Different oils for winter and summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this site, and I've already learned some things. Like the Fram oil filter I have on my '99 Sable is junk. It's running 5w-30 M1. I have aroung 2k on this setup now, and from what I read, I can go 5k. But the filter is crap, and I don't want to change the oil. So I am going to put a Purolator Plus on. When I hit 5k, it will be springtime and warmer weather, so I'm thinking of going to Motorcraft 5w-30 with a Purolator Pure One or a Motorcraft,. Then I'm going to do the 3k OCI untill next winter, and return to M1 for the entire winter (5k). Does this sound good to you guys? Or should I stick with the M1 and 5k changes? Can there be any problems with changing oil brands every summer and winter?

If I understand you correctly, you want to do 5K OCIs with the M1 5w30 for the coldest part of the year, and 3K OCIs with MC 5w30 for the warmest part of the year. I'm assuming you change the filter when you change your oil?

Sounds good to me.

I'd throw a UOA in there somewhere to check on the general health of the engine.

Why not just use a product like the 15k mile Mobil-1 EP, and change every 15k miles?

My thinking is that...engines are cheap, excessive spending on engine oil and filters isn't, especially once you perform a true economic analysis. Lets face it, Sables don't retain their value very well, and you can pick a used one in decent condition on the market for not a huge amount of money -- probably for cheaper than what excessive oil changes will cost you.

And really, FRAM filters aren't as bad as people characterize them here. There are better alternatives for the same money, but if you already have a FRAM installed or have a case of them sitting the garage, there is no reason to freak out.

welcome.gif
I'm not sure how cold Chicago winters get, if it does not fall below zero you can use the Motorcraft 5w30 all year. If you do experience below zero temps on a regular basis, your plan sounds good, or as suggested above you could use M1 5w30 all year and do a used oil analysis to see if a longer interval is ok to save money on drains. The Motorcraft filters are a real bargain and well constructed and that is my choice in a Ford engine.

Regarding the Sable, whle they have greater than average depreciation, the 3.0L motor is recognized in this area by automotive mechanics as a good high mileage motor with 300,000 plus kilometers not being that uncommon. Therefore, if you want to keep your Sable for a long time, I would think that you can't go wrong with M1 5W30 year round. As far as the filter goes, I read an Internet study where a guy took different types of filters apart and his conclusion was that Ford's Motorcraft oil filter is an inexpensive way to buy a Purolator Pure One.

quote:

Originally posted by '00obw:
I going the other way around. Run a full synthetic during the warmer months (Apr-Nov) and and MC syn-blend the colder months (Dec-Mar). My winters aren't as cold so I believe I'll get away with it.

bgin

lol, you need to get your facts straight.

running synthetic in warmer months rather than colder is just foolish.

Run it all year round.

I going the other way around. Run a full synthetic during the warmer months (Apr-Nov) and and MC syn-blend the colder months (Dec-Mar). My winters aren't as cold so I believe I'll get away with it.

bgin

Why use less-good oil at all? If M1 5W-30 is good enough for winter (or summer) use, why isn't it good enough for summer (or winter) use? Perhaps just to save a few bucks?

I use different oil summer and winter too, but only by viscosity. It's so hot in Phoenix summers I use RL 10W-40. In Phoenix's nonsummers (it's never winter here, it's just not summer) I use RL 5W-40.

I ALWAYS use the best engine oil that money can buy. Engines are expensive; engine oil isn't.

If you do a spring(April) and fall(October) oil change with the Mobil 1 5W-30 and use a Motorcraft, preferred, though PureOne should be fine also for the oil filter then you should be fine. Even if you go over 5,000 miles in the 6 month period you'll be fine using the Mobil 1. That way you'll be protected and it'll be a lot more comfortable to change the oil
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by '00obw:

bgin

lol, you need to get your facts straight.

running synthetic in warmer months rather than colder is just foolish.

Run it all year round.

Wait a minute. Syn in summer may work for his specific situation. Cali winters are definitely not equal to Canadian winters and if he is stuck on the 405 or pulling a trailer in Cali summers, syn may be the way to go. Not enough info to say its foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back