Dino to M1 --> Now revs less freely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

I have completed the switchover from Dino to M1 on my Toyota and 2 Hondas. The most recent switch was made this week on my new Civic at 4K miles - its first oil change. All of the engines ran great before and they are noticably quieter now - this is great! However, I feel that they do not rev as freely with M1 as with the old Dino. I wonder if my senses are thrown-off because they are now quieter.

Has anyone else observed this with M1? If so, what is the reason? M1 is supposed to be really slippery, so I thought that internal friction would be reduced compared to Dino.

I am not racing them, but have tried to minimize the number of variables before posting this message.

I appreciate your inputs!

SWS

1997 Toyota Camry 4-Cyl (Sludge Motor)
Dino: Pennzoil 10W-30
Synth: M1 5W-30

2000 Honda Odyssey
Dino: Valvoline 5W-30

2003 Honda Civic
Dino: Factory Fill

I know that the Civic calls for 5W-20, but the dealer likes to use 5W-30 in it, and from what I have read on BITOG, the M1 5W-30 is thin - they say it is barely a 30 weight oil. I am trying to standardize on one oil for all cars.

I'm going to wager that the difference you're perceiving is either
A) in your head
or
B) due to some factor besides your motor oil.

I mean no disrespect with the above.

Something in my head? Well, yes, there was that little incident with the harpoon through my skull the other day, but I don't see how that is relevant to this discussion! Ha! Seriously, I appreciate your inputs! Since I am not in a lab / not on a racetrack with a stopwatch, it is indeed hard to eliminate all other variables, but I have driven on the same roads, used the same gas, turned the A/C off, tire pressures are the same, etc. The cars run just great before / after the switch to M1, but now they just seem a little quieter and perhaps a little "bogged-down". Previously, with Dino, my OCI was 3 months / 3500 miles, so I don't think that the Dino was thinning-out much.

SWS

Without proper instrumentation such seat of the pants feelings are not reliable. I always feel like my cars run better after an oil change, but I know that such is just in my head.

I can think of no reasonable reason why Mobil-1 5W-30 would, for example, result in less power output in a fresh engine than would a typical dino 5W-30.

Your Civic would have come with 5W-20 from the factory, so it is possible that the 5W-30 is enough thicker so as to cause more drag on the engine.

John

HMMM Well I can't offer much help....except that I own a 99 toyota camry with the 2.2, and I can't tell any difference in power between pennzoil 5w30, M1 5w30, and GC 0w30........although the GC does seem to make the engine run quieter.
dunno.gif

I would think the oil that came out should be relatively thicker than the M1 that went in....do you mean the car actually has less power....less torque? Or that it doesn't rev as freely in the driveway?

Makes zero sense...but my cars always run better with fresh oil, so what do I know??

Maybe it isn't a viscosity issue, maybe it's a ring sealing thing.

Are you driving the same speeds in MPH on the speedometer? Some folks have said when they switched oils, fewer RPM's were needed to drive the same speed.

Yes, I have tried to use the same driving technique and go the same speeds on the same streets and roads. However, even though I have A/T in all of my cars, I am historically a manual shifter. I find that I put a lot of mental "weight" on how the engine sounds, how high I think it is revving, etc. Since the engines are quieter now with M1, I find myself checking the tach more often to verify the shift points. I do not race my cars or push them hard, but I get the definite impression that I am driving like Granny because the engines are not revving as freely....

Easiest way to tell is to check your mpg, if what you say is true, you should notice a slight decrease in mpg from the dino oil you where using. If it's in your head, I'll bet the synthetic gives you slightly more mpg, of course this only works if you know what you where getting before the oil change. Check the plugs and wires and don't forget the tire pressure, all these things can have an effect on your miles mpg. Let us know what you find out.

I can't explain it, but my 3800 Series II V-6 seemed to slug up after going to M1 10W-30. It seemed like it took 5k or so to get used to it.

M1 definitely stays in grade and doesn't thin like the dino's.

Give it a chance and you'll like the M1.
grin.gif

SWS;
If the Civic seems to be revving less 'freely' after the switch to M1 5W-30, I can tell you that I experienced the same thing with my Honda van when I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30. It didn't become really apparent until I switched back from M1 5W-30 to M1 0W-20...the lighter stuff really seems to let the engine wind up easier.

I like the lighter weight oil - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
SWS;
If the Civic seems to be revving less 'freely' after the switch to M1 5W-30, I can tell you that I experienced the same thing with my Honda van when I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30. It didn't become really apparent until I switched back from M1 5W-30 to M1 0W-20...the lighter stuff really seems to let the engine wind up easier.

I like the lighter weight oil - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Yep. Thinner always revs better. M1 stays in grade and holds it viscosity. I bet his Valvoline really thinned. Even the Pennzoil 10-30 will, but it still a friction modified, starburst oil also.

He probably just seeing the true 30 wt."stay in grade" effect of M1. They don't use the thin out quick to boost gas mileage trick.

I agree...the car probably came with 0/5-20 from the factory and that could be what you're noticing. Otherwise, I too have noticed a more sluggish engine from M-1 products than other synth's of the same weight. Suggestion: try another brand synth. and get back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back