dino vs synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so far everyone has sayed with 3k changes synthetics are of no use, but what about for someone who does 3k changes but runs there engine hard from time to time, eg high rpm?

Synthetics are always better for your engine, just not worth the money if you drain early.

A good standard oil, correct grade, well warmed up, is fine at high rpms.

Ken

High RPM usually means you are trying to produce a lot of power for the engine capacity, which means you are generating a large heat rate in the engine. Since oil is part of your engine's cooling system, it's important that the oil wet to the metal surfaces well and be an effective carrier of heat energy. Synthetic does both of these some degree better than dino oil.

You also need a consistently high film strength for high RPM because of the speeds and bearing loads. Again, synthetics give an extra measure of protection.

S2000 I understand your point but what If one was using dino oil but also changing the oil every 1500k miles?

then synthetic would be a waste, but who the heck is that dumb to change the oil every 1500 mi unless you race the dang car that much. Even dinos can go a little past 3.5 maybe 4k tops.

Because here at walmart castrol gtx every once in a while goes on sale for 5 dollars.
So to do a change that often will keep the engine cleaner.
So 5 dollars isn't a big deal, am I wrong?

The biggest reason to change your [normally aspirated] engine oil frequently is short trips. If you are filling your crankcase with lots of blow-by moisture, unburnt, and burnt gasses... the acid created can quickly use up the additives in the oil used to fight them.

7500 miles using any API-SL oil (dino or syn) should be OK if all your trips are above 10 miles, more during the winter.

[ February 02, 2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
Because here at walmart castrol gtx every once in a while goes on sale for 5 dollars.
So to do a change that often will keep the engine cleaner.
So 5 dollars isn't a big deal, am I wrong?

True but do you really want to be under your car so often? Why not do a few oil analysis tests and it'll help you determine a safe interval?

quote:

Originally posted by rick:
S2000 I understand your point but what If one was using dino oil but also changing the oil every 1500k miles?

Think of all the un-nessacary DRY starts over the life of the motor with those type change practices.

Ever heard those higher mile motors knocking as the oil is picked up after a change? It's a ugly sound for sure and bound to create some wear if not whole lot
smile.gif
As in a SWAG equal to 1.5k or more of actual running time . Hey,that should be some kinda test huh?
wink.gif

ASTM car does not knock with 100k miles when oil and filter is changed test ?
tongue.gif

That's because when people change there oil the filter is dry. When I change my oil and filter I don't need to jack it up. I can just crawl right under the drain the oil. Then for the filter when I put my new one on I fill it up to let the media soak up the oil. So nothing is dry, I never have an noise problems when starting my car with new oil.
So I have no idea what you mean by dry starts.
My filter is already full of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back