Differences between Redline, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need more folks to use the first two listed oils and get the oil analyzed...so what oil am I selling??
grin.gif

Agreed: Amsoil must lose the vitamin thing. I have no concept how many vitamins they sell - I was tempted to buy the stuff that enhances your lumber.....I mean er,..ahem.....I have no idea how much vitamin stuff they sell, but I can tell you it doesn't enhance the oil sales.

Nothing personal btw.

quote:

Originally posted by vettenuts:
Just curious, you didn't mention Amsoil in your original question, is there a reason why?

I previously used Redline in my other Vette I had, but have now gone to Amsoil because I was unsure of who made the Redline additive package, although I have seen it rumored that it is actually 76 that makes the package for them.

76 is now just another of ConocoPhillips brands, along with Conoco, Phillips, Kendall, and Circle-K. I don't know if ConocoPhillips makes additives; they do make base oil.

Lubrizol and ChevronOronite are the only additive makers I know of...who else?

Ken

I am curious to get some opinions on the differences between these oils (as far as their makeup--base oil and add package) and what that translates to (opinions here) in terms of quality to the end user, irrespective of price.

I know that I will get the "try them in your vehicle, use oil analysis, and from that determine what works best for you" speech from some people here, but I am looking for educated opinions on the quality of these oils from the standpoint of how they are designed and how they seem to perform overall.
From what I have read on this board, I will throw out my opinion and rate them in the following way:

#1 Redline. Seems to combine a top-shelf base oil (group V) with a strong additive package and great barrier lube properties (moly, ZDDP). I believe that Terry has mentioned that the high ester content base oil also has excellent cleaning properties similar to what Auto-RX will do in an engine.

#2 Royal Purple. Is a slightly lesser base oil than Redline (mostly PAO base) with a less robust additive package, but still has good barrier lube properties with the moly and the Synerlec additive.

#3 Mobil 1. Mostly PAO base as well, with excellent stability at the temperature extremes. Probably a less robust additive package in that it could use more barrier lube properties (this according to what Terry has said several times as well as knowing that there is not much moly as compared to the other two).

You seem to be very knowledgable about these oils already, you've done your homework! The one thing I don't like about Mobil 1 is how they formulate their 30wt oils at the low end of the range. This also means their HTHS numbers suffer. So for those of us that have engines which would do better with a high 30wt oil, we're left out in the cold from Mobil 1, unless we step up to the hard to find 0w40, or if we mix in some 15w50 to get the mixture thicker.

Mobil 1 is still a very good oil, but Redline is definitely better for hard driven cars. I suspect Royal Purple's new formula will prove to be almost as good as Redline too (and a lot cheaper)

I agree with Patman about needing a bit higher viscosity than the lower 30 weight of the Mobil 1 oils. Although I think the oil is very good, and I am using the 0-40 in one car.

I believe Molecule reported in a previous thread that he runs Mobil 1 10-30 along with Schaeffer's #132 Moly E.P. additive in one of his cars.

The #132 would apparently have the effect of increasing and stabilizing the viscosity, and adding additional moly, antimony, etc.

This may be the trick.

Ken2,

Other additive makers include "Infinium" - jointly owned by Shell and Mobil I believe - and Ethyl corporation. There are also European companies that specialize in oil additive packages ....

TooSlick

Additives?

Ethyl and Vanderbilt make great additives.

Vanderbilt has some of the best AW and FM additives on the market.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You seem to be very knowledgable about these oils already, you've done your homework! The one thing I don't like about Mobil 1 is how they formulate their 30wt oils at the low end of the range. This also means their HTHS numbers suffer. So for those of us that have engines which would do better with a high 30wt oil, we're left out in the cold from Mobil 1, unless we step up to the hard to find 0w40, or if we mix in some 15w50 to get the mixture thicker.

M1 5W30 SM oil is not thin! 100c Visc is 11.3.

Redline is probably the best. M1 probably allows a bit more valve train wear than Redline, although it will keep your engine clean. I would not trust the regular M1 with too long of an OCI. I think Redline would go farther.

The differences are simple. Redline and Royal Purple are overpriced and are not certified to API and ILSAC GF standards. Redline has a high HTHS and will cost you gas mileage and HP over a similar weight GF-4 certified oil. Do a search on "Redline" in the forum and you will find a long thread on that issue.

Mobil 1 is significantly cheaper and meets both the latest API SM and ILSAC GF-4 standards. Some would even argue that Mobil 1 is also overpriced for a synthetic and better value could be obtained with Pennzoil Platinum. There is a difference in performance and you would have to be the judge of the value in that.

"""I previously used Redline in my other Vette I had, but have now gone to Amsoil because I was unsure of who made the Redline additive package, although I have seen it rumored that it is actually 76 that makes the package for them."""

All wrong 76 makes NO add paks.

"""The first part hints that Redline uses Lead Napthenate """

All wrong they use none.

bruce

Winston wrote:
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

M1 5W30 SM oil is not thin! 100c Visc is 11.3.

Redline is probably the best. M1 probably allows a bit more valve train wear than Redline, although it will keep your engine clean. I would not trust the regular M1 with too long of an OCI. I think Redline would go farther.

Don't forget to look at original post date. This thread was started in early 2003 when Mobil 1 formulation was SL or maybe even SK.
confused.gif

That said, Patman's comment about Mobil 1 thinness at the time was correct.

Amsoil;

527,000 miles on original engine and transmission.

1998 3.9 automatic, long-bed Dakota.

Amsoil by-pass filteration and lubrication: ATF, Series 2000 0W-30 oil.

I tend to think Amsoil had something to do with this.

Kalbri,
That you don't understand Multi Level/Network Marketing is irrelevant; Amway took the case to the United States Supreme Court over thirty years ago, and the Business Model was judged legal.

What MLM does is save the money spent on stores and advertising and gets it to individuals with their own businesses who do that job. That is what Pablo is doing here, advertising and serving people who want information and products.
Tha manufacturer also makes more money, thus is able to invest more into higher quality base products in manufacture and R&D.

Amsoil doesn't have API Certification, mainly because their products are being constantly improved, and so would require re-cirtification, and that would be a waste of money better used elsewhere.

Amsoil has a guarantee. Amsoil stands behind it's guarantee.

You won't believe me, Pablo or even the guarantee printed at their web site.
You can, however, be assured by asking an attorney.

quote:

Originally posted by Ron AKA:
The differences are simple. Redline and Royal Purple are overpriced and are not certified to API and ILSAC GF standards. Redline has a high HTHS and will cost you gas mileage and HP over a similar weight GF-4 certified oil. Do a search on "Redline" in the forum and you will find a long thread on that issue.

I don't understand this mileage thing at all. I switched to Redline 5W30 in my Corolla, and have been getting the best fuel mileage I've ever got. I mean the difference between a thinner Mobil 1 and the Redline was not even measureable.

quote:

Originally posted by luvs2drive:

quote:

Originally posted by Ron AKA:

I don't understand this mileage thing at all. I switched to Redline 5W30 in my Corolla, and have been getting the best fuel mileage I've ever got. I mean the difference between a thinner Mobil 1 and the Redline was not even measureable.

These are Rons opinions. He is taking one specification of Redline oil (HTHS) and concluding that it provides inferior mpg because of it's high HTHS. In reality there are other factors that contribute to mpg with a given oil. Redline oil causes engines to produce more hp and better mpg, in large part because of the high dose of Moly acts as an AF agent.

I think I know the site you are talking about. I just priced out 14 quarts of mixed products oil/lubes, shipped for about $128.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back