Dino vs Synthetic 5w30 cold pour test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outstanding test. I use semi-synthetic in my truck and full synthetic in my wifes SUV, but we live in Texas where our winters involve temperatures approaching 30 degrees F. If we lived in a colder region of the world, I would definetely use full synthetic all the time, every time!

That's fine but it wouldn't be any of the oils used in that terrible video since none of them are true full synthetics nor would you need one.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
I would definetely use full synthetic all the time, every time!

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
"Moble"? Really? Besides, pour point means little. Bad video. I want my 2 minutes back.

Really? It shows that synthetic seems to show an advantage at low temps against dino in the same grade. Engine oil doesn't "pour" through the engine, but it needs to get thru the screen.

Last edited:
Most of my vehicles and those of my customers have only seen conventional their entire lives and they started just fine in winter.

It's funny how mot worry about their motor oil and don't give two cents about the other fluids like power steering or axle lubes. I opened up a Jeep's rear Dana 44 out on the trail during a snow run to repair an air locker. The gear oil was solid and I picked it out like jello and put it in a bag. When the repair was done, I gooped it back in, closed the diff, and continued our wheeling trip (it was -6*F that day).

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
"Moble"? Really? Besides, pour point means little. Bad video. I want my 2 minutes back.

Really? It shows that synthetic seems to show an advantage at low temps against dino in the same grade. Engine oil doesn't "pour" through the engine, but it needs to get thru the screen.

No doubt there's an advantage but the oil pump would pump any of the oils in that guy's test just fine. Unless it's super cold, the main advantage would be less parasitic loss.

Relevant test starts at 4:13.

It's funny how divided some people are about oil. Even when provided with concrete evidence, they refuse to change their beliefs as if it's a religion. No wonder 66% of the North American PCMO market is ruled by pure dino.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
...No wonder 66% of the North American PCMO market is ruled by pure dino.

Would you say that's a bad thing? If so, why?

Europe has a much higher percentage of synthetic use which is why most European cars come with 10k-15k mile OCI. As everyone knows, switching to synthetic with a higher OCI will save the environment. Even if most of the used oil is recycled, it still takes a lot of energy to re-refine it and most of that energy still comes from burning fossil fuels.

It's not just about extended OCI, it's also about decreasing wear @ cold start up. Considering how cheap full synthetic oil is in the USA, I don't see why people would stick to dino unless the engine is burning a lot of oil (in which case it should be fixed anyways).

Walmart has 5qt jugs of synth for $22 right? Aren't conventional 5qt jugs around $15? This makes synth around 46% more in cost than dino, but you can easily extend the OCI by more than 50% and still have the cold start benefit, not to mention saving time/money by changing oil less often.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Here is a quote from Doug Hillary from another thread. Looks like those synthetics aren't all that great at start up protection with extended OCIs. That also sheds some more light as to why Canadian OCIs fall automatically into severe service schedule for most manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
babbittd - This may assist in your ponderings, this excerpt is from an article in LUBE REPORT, Volume 12, Issue 14 from 12/4/2012 concerning Daimler AGs lubricant development programme, it gives some insight into the needs of continuing lubricant development.

“The upgrade is also awaiting completion of a CEC bench test for low-temperature pumpability of aged oils. Such a test became a priority for European automakers after a rash of engine failures suffered in Europe during an extreme cold spate in the winter of 2008-2009. The failures were attributed to engine oils that turned to gel.”

Europe has a much higher percentage of synthetic use which is why most European cars come with 10k-15k mile OCI. As everyone knows, switching to synthetic with a higher OCI will save the environment. Even if most of the used oil is recycled, it still takes a lot of energy to re-refine it and most of that energy still comes from burning fossil fuels.

It's not just about extended OCI, it's also about decreasing wear @ cold start up. Considering how cheap full synthetic oil is in the USA, I don't see why people would stick to dino unless the engine is burning a lot of oil (in which case it should be fixed anyways).

Walmart has 5qt jugs of synth for $22 right? Aren't conventional 5qt jugs around $15? This makes synth around 46% more in cost than dino, but you can easily extend the OCI by more than 50% and still have the cold start benefit, not to mention saving time/money by changing oil less often.

Originally Posted By: wemay

But you cannot cherry pick prices. The cheapest top name brand regular priced conventional Is MS5K at $12.66. You did, however, select the cheapest regulary priced top name brand syn, QSUD, $21.97.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for providing an interest test to demonstrate viscosity. I don't understand why some self-appointed experts would object and make snide comments. Ed

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Here is a quote from Doug Hillary from another thread. Looks like those synthetics aren't all that great at start up protection with extended OCIs. That also sheds some more light as to why Canadian OCIs fall automatically into severe service schedule for most manufacturers.

Yes, this has always been an issue up here: How long does 5w-XX (or whatever) keep the 5w- specification during the interval?

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Most of my vehicles and those of my customers have only seen conventional their entire lives and they started just fine in winter.

It's funny how mot worry about their motor oil and don't give two cents about the other fluids like power steering or axle lubes. I opened up a Jeep's rear Dana 44 out on the trail during a snow run to repair an air locker. The gear oil was solid and I picked it out like jello and put it in a bag. When the repair was done, I gooped it back in, closed the diff, and continued our wheeling trip (it was -6*F that day).

x2

Oil does pour in the engine. How else will it drain back to the pan? PP is very important if climate calls for it.

Europe has a much higher percentage of synthetic use which is why most European cars come with 10k-15k mile OCI.

I think you've got cart/horse inversion...they don't run long OCIs because they run synthetics, they run synthetics because of their extended OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back