Different power steering fluid for Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport?

My friend just acquired a "99 Honda Passport and I'm helping her do odds and ends on it to bring it up to snuff and one of the things I'm going to do is "service" the power steering fluid via the turkey baster method. On the cap to the power steering reservoir it says to only use power steering fluid. Okay, fine, but I'm a little confused about something.

I know the Honda Passport is basically a rebranded Isuzu Rodeo and I thought they were identical except for the badging. But does the passport have a different power steering system than the Rodeo? Meaning does it have a Honda specific one?

I ask because when I look for power steering fluid for it I get a lot of generic answers that say to use only Honda specific power steering fluid in Honda cars. And when I search PSF for the Isuzu Rodeo it gives me different types of fluid.

So are the power steering systems really different, or is the search algorithm just keying on the word Honda when I'm directed to Honda specific PSF?

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Use whatever Isuzu would use.

However, you can use HONDA/ACURA P/S Fluid in just about any other P/S unit in which the unit calls for power steering fluid(not sure about Dexron P/S units). But you cannot use just any P/S Fluid in a HONDA/ACURA. You must use Honda/Acura P/S fluid in their units. Believe me, I have(and others have) tried and the steering system DOES NOT LIKE THAT! 👎

I am actually using Honda/Acura P/S Fluid in the OE 1980 Firebird(GM) in my signature which calls for GM P/S Fluid for that year/Gen. And this car is 42 years old with its original P/S unit.

I don't understand this thread. In your opening comment you state that "My friend just acquired a "99 Honda Passport". If your friend has a Honda Passport then why are you buying fluid for a Isuzu Rodeo? Does the cap on the Honda say to use something other than Honda fluid? I know I'm missing something here but if it's a Honda then why not use what is recommended?

I don't understand this thread. In your opening comment you state that "My friend just acquired a "99 Honda Passport". If your friend has a Honda Passport then why are you buying fluid for a Isuzu Rodeo? Does the cap on the Honda say to use something other than Honda fluid? I know I'm missing something here but if it's a Honda then why not use what is recommended?

1993-2002 Honda Passport was made by Isuzu; basically a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo.

Numerous reasons from what I understand (because I believe OP and I think alike). Just a few:
1) he's curious and bothered when something says X=Y and Y=Z but somehow X does NOT = Z. Makes no sense
2) Honda p/s fluid is expensive and relatively difficult to source (although I see Advance now carries a Fram fluid which claims to work) compared to Dexron which is cheap and everywhere. Honda doesn't even sell it by the quart, it's 12oz bottles
3) it's always nice to know a vehicle can use a less expensive, more common fluid if you're on the road. Dex can be found at any Dollar store, grocery store, Walmart etc

Using RockAuto as a reference (only because it's available to nearly everyone vs claims of "my Honda dealer is awesome and cuts me a great deal")

$3.37 for 12oz of Honda spec fluid and this is Beck/Arnley, not actual Honda

$3.28 for 1 quart of Mag 1 Dex/Merc

2) Honda p/s fluid is expensive and relatively difficult to source
It's about $4 for a 12-ounce bottle. Yes, by the ounce it's expensive but if one needs more than 12 ounces, they have a leak that needs fixed vs just dumping more fluid in it continuously. And I realize not everyone has a Honda dealer around but if you live in a medium-sized city or bigger, you will. I have (5) that I wouldn't hesitate to drive to if one didn't have something I needed.

Well it's a used car that came with no manual and the cap on the reservoir simply says to use power steering fluid. It does not specify "genuine Honda" or any other sort.
Well because I want to put the right stuff in it and I don't know if the power steering unit is actually a Honda built component, which according to a number of sources out there would require "genuine Honda" (or other made for Hondas) PSF, or if it's a really an Isuzu made component that doesn't require that specific type of fluid.

However, you can use HONDA/ACURA P/S Fluid in just about any other P/S unit in which the unit calls for power steering fluid(not sure about Dexron P/S units). But you cannot use just any P/S Fluid in a HONDA/ACURA. You must use Honda/Acura P/S fluid in their units. Believe me, I have(and others have) tried and the steering system DOES NOT LIKE THAT! 👎

I am actually using Honda/Acura P/S Fluid in the OE 1980 Firebird(GM) in my signature which calls for GM P/S Fluid for that year/Gen. And this car is 42 years old with its original P/S unit.

