differnce between castrol gtx, castrol, drive hard, and castrol high milage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the differnce between these 3 oils. i understand castrol high milage is for higher milage cars, but arent they just about the same?

im looking to change my oil for my accord to castrol. (1991 honda accord). i know the wear numbers are better in the summer than in the winter. i think im not going to go the cheap oil any more, well not cheap but might as well pay 50 more cents to get another oil. before i used mobil drive clean.

my choices are either castrol, or penzoil. both at which i dont know if i should go high milage or not.

can you give me your input...im not burning any oil barley, had an auto rx treatment, and have 158k on this car. daily driven. thanks

I don't think you need the high mileage oil, unless you're burning oil.

I just realized something: I should be running high mileage oil as I now have 294,000km on my 2.5L '87 Grand Am. I wonder how much damage I've done over the last few years by using Mobil 1, instead of an oil more suited to my high mileage vehicle!!!
grin.gif

[ July 16, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

The high mileage oils have more benefits than you think though. For one, they are of a thicker viscosity, so instead of being a low 30wt, their 5w30 and 10w30 versions are a high 30wt. And they also typically use about 10% esters in the base oil too, so you're getting some benefits from that too. When I used Maxlife in my Firebird, I found it to hold it's TBN very well, and it's viscosity stayed strong too. But it's lack of a decent antiwear package makes it a poor choice in comparison to Pennzoil or Castrol High Mileage.

FYI, I'm currently running 5w30 Castrol High Mileage in my mom's car, and will have a UOA in the fall on it (it will only have about 2k on it though, she doesn't drive all that much, most of her miles are the 9 mile roundtrip to my house a few times a week to see her grandson)
smile.gif

dd91, of the oils you mentioned, if it were my car, at 158K I'd choose the Pennzoil HM 1st, the Castrol HM 2nd. Both have enough AW additives that either should do very well if not stretched too far, & I'd bet the PZ will keep your engine cleaner inside than the Castrol. A clean engine is a happy engine!
grin.gif

oic now. they are a little heavier. id like to try some, even though its 2 bucks per quart. i really dont want to go synthetic since im a 3k person. i really need to get around to doing a UOA. if i do go with it, i will still use 10w30.

ill do some searches on penz HM and castrol HM later.

so you think its not a waste to go high milage...if im right, high milage is a synthetic blend right?

btw thanks for helping.

quote:

so you think its not a waste to go high milage...if im right, high milage is a synthetic blend right?

Yes, technically speaking it is a blend. It's more of a blend than many that are labelled blends too, those might only contain 10% group 3 base oil, while at least these ones contain 10% group 5.

i think im going to try out penzoil high milage. it was 9 bucks for 5 quarts. this other car that i service has been burning oil, im going to put it in that car as well to actually see if it stops burning oil..if not then im ordering auto-rx for her car.

my car i dont expect much..i just want something to protect a little more cause of my rough driving and higher revvs....yet no synthetic for me =). if i dont like penzoil im going to try castrols line of high milage. hopefully after this change, the next change i can start doing oil analysis's.

thanks for all your help. i appreciate it

[ July 30, 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

update...i get a oil leak!! gerr...i used penz high milage 10w30 and i now got a leak...i forgot to put auto rx in though...but before i didnt have a problem and auto rx stopped my leaks...i bet my seal is bad...o well. just thought id let you know.

this car runs quiet though....smoother as well.

Just an additional insight...my daughter has a 95 Dodge Neon with close to 100K and it was using a qt about every 600 miles...put PZ High Mileage 10W40 in and no consumption...she has since gotten a change at "Xlube" (she lives on the West Coast so I don't always get to change her oil) and, while they put in PZ HM, I imagine they went by the book on viscosity and so the consumption has increased again.

[ August 12, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

..i also noticed that my engine ticking (thought to be a valve adjustment needed) went away.

engine ticking increased at 2k rpm but never heard it after wards...now i hear no ticking what so ever.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
i really dont want to go synthetic since im a 3k person. i really need to get around to doing a UOA. if i do go with it, i will still use 10w30.

You could go 5k easy on either of those oils. Especially with a Honda.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You let your daughter use a fast lube place?? Shame on you!
nono.gif

No soup for you!
grin.gif

Have mercy on me, Patman...most of the year she is 1200 miles away at school.

I guess I can forgive you this one time.
smile.gif

I'm guilty myself, I let my father use a fast lube place on the weekend (I tried to convince him to let me do it first) It ended up costing him $65 (Canadian) to get his oil changed, with 10w30 Castrol GTX!! I could've given him the 10w30 GTX for free (I've got 5L of it in my shrine) and all it would've cost him was a few bucks for the Volvo oil filter. Hopefully he'll come to me next time! I've got more than enough oil in my shrine to supply him with!
smile.gif

quote:

I'm guilty myself, I let my father use a fast lube place on the weekend (I tried to convince him to let me do it first) It ended up costing him $65 (Canadian) to get his oil changed, with 10w30 Castrol GTX!! I could've given him the 10w30 GTX for free (I've got 5L of it in my shrine) and all it would've cost him was a few bucks for the Volvo oil filter. Hopefully he'll come to me next time! I've got more than enough oil in my shrine to supply him with!
smile.gif

Definitely no soup for him...but, then again, maybe he was suffering from sensory deprivation due to the power outage and just wanted to get out and mingle...
grin.gif

[ August 18, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Drifter, I think that Pennzoil is the class of the "high mileage" field. It should stay in grade at least as well, if not better, than the Castrol stuff and I wouldn't bother with Valvoline Max-Life until I have confirmation that they've put the moly back in their oil (it had it during the products first year on the market!
mad.gif
)

The engine sounding smoother and slight "ticking" disappearing are common comments drivers make when first using the Pennzoil stuff. I credit the moly and or the esters in the formula. You're right ... this stuff is really a synthetic blend and a helluva buy for just under $2 per quart.

For all you guys having daughters away from home, how do you get them to CHECK THEIR OIL?
rolleyes.gif
I have an errant mother who refuses to accept the concept that engines often use oil between changes and need to be checked and topped up on occasion.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

For all you guys having daughters away from home, how do you get them to CHECK THEIR OIL? I have an errant mother who refuses to accept the concept that engines often use oil between changes and need to be checked and topped up on occasion.

I'm going to be facing a similar situation soon, when my sister moves out west. I'm sure she won't check her oil, neither will her fiancee (even though he drives a new VW GTI 1.8T, he's not big on maintenance) And I just found out this weekend my mom is going to be buying my sister's 99 Civic, and giving her the 94 Probe GT. The Probe has over 135k on it and does use a little bit of oil between changes.

I'll have to do one final oil change (with synthetic for sure) before my sister heads out west with the Probe. That oil change will most likely be it's last.
frown.gif
(unless I fly out to visit sometime, in which case I'll definitely have to make time to change her oil for her!)

quote:

You let your daughter use a fast lube place?? Shame on you!
nono.gif

No soup for you!
grin.gif

Have mercy on me, Patman...most of the year she is 1200 miles away at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back