Different oils on a dyno

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old is this test? I think I have seen similar test an an amsoil site some time ago. Which version of Mobil 1 is tested?

Based on these tests I bought the BP V5000.

Thanks Patman. I've seen this before. It's an interesting article. I wonder why Amsoil 0w-30 and Redline were not used? I think S2k and RL would have done very well in this test. The Castrol 10w-60 was impressive!
wink.gif

quote:

In the case of a pure performance or race engine where power is priority and oil changes can be frequent, the 0-30/40 oils such as the Mobil 0-40, Castrol R,

I'd like to see the M1 0w-40 in a LS1. It produced the best HP among all the oils. Wear though for the M1 0w-40 was fair.
smile.gif

[ January 04, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Thanks Patman, good article! One thing that stood out to me was the difference in HP between oils. The M1 seemed to consistently offer the best HP ratings, even in the 50 weights. Castrol's 10w-60 offered a good HP rating considering it's 60 weight rating as well!

So it,s not a good idea to run Amsoil cause it makes smaller chips of metal which requires an Amsoil bypass filter.M.L.M. at its finest,Just joking fellas
crushedcar.gif
I would discount the dino runs as different runs with the same oil may give different readings, the changes are so little To make the h.p. not worth worrying about.

[ January 04, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Notice how the Castrol SLX 0W-30 makes EXACTLY the SAME HP as the Hi-Tec 10W-60. This is a slap on the face for those who argue thinner gives more HP.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Notice how the Castrol SLX 0W-30 makes EXACTLY the SAME HP as the Hi-Tec 10W-60. This is a slap on the face for those who argue thinner gives more HP.

Maybe this just tells us that 10w60 is a very good oil with even better antiwear additives than SLX?
dunno.gif

[ January 05, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Pat,
I was wondering that too! I know a thicker fluid should most likely rob more power than a lighter oil, so I was thinking that maybe it has some super duper additive that "alleviates" the drag caused by the thicker oil. Something that makes the oil more slippery or more fluid like without losing viscosity
dunno.gif

Just goes to show that although they seem simple and straightforward, oils are a very complex combination of chemicals that need to work with each other in other to give the best results.

Rick

quote:

Pat,

Just goes to show that although they seem simple and straightforward, oils are a very complex combination of chemicals that need to work with each other in other to give the best results.

Rick

I spend alot of time reading about the additives made by RT vanderbilt and the likes . The more I learn the more I realize how well these modern oils are enginneered . Even though I've mixed oil during summer weather in the past without any obvious harm it's just not a wise thing to do these days , JMO . There are additives in oil formulations that are never discussed here .

Hey , did you see how the oil pump internally bypassed and the oil pressure remained constant with all the oils tested ?

quote:

Remember though , say a 20cSt " for example " oil at 212f must be at 212f to be that viscosity .

Most of those oils were at 195f during the run so the VI will not be the same as the data sheet . I'm not sure how one could arrive at some type guesstimate for a multigrade's VI running at say 185f vs the 100c rating on the manufactures data sheet .But there would be a difference .

[ January 06, 2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

This test was performed by an Austrialian performance car magazine about 4-5 years ago. The engine used for testing was a small block V-8 that was toleranced to use heavier oils, hence most of the formulations tested were 5w-50/15w-50/20w-50/10w-60 grades.

The Mobil 1 products were the same formulations that were available in Europe and other markets at the time.They were not the 'trisynthetic" formulation sold in the US, but were 5w-50 and 0w-40 grades as I recall. They did test RP and Torco amoung others, but not Redline. They also tested the Castrol SLX, 0w-30, which is the GC, 0w-30 ....The S2000, 20w-50 formulation was also an earlier version of this oil and is not the same chemistry they are using today. I know this since I've been testing the S2000 since it came on the market in 1995.

All things being equal, a thinner oil will generate more Hp at the top end, since the pumping losses are less. You would expect thicker oils to provide better wear protection to a degree, so there are no surprises there either. The type of testing done here was really more like Ferrography and not conventional oil analysis, since they were doing particle counts and particle size distribution.

Tooslick

[ February 15, 2004, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

quote:

Remember though , say a 20cSt " for example " oil at 212f must be at 212f to be that viscosity .

Most of those oils were at 195f during the run so the VI will not be the same as the data sheet . I'm not sure how one could arrive at some type guesstimate for a multigrade's VI running at say 185f vs the 100c rating on the manufactures data sheet .But there would be a difference .

Moto,
You made my statement even more valid. For a thicker weight oil such as 10W-60 to do better than a lighter one, it would have to be way hotter. If temperatures are the same, the 60 weight will always be thicker.....the cooler you run the engine, the more of a disadvantage the 60 weight will be at.
I did notice however that the SLX had a temperature of 175*F while the 10W-60 was at 211*F which may have brought the viscosities closer to each other due to the temperature difference.

Rick

EDIT" BTW, I'm talking HP wise!!!

quote:

I did notice however that the SLX had a temperature of 175*F while the 10W-60 was at 211*F which may have brought the viscosities closer to each other due to the temperature difference.

Rick

BTW, I'm talking HP wise!!!

Nice catch Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back