dino oil vs. synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us know that a synthetic oil will provide improved cold weather protection, longer drain intervals, better high temperature protection. Given equal circumstances meaning 3000 intervals, year round mild temperatures and normal driving with some stop and go driving, do we know if synthetic oil will provide better protection over common dino oils. I am talking about PAO synthetic not the group III type. UOA have shown this to be an on going question. Any feelings?

normal driving? id be surprised to see normal driving unless you lived in a country or small populated town. For me, synthetics are the way to go, can easily go beyond 3000 miles without having to worry that the oil is shot.

rock:

This isn't really an answer to your question, but more an echo of your sentiments. As I see it, the main advantages to running synthetics are the ability to do extended drains, and the superior cold weather start-up protection. For me, however, I just don't think they make economic sense. I have several older cars, none of which gets driven more than 6-8,000 miles per year, and I live in an area than never gets cold. These cars are not babied, but they aren't driven especially hard, either. Two have made it past 200K running on Castrol GTX, Valvoline, Pennzoil and Quaker State for the most part. Yes, I have tried and run both Mobil 1 and Amsoil, and yes, they might give me UOAs with a few ppms lower wear numbers. For right now, though, I think I'm going to stick with whatever decent conventional oils Wal-Mart has on sale.

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
Most of us know that a synthetic oil will provide improved cold weather protection, longer drain intervals, better high temperature protection. Given equal circumstances meaning 3000 intervals, year round mild temperatures and normal driving with some stop and go driving, do we know if synthetic oil will provide better protection over common dino oils. I am talking about PAO synthetic not the group III type. UOA have shown this to be an on going question. Any feelings?

Like a rock, look at my analysis and that will answer your question. http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000211;p=2#000069
As I started out to prove just that, using a blend with approx 28-30%pao, I tested it, then switched to the same exact oil(additives and such the same) but without the pao base stock, just the plain mineral oil counter part to the blend, viscosity the same and everything, only changed to a cheaper filter, and as you can see, wear numbers actually dropped. continued that test, then finally switched to the same base stock oil only thinner viscosity 5w30 mineral, and wear dropped even some more. I'm now running the 5w30 counter part blend and soon will be pulling another sample and see how the pao added to the base stock did on did not improve on the wear numbers. I don't expect it to be much if any. We'll see soon.
bob

I change my oil and filter every 3 to 4K and I don't keep a vehicle past 6 years or 200,000 miles, so dino works for me. If I lived in a area where temps got below -20F I would use syn, but that would be the only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back