Dino oil safe for high revving engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tai

What's your opinion about a good 10w30 conventional oil being used in a small, high-revving (7000RPM) car engine? The driver, BTW, redlines the car daily.

Are the good dino oils pretty shear stable in this application? Should the change interval be reduced to 3K miles? Should synthetic be used?

Thanks!

I use Chevron Supreme 10w-30 in my integra with a 8100 RPM redline. Engine seems to like this oil since I no longer consume oil like I once did with Mobil 1 and runs very smoothly at 123,000 miles. I was very skeptical to use dino oil in my car, but since I cannot justify the additional cost of synthetics I decided to use dino oil instead. And from the UOA's I've seen from this website and others using dino in these engines, I am no longer worried. You are safe to use both types of oil. I would side more with synthetics if you were going to say autocross/race your car or if you car utilizes forced induction.

I'm driving a Mazda6s which has a 7300 redline with 0w-20 mobil1. My UOA's are posted in the UOA section. Just do a search for 0w-20.

(Car calls for 5w-20 weight oils).

Whoops I just realized my post is pointless...since were talking dino oils here. Oh well. Sorry for the waste of space.
pat.gif

I have a Honda S2000, with a redline of 9000 RPM. The manudacturer does not say to use synthetic oil, but most owners do.

I believe that it has more to do with the temperatures the oil sees, and not the RPM. If you're using a turbo, I'd definitely use synthetic. If you spend a lot of time up near redline (regardless of how high it is), then I'd spend the extra bucks and get a shear-stable, low volatility synthetic (and not just an off-the-shelf group-III).

HondaRD, how often do you change the oil? Is the interval the max that the UOA's indicate is reasonable for Chevron Supreme in your car?

I do an equal amount of city and highway driving so I change it out about every 3-4k and been using a wix filter. Even though I have not done a UOA, I am pretty confident that this interval is not too conservative nor too risky. Living in a fairly moderate climate environment where the extremes are not too great, I feel this is a good regime. I think starting with my next oil change I will change my oil filter from a wix to a purolator premium plus to save $2. My roomates Prelude has a redline of ~7200 rpm and never has used synthetic oil and runs better than most cars with 110,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back