Difficult electrical connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can be a pain but pushing together before trying to pull it apart usually gets them. Almost every VW I come across has broken connectors.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Don't see why that matters, but its a SYM Yue Leung (Wild Wolf) Classic (though it probably wasn't called a "classic" when it was made), which is quite like a Honda CB125

I have a SYM Wolf Classic 150 - get my parts from Cam at scooterseals dot com

Originally Posted By: mk378
That particular type of connector is not too hard to deal with by using slip-joint pliers to hold the whole harness side and squeeze the "button" part of the tab, which is intended to be pushed with fingers but will get hard to push as the plastic gets old. Or push in the slot with a screwdriver as others said.

There is no need to cut anything, don't be literally a hack mechanic and tear stuff up.

Well, I sort-off see that, and I did initially feel a bit bad about doing it.

BUT, "Zen and the Art Of" aesthetics aside, why not?

From a practical perspective the locking function is a PITA, had already cost me about an hour of footling about getting bitten by mosquitos, is probably unnecessary, and if its needed I can substitute a lashing or a cable tie.

Whats the problem with eliminating it?

Two tools I generally use for electrical connector persuasion are:
1) Long bent-nose pliers from HF

2) Great Neck Saw TL4C tack lifter. I bought this decades ago. The nose is bent nicely sharp, the shaft is a bit on the short side, and the tangs are thin enough it bites more than it slips.
Sometimes you can pull with the pliers, and wedge a connector apart with the tack lifter.

The one I have was made in USA, and the handle has 2 sides shaved flat for giving a little more clearance, so if you buy the current model, you might want to shave the handle flat on two sides, and cut the ball end off.

TL4Cnopkg.jpg

Some walmarts are carrying a Task Force tack lifter for under $2. I bought one just to try, now I have several of them.

Interesting. Thanks.

I've got something like that somewhere, but predictably couldn't find it. I'll make a point of searching it out next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back