Diffrence in Syntec and Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can guess, the Edge and Syntec European Formula (aka GC) are much more similar and they contain many of the same extended drain certifications (ACEA A3, BMW LL-01). They may perform similarly.

The most popular Syntec grades like 5W-30, 10W-30 (excluding the 0W-30 Euro Formula) does not carry the extended drain interval certs as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted By: jesbo
From what I can guess, the Edge and Syntec European Formula (aka GC) are much more similar and they contain many of the same extended drain certifications (ACEA A3, BMW LL-01).

The Edge sold in North America does not carry ACEA A3 nor BMW LL-01 certification. It meets ACEA A1 and A5. In order to meet ACEA A3, it would have to have HT/HS of at least 3.5 mPa.s., which I'm guessing it doesn't because it is too thin.

Originally Posted By: jesbo
The most popular Syntec grades like 5W-30, 10W-30 (excluding the 0W-30 Euro Formula) does not carry the extended drain interval certs as far as I can tell.

And so, as far as the ACEA specs are concerned, the 5w-30 and 10w-30 Syntec does not differ much from 5w-30 and 10w-30 Edge. They all meet ACEA A1/A5. Which begs the question... why does Edge cost more?

Marketing!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Marketing!
smirk2.gif

Now that's thinking with your dipstick!
Please don't whip me...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Marketing!
smirk2.gif

Now that's thinking with your dipstick!

And that's one of the lamest marketing campaigns I've seen in a really long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back