Well if this is the case, seems I'm safe enough if I use the Prestone fluid made for Honda/Acura. Si?

Like said, this vehicle was built by Subaru of Indiana Automotive back in the day. They also made the Rodeo, Rodeo sport and Axiom along with Subarus and some Toyotas.

Gotta love California. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw this vintage of Passport or Rodeo in the rust belt.

Like said, any dex/merc universal ATF will work in that PS system.

FWIW, I owned a 2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 back in the day. Loved that vehicle.

@MichaelRS, are you going to change ATF in that 4L30E? Oh is that fun. It was the first vehicle I ever encountered w/out an ATF dipstick. The fill and level check/drain plugs are right next to each other on the trans pan.

and I don't know if the power steering unit is actually a Honda built component
The P/S pump part number is 19318989. Honda uses a part # scheme that follows XXXXX-YYY-ZZZZZ. Each set of numbers has a meaning but for the sake of this topic, that's not relevant. The p/n is definitely an Isuzu one. No need to use Honda P/S fluid here, as many have already indicated.

Numerous reasons from what I understand (because I believe OP and I think alike). Just a few:
1) he's curious and bothered when something says X=Y and Y=Z but somehow X does NOT = Z. Makes no sense
2) Honda p/s fluid is expensive and relatively difficult to source (although I see Advance now carries a Fram fluid which claims to work) compared to Dexron which is cheap and everywhere. Honda doesn't even sell it by the quart, it's 12oz bottles
3) it's always nice to know a vehicle can use a less expensive, more common fluid if you're on the road. Dex can be found at any Dollar store, grocery store, Walmart etc
Pretty true. But regardless of cost I just want to use the right stuff as this car is very old and needs TLC. But yeah I'd rather not get the most expensive version/brand of the PSF if there is a perfectly acceptable substitute for it. And from what somebody else said even if it's not a Honda power steering unit it will take Honda fluid just fine but not the other way around. So if I get the Prestone fluid made for Honda I'm good to go.

Like said, this vehicle was built by Subaru of Indiana Automotive back in the day. They also made the Rodeo, Rodeo sport and Axiom along with Subarus and some Toyotas.

Gotta love California. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw this vintage of Passport or Rodeo in the rust belt.

Like said, any dex/merc universal ATF will work in that PS system.

FWIW, I owned a 2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 back in the day. Loved that vehicle.

@MichaelRS, are you going to change ATF in that 4L30E? Oh is that fun. It was the first vehicle I ever encountered w/out an ATF dipstick. The fill and level check/drain plugs are right next to each other on the trans pan.
First off, on my end in some recent replies I'm seeing double posted quotes. I don't know why that's happening. If I keep doing it I'm not doing it and not on purpose.

Yeah, I'm down in Orange County California and and weather-wise it's pretty easy on cars here.

I will service the ATF fluid, or rather have it changed, but unfortunately I'm going to have take it to a shop because I have no way to get the car up and level both for it to drain and fill properly.

The P/S pump part number is 19318989. Honda uses a part # scheme that follows XXXXX-YYY-ZZZZZ. Each set of numbers has a meaning but for the sake of this topic, that's not relevant. The p/n is definitely an Isuzu one. No need to use Honda P/S fluid here, as many have already indicated.
Works for me. I knew I could count on you guys. 👍

I will service the ATF fluid, or rather have it changed, but unfortunately I'm going to have take it to a shop because I have no way to get the car up and level both for it to drain and fill properly.

I was able to get underneath my 2002 Rodeo w/ out jacks or ramps for this job. I did a few drain/fill cycles on mine using a pump I rigged up for refill. This is an odd-ball GM 4spd transmission that is a bit confusing to look at underneath. There's two pans. The main big one, then a small pan on the "adapter housing" which in a round a bout way, converted this 3spd to a 4spd. LOL. You don't have to touch the smaller of the two pans. There's no drain plug on it anyway.

It doesn't have to be level, it just may not drain as much. Some is better than none though and if necessary, repeat it 1-2 times. Measure what comes out and put the same amount back in as a starting point. If it has a dipstick, that's your real indicator anyway.

It's an SUV, albeit a small one. Can you not slide under it when it's on the ground ?

Back