Difference of opnion

Status
Not open for further replies.
rolleyes.gif
My son in law and I were talking and he was telling me his construction job truck has the oil changed every 3000 mi with Valvoline syn power & filter for $60.He said if it were him he would buy regular oil whatever was on sale and change it every 15000 mi. He said the truck idles for sometimes 7 hrs in the 96 degree heat with the A/C on and hauls stuff and what is considered extream conditions.I told him if you do a Auto RX flush and put in a good Synthetic like AMSOIL M1 or GC after 2000 mi put a 1/2 pint of Schaeffer Moly E P Oil treatment and then run till 15000 provided you use a good oil filter.I said you may save money for a while but with my method you will most likly have a better running engine , better UOA and perhaps better mileage.How can I convince him that it just makes good $ I mean sense.
dunno.gif

I'd stick with the 3000 interval and synthetic.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie!

Construction site usually have lots of dust , and the idling for long times in high ambient temperatures has to be equal to or worse than 10,000 miles of driving.

I know a few people like your son-in-law.

They are the ones with 4 year old vehicles trailing a cloud of blue smoke.

BTW acording to Ford Fleet 1 hour of idle is equal to 33 mi of driving.

Gene

To start off, I'd get a UOA done based on a sample from right before his next change.
If the oil has high silicon contamination levels from the job site's dust level then the policy your SIL's employer is practicing is in fact the best bet.
Although I would probably never use Valvoline in any application, unless I got it on sale. I'd be more inclined to run Mobil 1 or a good HDEO.

I sounds to me that the truck is being serviced very well. What life do they expect to get from that truck - years of more service? If so, then perhaps they are doing the right thing, given the running habits and environment. Note that my perspective is as an owner of a '97 Camry with one of the potential "sludge motors". I think that I have seen the beginning of the effects of heat stress on oil (but not the point of breakdown), and it makes me cautious. I believe that once oil starts to break down due to heat stress that it deteriorates rather quickly.

In terms of sound investments, my first thoughts: 1) Be sure the cooling system is in top condition.
2) Consider the addition of an oil cooler.

SWS

So I'm confused, does he want to change it at 3k with "synthetic" or at 15k with dino? I agree that your suggestion would be better than the 15k dino for his truck and better on the wallet than the 3k syn.

-T

Frequent changes is great, but I'd save the money and just grab Motorcraft or Havoline or some other good $1.50 oil with possibly an ARX treatment and maintenance.

rolleyes.gif
Yes its his company truck and its his thinking in general I was talking about. He could care less what they do with his company truck but he thinks if it were his company he would put cheap dino oil in for 15000. He feels that way about my daughters car and that is what bothers me so I maintain their car for free. My point
confused.gif
is how can I convince him that my thinking is better for his car, Truck whatever!I just don't want the new Camry abused
mad.gif
like that when it pays to give it TLC.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
rolleyes.gif
Yes its his company truck and its his thinking in general I was talking about. He could care less what they do with his company truck but he thinks if it were his company he would put cheap dino oil in for 15000. He feels that way about my daughters car and that is what bothers me so I maintain their car for free. My point
confused.gif
is how can I convince him that my thinking is better for his car, Truck whatever!I just don't want the new Camry abused
mad.gif
like that when it pays to give it TLC.
grin.gif

Sounds like your best bet is to give your daughter a whole lot of Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 and a whole lot of top rated oil filters.

And some Blackstone Oil test kits

And hope they use them!

If that won't work then squirt some Schaeffer #132 Moly E.P. Oil Treatment whenever you see the car:

Is your SIL a slob in other ways besides car maintenance?
If so, I see the future... and you are paying a lot of bills to keep your daughter well cared for, and not just for car maintenance.

If not, then there are 2 possibilities:
(1) He truly does not understand car maintenance, even with good examples from you and his company truck. He thinks that you are extreme. Go easy on him - this may take years, and he probably will not change. Don't lose him as a friend over this.

(2) Maybe he is a good guy with good sense, but he is just messing with your mind and getting some free oil in the process! If he is a Yankee then that would explain a lot.

Seriously, don't let this car maintenance stuff cause "family issues". Your daughter will chose him over you, your wife will be upset with you, and you will be sitting there with your feelings hurt, wondering what happened because you were just trying to help!

You need to consider that they have their own life now, and they need to be responsible for themselves. For your family's sake, you don't want to build walls of resentment over little stuff, and for your sake you don't want to pay for everything that's not right in your eyes.

Pick your battles carefully, and strive for a win-win situation.

SWS

Blow him over with your BITOG knowledge. After hearing about TBN, addative packages, base oils, SAE standards and OCIs, he probably leave the maintenance up to you.
grin.gif

For what it's worth, not alot of people in my family are very informed about car maintenance. I just change their oil for them.
wink.gif

Still got to work on my Dad's 6-8k Supertech oil changes thuogh.
rolleyes.gif

-T

rolleyes.gif
Thanks my wife says I need counciling with my excessive oil buying and searching the adds for deals on Air & oil filters. Washing my car 3 times a week even if its not dirty,using a shampooer on the carpet interior of a car 6 mo. old. I can't play golf right now so I found this I am a sick puppy. But as long as I enjoy it I will continue to to to change my OIL and WASH my car treating it like it is the last of its kind cause you never know!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
rolleyes.gif
Thanks my wife says I need counciling with my excessive oil buying and searching the adds for deals on Air & oil filters. Washing my car 3 times a week even if its not dirty,using a shampooer on the carpet interior of a car 6 mo. old. I can't play golf right now so I found this I am a sick puppy. But as long as I enjoy it I will continue to to to change my OIL and WASH my car treating it like it is the last of its kind cause you never know!
grin.gif

welcome.gif

All wive's think their husbands need counseling!
banghead.gif

------

Other than that it's simple...either you're a car guy or your not!

If taking care of cars is fun then tell her don't knock a good thing!

Worst case you spend more time than most , and have nice cars to drive, that are more reliable and safer.

Best case you save some bucks, maybe a whole lot of bucks and have cars that are more reliable and , more importantly, cars that are safer.
cheers.gif

It sounds like you SIL's company has a good plan and wants to protect their investment.

You can suck in so much dust and contaminants in heavy construction that "severe" service schedules must be followed.

Everything else dictates a "low cost" synthetic. If your an Amsoil buff, then maybe the XL series if you can get it cheap enough.

I wouldn't do extended drains on this one, but you need a good enough syn to hold up. I grew up with construction, so I know how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back