Differences between Redline, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is an excellent oil that doesn't get enough attention for use in gasoline engines. It's rated API/CI-4 and ACEA E5 for diesels and API/SL for gasoline engines. Delvac 1 Data

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Bill J.:
The #132 would apparently have the effect of increasing and stabilizing the viscosity, and adding additional moly, antimony, etc.

This may be the trick.

Bill,
I am curious, why would this be the trick? Why add an additive to doctor up Mobil 1 when you can get a higher viscosity and more moly by going with Royal Purple or Redline? What other inherent advantages does Mobil 1 have (technical, not availability wise) that the others do not?

[ February 15, 2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: kalbri ]

Also, besides Patman, no one's posts have really addressed the questions I was asking???????? So how 'bout it people? C'mon, let's get some opinions here!

Molakule had a good description of the make-up of the major synthetics on one of the other threads recently, let me find it an link it from here. That was a pretty thorough deccription.

Personally I don't think Royal purple has anything that can be considered an improvement over other synthetics. I've said it before , Redline is the best engineered oil on paper (specs) how that transforms into engine wear is still yet to be figured out IMO. Based on recent UOA reports we've seen Mobil1 is certainly holding its own and performing well. I think Schaeffers 7000 blend is a real sleeper, while not a full synthetic it has performed exceptionally well in the UOA reports we've seen on this site.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
what about delvac 1 5w -40?

I think Delvac 1 is a great oil but it's hard to find, and being packaged only in 4L jugs becomes a bit of a pain. It would work for an engine that takes exactly 4L of oil and needs no topup (such as my wife's Honda and sister's Honda) but for an engine like my Firebird which takes 5.5 quarts, it makes it a pain.

I doubt Delvac 1 would ever come in singles though, since it's not really a popular oil for small capacity gasoline engines, other than with people on here. 99.9% of it's buyers are driving large trucks with massive oil capacities.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

what about delvac 1 5w -40?

I think Delvac 1 is a great oil but it's hard to find, and being packaged only in 4L jugs becomes a bit of a pain. It would work for an engine that takes exactly 4L of oil and needs no topup (such as my wife's Honda and sister's Honda) but for an engine like my Firebird which takes 5.5 quarts, it makes it a pain.

I doubt Delvac 1 would ever come in singles though, since it's not really a popular oil for small capacity gasoline engines, other than with people on here. 99.9% of it's buyers are driving large trucks with massive oil capacities.

I was just curious. Is it just as of late that the Delvac 1 5w-40 that you are referring to here is appearing on the shelves in Walmarts? I've visited 3 different locations lately in Ontario and they all had lots of the 4L jugs available. Or is it a different Delvac 1 sold here in Canada?

i beem using delvac 1 here in littleton colorado the jiffy lube carries it for the truckers that come in for lube change i know the owner and he sells it to me for 20 bucks a gal....i change my oil evry 1500- 2500 miles the expedition takes 7 qts. and the police interceptor takes 6 i also use synergyn;s oil treatment which i get at the performance shop..all that works womders engine fan nevr goes off...you can get delvac 1 at the oil companies around town

Just curious, you didn't mention Amsoil in your original question, is there a reason why?

I previously used Redline in my other Vette I had, but have now gone to Amsoil because I was unsure of who made the Redline additive package, although I have seen it rumored that it is actually 76 that makes the package for them.

persoanlly, i would not even compare redline to amsoil...amsoil has no api rating and it is a product like tupperwear and amway..redline is a far superior product so is mobil, synergyn..

4 quart oil pan---- 1 quart A brand, 1 quart R brand, 1 quart M brand and 1 quart...........My oil mixture is the best
grin.gif

Having or not having API means nothing. I haven't seen any proof showing that any 1 oil is greatly better than any other oil. Almost any engine will last a long time with regular maintenance with almost any oil chosen.

All name brand quality synthetic oils are excellent. Even the group3 ones are good for normal interval use.

