dino with best detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK folks, take it easy on me, I'm a real amateur here. I have a 98 Camry with 66k miles on it. It's one of the engines with a tendency to sludge, but I've had the dealer take off the valve cover and he reports "absolutely no sludge." I've also just found a highly reputable independent mechanic who I want to take care of this car for me. He is not a fan of synthetic (NO OFFENSE!). He has his reasons, but let's just say that since the car has done so well on dino so far I'm willing to go with him. Here's my question. He says Valvoline Max Life is the best for this engine. I notice it does claim to have cleaning properties. What do you think, is this a good oil to use as a preventative against sludge in an engine with that tendancy? Is there a better dino at lubricating and cleaning? Naturally, I'll do the changes every 3k miles. He also recommends a wix filter. He even said I can go buy the stuff myself, on sale and by the case, and he'll do the change for five bucks.

Thanks,
Doug

Most of your diesel oils will ahve the highest detergancy...Rotella, Delvac 1300 ect....I have just switched my car over to Penzzoil Long Life It has some of the best properties of any dino oil out there..here is s virgin oil analysis...
code:

Test was done by Oil Analyzers

Iron 0ppm

Chromium 0ppm

Lead 0ppm

Copper 0ppm

Tin 0ppm

Aluminum 0ppm

Nickel 0ppm

Silver 0ppm

Silicon 0ppm

Boron 91ppm

Sodium 0ppm

Magnesium 0ppm

Calcium 3051ppm

Barium 0ppm

Phophorous 1001ppm

Zinc 1206ppm

Molybdenum 128ppm

Titanium 0ppm

Vanadium 0ppm

Potassium 0ppm

VIS@100C 15.11

TBN 10.34

note the high levels of calcuim and zinc( both for detergancy and anti wear} and note the high levels of Moly...higher then mobile 1.
Cost about 6.99 for 1 gallon !

I'm not the most oil knowledgable guy around here, but here's my opinion. I think there's nothing at all wrong with using dino, my last truck had nearly 200K on it when I sold it and still ran very strong. Wix filters are a good filter from both my experience and what I've read. I think you can do better than Valvoline hi-mile for the same money, I don't think an engine with 66K warrants a hi-mile oil, but from my readings I would choose Pennzoil Hi-Mile over the Valvoline. Bearing in mind your change interval, I myself would use Chevron Supreme, its a very good oil that costs about half what the above mentioned oils do, you could pay for more than a few Auto-RX treatments with the savings if sludge ever does becomes an issue.

Delo, Delvac, Longlife, Rotella all good if you want a higher detergent/dispersant dosage plus I dont think that Camry engine can beat these oils into sludge to begin with.

quote:

Originally posted by williar:
Wix filters are good, but I'd stay from the Valvoline. Use Pennzoil, Chevron, Havoline, Castrol GTX, or Mobil Drive Clean instead.

Some of these in the high mileage version will get you a dose of esters as well. I wouldn't think the engine is a candidate for a solid 40 weight diesel oil just yet ... high 30 weight should be satisfactory.

And by the way,
welcome.gif
to the board.

[ November 04, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: doyall ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Delo, Delvac, Longlife, Rotella all good if you want a higher detergent/dispersant dosage plus I dont think that Camry engine can beat these oils into sludge to begin with.

I agree, but I think 15w40 is a bit much for Ohio winters, it seems the thinner HDEO's are somewhat hard to find.

IMHO, I think that if you stay with 3k intervals, you should be fine with any oil. I would not go with a 15w40 around here in the winter. I would use a 5w30 in a conventional in the winter. I have a 99 camry with the 2.2, and I posted an excellent UOA yesterday with mobil 1 and a wix filter.

Great replies. Thanks for the help. In case it matters, my Camry is the V6 with the 3.0. Late spring through fall I hope to do a bit of towing with our new pop up camper. I was wondering if I really needed a high milage oil myself. It's the detergent additive I'm most interested in. So it sounds like no one favors the Valvoline.

And thanks for the welcome. This is an intriguing board.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back