Dinner when wife is out of town

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Wife is visiting the grandsons in Colorado this week.

In the past when my Wife was out of town, I would go out to eat most nights. I have been finding the enjoyability of going out to eat less and less.

Little meal tonight, all from LIDL.

Lasagna: $3.19
Antipasto- $2.19
Cheese roll- $0.79
Australian Shiraz- $5.99

Super easy to clean up. I don't like to microwave meals, so the lasagna takes about 1 hour in the oven.

Last night I had one antipasto and two cheese rolls for dinner. I have to say, the antipasto is really enjoyable, and the price can't be beat.

On a side note, I am not allowed to watch what I like on TV I like when my Wife is home. She puts on things "we both should like". I go along with it; I have spent more nights away from home than with her over the past decades- so she wins that battle. On TV tonight is Kojak and Rockford Files. Love seeing the cars in both series. Always amazed at the "boats" the detectives drive in Kojack.

PXL_20220301_232237213.jpg

Last edited:
What is LIDL?

Looks really tasty! Just watch the salt content in those meat and cheese packages. In addition to heart health, they can effect your kidneys if you're susceptible to kidney stones.

In the past when my Wife was out of town, I would go out to eat most nights. I have been finding the enjoyability of going out to eat less and less.

Antipasto- $2.19
Cheese roll- $0.79
Australian Shiraz- $5.99

Super easy to clean up. I don't like to microwave meals, so the lasagna takes about 1 hour in the oven.

Last night I had one antipasto and two cheese rolls for dinner. I have to say, the antipasto is really enjoyable, and the price can't be beat.

On a side note, I am not allowed to watch what I like on TV I like when my Wife is home. She puts on things "we both should like". I go along with it; I have spent more nights away from home than with her over the past decades- so she wins that battle. On TV tonight is Kojak and Rockford Files. Love seeing the cars in both series. Always amazed at the "boats" the detectives drive in Kojack.

View attachment 90943
Looks great. I love those tv shows and “Columbo”. He’s a legend

Reactions: GON
What is LIDL?

Looks really tasty! Just watch the salt content in those meat and cheese packages. In addition to heart health, they can effect your kidneys if you're susceptible to kidney stones.

Lidl Stiftung & Co. KG (German pronunciation: [ˈliːdl̩]; UK: /ˈlɪdəl/ LID-əl) is a German international discount retailer chain[1] that operates over 11,000 stores across Europe and the United States.[2] Headquartered in Neckarsulm, Baden-Württemberg, the company belongs to the Schwarz Group, which also operates the hypermarket chain Kaufland.

Lidl is the chief competitor of the similar German discount chain Aldi in several markets.[3] There are Lidl stores in almost every member state of the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Serbia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Antipasto- $2.19
Cheese roll- $0.79
Australian Shiraz- $5.99

View attachment 90943
GON,

Glad you are livin' it up while wife is gone. Speaking of old TV shows with "Boats" . Remember the detective Cannon? He drove all those big Lincoln Mark series cars. Unfortunately most of those are now "rusting relics".
1646181165068.jpg

GON,

Glad you are livin' it up while wife is gone. Speaking of old TV shows with "Boats" . Remember the detective Cannon? He drove all those big Lincoln Mark series cars. Unfortunately most of those are now "rusting relics".
View attachment 90955
WT44, that is (was) a beautiful car. I can't believe it's at the pick n pull.

Ok guys, please keep your brand bashing in check. We all choose to drive what we do......as we should,.......because we are paying for the car, the insurance, the maintenance, the risk mitigation, the depreciation, and any possible on-going taxes.

Lincoln sold a lot of cars in the market at the time. We all know then the market shifted as a result of the oil embargo, and other market factors.

Ok guys, please keep your brand bashing in check. We all choose to drive what we do......as we should,.......because we are paying for the car, the insurance, the maintenance, the risk mitigation, the depreciation, and any possible on-going taxes.

Lincoln sold a lot of cars in the market at the time. We all know then the market shifted as a result of the oil embargo, and other market factors.
Yea-that Lincoln I'm sure weighs as much as my 2018 Silverado Crew Cab.....

(I don't drink the Kool-Aid....)

Lidl Stiftung & Co. KG (German pronunciation: [ˈliːdl̩]; UK: /ˈlɪdəl/ LID-əl) is a German international discount retailer chain[1] that operates over 11,000 stores across Europe and the United States.[2] Headquartered in Neckarsulm, Baden-Württemberg, the company belongs to the Schwarz Group, which also operates the hypermarket chain Kaufland.

Lidl is the chief competitor of the similar German discount chain Aldi in several markets.[3] There are Lidl stores in almost every member state of the European Union as well as in Switzerland, Serbia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

I spent quite a bit of time in Germany after I left law enforcement. I came to know Aldi quite well over there.
Shortly thereafter, they started opening stores here(PA, NJ, DE) I loved it. Lidl, in my opinion, is better. Bigger, more variety, same or better prices, great bakery as you enter(of course).
We're fortunate that we are located where they go up against each other.
I think most Americans are more familiar with the "other Aldi"... Trader Joe's.

Rockford is my favorite show ever. I'd build a 77 gold esprit replica if I had the time.
Definitely can understand that The Rockford Files is your favorite show. The show has a great cast of characters, from SGT Becker, Rocky, Angel, and or course the lovely "Beth Davenport". Great story lines, awesome 1970s California setting. Heck, even Jim's answering machine is entertaining.

Last edited:
I've seen both Lidl and Aldi stores and must say I'm impressed.
a) Here and there they've been opened in what I'd call "fringe food deserts". aka where they're needed.

b) A big Aldi opened on Rt. 254 in Queensbury, NY but never took off. There were too many other big, revamped grocery stores close by.

c) The Lidl chain claims to have more floor space dedicated to seasonal items than Aldi; ~20% vs, ~15%. Bins of Winter gloves and Summer toys get scattered about and the workers don't police it. As a result those aisles in the Lidl stores can look a tad unkempt. Too bad.

d) I like the smattering of odd food products they both offer. Though I haven't bought a half-a-smoked duck yet, I plan to.

e) BOTH chains' management has a bad grip on front-of-store. Frequently there's only one cashier and the self check-out machines (at least at Lidl) don't take cash. I get the fact that makes said machines cheaper but it kills the chance of people popping in for a thing or two.

f) Lidl seems to have banked on their baked goods as a come on. There's a big selection of breads and rolls. Makes sense as bakeries are closing all the time.

Give both a look when you have a chance but remember to bring your own bags. I've no interest in either concern.

And as far as Rockford Files and Columbo goes.....BRING BACK BURN NOTICE!

I have heard great things about Lidl. I do not know of any here in the mid-west. Aldi recently remodeled several of their stores here in STL. They expanded the produce sections, as well as added a dedicated wine section. I am sucker for Clancy brand snacks, and I like the ice cream bars, and ice cream sandwiches in the frozen section......brings back memories of my time as kid running down the Jeep Ice Cream truck.
1646433476739.jpg

Reactions: GON
Back