Still waiting for Wesson/Crison/Mazola motor oil!
http://www.greatplainsoil.com/amg2000.htm

Rapeseed oil rules:
http://www.lubegard.com/about.html

Soy oil is coming to a engine near you:
http://www.renewablelube.com/products/racing.htm

Anyone using Mobil1 10w40? (motorcycle blend)

[ February 15, 2003, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

Wow,the topic question leaves alot in the air like what engine,what type driving,daily driver and 30 1/4 mile passes on the weekend or short trips,loafing along with a V-8 Engine in overdrive on Interstate ect,ect.

Hmmmmm. Redline showing bearing type wear metals in analysis along with high oxidation,,I gotta wonder about that so look at what is on the Mobil website and ponder on it. The first part hints that Redline uses Lead Napthenate as an additive,the rest I threw in for good measure instead of cutting it.Does Redline meet sequence III ? Otr are they refering to grease?

Red Line Oil talks about "four-ball wear," "load wear," "Falex wear" and "Timken psi load" for their synthetic oil. Are these valid tests?
These tests are low-cost tests generally used to determine the performance properties of grease. They do not correlate with engine performance tests. For example, the use of an additive such as lead naphthenate would yield excellent results in these bench (or lab) tests, but would cause excessive oxidation of an oil in an engine and would cause a motor oil to fail the industry standard oxidation test known as the Sequence III test.

None of the tests referenced are used by API in determining gasoline engine motor oil performance (SL is the current, most severe oil classification), nor are they used by engine manufacturers. The API approval requires the following tests:

L-38 for bearing corrosion.
Sequence IIIF for oxidation, deposits and wear.
Sequence VG for sludge, wear and varnish.
Sequence II for rust.
This slate of tests can cost over $75,000 to run – considerably more than the simple bench tests mentioned.

quote:

persoanlly, i would not even compare redline to amsoil...amsoil has no api rating and it is a product like tupperwear and amway..redline is a far superior product so is mobil, synergyn..

So after owning 77 new Motorcycles and over 36 years of riding and 8 years or so of road racing when I chose to use the Amsoil 10/40 High Performance Motor Oil in my newest 2003 14,500 rpm M/C I come to find out I picked a junk oil out of all else available to me when cost of an oil is of no concern? Darn,I wish I had of asked the forum what I should use first
wink.gif

Just razzin a little,don't take it wrong ok?
smile.gif
Gotta throw in some fun once in awhile
burnout.gif

[ February 16, 2003, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

The original poster did not include Amsoil in the question. Fine. I didn't pop in and say "why not?"

So somebody else asks "why not?" And the answer from someone else drops in.

boxcartommie22 wrote:

quote:

i would not even compare redline to amsoil...amsoil has no api rating and it is a product like tupperwear and amway..

Now let me clarify something: Amsoil has nothing to do with Tupperware (not "wear") and Amway. I'm not sure what this ignorant statement has to do with this (what should be) technical discussion. Also not all Redline oils are API SL, yet they make statements very similar to Amsoil's on their web site. Lastly, what the heck to the minimalist API standards have to do with this discussion anyway?

You now may return the regularly scheduled programming.

[ February 15, 2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I think the real use jury is still out.

Redline, for the expense, does not have spectacular oil analysis results. And a very small sample size.

Royal Purple has OK results on a small sample size.

Mobil1 has some pretty impressive results on the newer formulation, and obviously a wider user base to sample from.

In the short history of BitOG we have proven something, I think: Oils formulated in a lab book are sometimes very different in real use than anticipated!!

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
[qb] Just curious, you didn't mention Amsoil in your original question, is there a reason why?

I previously used Redline in my other Vette I had, but have now gone to Amsoil because I was unsure of who made the Redline additive package, although I have seen it rumored that it is actually 76 that makes the package for them.
I personally think Amsoil is a good oil from a product standpoint, probably better than Mobil 1, overall, because it uses more ZDDP and therefore has better barrier lube properties (which is probably Mobil's weakness).

About two years ago I signed up for Amsoils Preferred Customer Program and used the Series 2000 0W-30, their SDF oil filters, and their Series 2000 75W-140 gear lube. Basically I stopped using Amsoil because I could not stand the marketing of the product and I felt the integrity of the company was somewhat lacking. Their claimes of 25,000 and 35,000 oil change intervals, I believe, are misleading to the average consumer who buys their product because Amsoil does not make very clear that this is really only wise under ideal conditions and really needs to be supported by oil analysis.

