digital photo storage

My wife takes a large quantity of pictures with her cell phone. She exceeded the "free" storage threshold on her google account and we are paying $1.99 a month for added storage.
I like the convenience of cloud storage, but l think it is foolish to spend $24 a year for this.
Anyone have any good suggestions for an alternative?

If you can accept the slightly reduced quality, there is no cap on storage on with google photos.

Check your backup settings if you want to use this option. I've not had a problem with it.

Having seen cloud accounts vaporize a few times get an 8tb ext disk from Costco and backup the pics and phone to it. Many router firewalls now also provide cloud connectivity to devices over wifi to locally connected USB thumbdrive/disk. All my stuff backs up to local lan storage device without much fuss.

I use a 2T spinning drive for my photographs. Purchased a small portable box with a USB cable that houses it. I have never trusted outside storage such as the cloud. I chose a spinning drive because it's about the best for long term storage.

If you are an Amazon prime member, you get unlimited storage of photos. (Video is capped). The phone app will automatically upload all photos you take. (At least for iphone - I bet android works the same way).

As suggested above - a local copy is also a good idea.

On Facebook she can make a folder and then set the settings to Private and only allow you or whomever she wants to see those photos. I think she can upload up to 1000 photos per album.

Back