Differential Drain Plug Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Car is a Ford Freestyle, similar unit to Volvo S/V 60/70, XC70/90. There's a front "bevel gear" which sends power to the rear Haldex unit and differential. All 3 units have their own fluid--the bevel gear isn't mixed w/the transmission. There are no drain plugs, only fill holes, so the fluids have to be sucked out with a vacuum pump.

The rear 2 fluids were no problem, I sucked out almost everything in 1 shot. The front is a different story. Even with the smallest hose I can find, I just get out around 8 oz. or so. My FSM listed the capacity as 11 oz, but I now know that's way off--it's closer to 24 oz. This is what happens when technical writers start confusing liters and pints. Stay in school, kids!

So, I've done 2 drain/drive around/fills, and I'm still annoyed at the color of the fluid. Volvo America has a procedure for drilling a drain, but my car is different enough that is doesn't directly apply.

The Volvo procedure is LINK here.

As you can see HERE , mine looks slightly different--no damper. If you check out the attached photo, I'm thinking of removing the bolt on the bottom, holding that little two-pronged piece drilling inside the threads (like on the VoA instructions), and draining from there. I actually think that (and the blank slot to its left) are there for a vibration damper if the MFG chooses to install one, but I'm not sure). Then I'd wrap the bolt in teflon tape and re-install.

Terrible idea? Genius? Just do another drain and fill and get on with your life?

If I go this route, anything to worry about? Hitting the female threads and drilling too far and hitting a gear are the only potential problems. Well that, and leaking from the bolt.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
ugh you inspired me. now i have to throw my s60r on a lift and check it out.

While you're at it, I've found the part number, for the elusive Gen III Haldex filter: 30787687. That's Volvo's PN. I don't know if there's a Ford equivalent, but the no. doesn't x-reference.

I ordered one but I've yet to change it. At 90K, the Haldex fluid actually looked pretty rough as well--worse than I've seen in photos, so I'm gonna get the filter out of there.

Where do you order your Volvo parts from? I use Tasca for the big stuff and the Volvo dealer next to my work for the little stuff i need right away.

I've always ordered stuff from Volvo of Dallas and have had good luck (myvolvopartsonline.com). I bet the Haldex fluid will be cheaper than even at your cost for the Ford XL13(17.00 for 300ML). Plus, it comes in a cool applicator tube.

If you have to get a couple tubes and a filter, it's probably worth the shipping. I'll take some pics when I change the filter. I've yet to see any pics of this being changed on the interwebs.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
"Just do another drain and fill and get on with your life? "

My vote.

This is obviously the voice of reason. I'm going to give it one more drain/fill, and if the fluid looks reasonable, I'll live with it. Meanwhile, my right-angle drill is just sitting here, mocking me, yelling "drill baby, drill"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back