I also find it extremely misleading for them to advertise their "superior" 4 ball wear tests all over their bottles when it has been shown by testing and also by what Terry has stated that Amsoil seems to have loaded their oil up with an additive that only provides this superior wear protection for around 1,000 miles, then it is back to normal and certainly equivalent but no longer so superior to other oils. To me, this is almost as misleading as what Castrol did with Syntec and I find it reprehensible.

I also hated getting the Amsoil mailers from Al Amatuzio in the mail where he was trying to sell me vitamins and water filters. GIVE ME A BREAK! Here I am, an oil customer of theirs and Al is also trying to sell me vitamins! I wanted to know more about Amsoils products, about how they are staying on top of the game, etc., not about how Al takes a vitamin every day. Every magazine I received made me more mad at the company because of the lack of useful information.

I believe Amsoil is a fine product, but there are other fine products as well. I will make my future purchases from a company who I feel better about.

Edit: PLEASE don't get all mad at me everyone and don't let this turn into a "why Amsoil is or isn't good" thread. I was asked the question as to why I did not include Amsoil and so I went into legnth as to why. Also, I did not include Delvac 1 because it is primarily a diesel oil and comes in a less-than-convenient size.

[ February 15, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: kalbri ]

quote:

Originally posted by 7tford:

I was just curious. Is it just as of late that the Delvac 1 5w-40 that you are referring to here is appearing on the shelves in Walmarts? I've visited 3 different locations lately in Ontario and they all had lots of the 4L jugs available. Or is it a different Delvac 1 sold here in Canada?

It's the same Delvac 1, and I'm not sure how long Walmart has sold it, but I have a feeling it's not new to the shelves. It's still a tad pricey though, $35 for 4L.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I think the real use jury is still out.

Redline, for the expense, does not have spectacular oil analysis results. And a very small sample size.

Royal Purple has OK results on a small sample size.

Mobil1 has some pretty impressive results on the newer formulation, and obviously a wider user base to sample from.

In the short history of BitOG we have proven something, I think: Oils formulated in a lab book are sometimes very different in real use than anticipated!!

Caution-this post bein written with a Rum and Coke in hand
cheers.gif

Uh-oh. I know there would be flames before this thread ended.
shocked.gif
But I really do have to agree with Pablo for his responding to the "tuperware" motor oil. Amsoi is a very fine product and as I have said (even though I don't use it now)-I think it still is one of the best all around, proven long term drain interval oils.

I also agree with the above post. Redline may be the best oil-but we have not seen enough oil analysis to say that for sure. There have been incidents (I think from Bror) where it quieted piston slap when no other oils did that. I think an polyol ester probably is the best natural lubricant going. But how does it do on extended drain analysis?-who knows-not me. Again Royal Purple-not enough info. Mobil1-not always the very top in alysis results-but very consistant. It has boron, moly, magnesium, and calcium all in reasonable amounts and probably well tweaked by a company that can afford to do lots of tweaking.

As was pointed out Mobil Delvac1 may very be the best oil going. It is well proven on trucks and in an SAE report (2001-01-1993) it did exceptionally well at 80K and even 100K miles (yea I realize that the oil sumps are much greater). Also lets not forget about Mobil 0W-40 - but again not enough oil analysis. Also there's Shaeffer's Supreme or even the Full synthetic-which is what I am running in 2 cars.

So my picks here are:

Delvac1
Amsoil 10W-30
Shaeffer's 15W-40 Blend
Mobil1 10W-30
Redline
Royal Purple

I really hope that the Shaeffer's Pure syn goes to the top of the list. I'll be able to judge in a few month because I will be comparing oil analysis to the TriSyn and SS (in a 2L Sentra and 2.2L Cavalier.

kalbri Sorry for another post, but I had to laugh at your post. I also like Amsoil. But you are right on with Al (The-Huckster-Amatuzio) and his vitamins and especially the monthly mag. It always showed all of the highly sucessful Al Amatuzio-Clones sales people. Yes I always expected good technical information but after a couple monthly rags: They never made it past the garbage can (outside-with the rest of the junk mail.) Yes I was once a dealer also-might be one again
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back