Difference between these RTVs?

Seems its something great to have on hand. It'll replace my black oil pan gasket RTV with the optimum when my tube runs out.

Seems its something great to have on hand. It'll replace my black oil pan gasket RTV with the optimum when my tube runs out.
I would never stock RTV. Once it is opened, I toss it unless it is getting used that week. I had a tube of 1207B get hard to squeeze out and it was only opened for 3 weeks.

On the last Ford vehicle I looked up, which was a last-gen F-150, TA-357 was specified for the engine and TA-30 was specified for the differential.

This seems to be a newer product because it's specified for the differential on a 2020 model, Explorer I think, based on a Google search.

I would never stock RTV. Once it is opened, I toss it unless it is getting used that week. I had a tube of 1207B get hard to squeeze out and it was only opened for 3 weeks.
I chuck tubes out also, not worth keeping any of the product. All tubed RTV Permatex instructions say "to discard remaining product in the tube" also.

I use the "Powerbead" dispensers that can be re-used if the "dispenser nozzle if left full of RTV so it forms a plug"

Interesting that I found that the product storage instructions call for a temperature range:

"STORAGE: Products shall be ideally stored in a cool, dry location in unopened containers at a temperature between 8_ to 28_C (46_ to 82_F) unless otherwise labeled. Optimal storage is at the lower half of this temperature range. To prevent contamination of unused product, do not return any material to its original container"

I found a document for every Permatex product listed in a column on the left, with every auto manufactures OEM part number compatibility for each product.
Kind of neat, good info if you want to use the EXACT Permatex product that meets the OEM specifications by every auto manufactures applicable part number called for.

Overkill for sure, but if you want to do it that way, its great information.

I can't attach it, its a PDF

I chuck tubes out also, not worth keeping any of the product. All tubed RTV Permatex instructions say "to discard remaining product in the tube" also.

I use the "Powerbead" dispensers that can be re-used if the "dispenser nozzle if left full of RTV so it forms a plug"

Interesting that I found that the product storage instructions call for a temperature range:

"STORAGE: Products shall be ideally stored in a cool, dry location in unopened containers at a temperature between 8_ to 28_C (46_ to 82_F) unless otherwise labeled. Optimal storage is at the lower half of this temperature range. To prevent contamination of unused product, do not return any material to its original container"

I found a document for every Permatex product listed in a column on the left, with every auto manufactures OEM part number compatibility for each product.
Kind of neat, good info if you want to use the EXACT Permatex product that meets the OEM specifications by every auto manufactures applicable part number called for.

Overkill for sure, but if you want to do it that way, its great information.

I can't attach it, its a PDF
In my experience with Threebond products, the product will dry out even when it is stored in a tightly capped tube. My tube of 1207B was opened on 1/8/22 for this reseal:

The tube was not supposed to expire until 3/31/22.

When I went to reseal my Prius's cam housing and timing cover on 2/9/22:

The product was noticeably more difficult to squeeze out. I had a bad feeling about it so I took it back apart 2 hours later and it was still not cured. Usually, 1207B is at least somewhat cured after a few hours. I went and purchased a new tube from the dealer and that one squeezed out like butter. It has always been my practice to toss a tube after each job and this experience only confirmed it.

Also, I have never been a huge fan of the Permatex or Loctite RTV's. They take a while to cure and adhesion seems weaker than the Threebond products I have used. I used Optimum Grey once and was unimpressed.

Who knew this would cause so many posts, been an Engineer well over 50 years each RTV is Engineered for a specific application. I would say that transmission pan gaskets require extra care, a small marble of RTV in the transmission could spell disaster

A small marble of anything wouldn't do any harm. Ford used to have a marble size piece of plastic used in the assembly process drop down into the pan after startup.

I just want to add my home-made tube squeezer/rollers, might be my only claim to fame and might help get more use out of a tube. I do tend to reuse any if it is still usable and the Right Stuff in a can works great but I think that is the one I couldn't re-use after several months.

The tube squeezers were made from plumbing misc I got from the re-use store, the left one I slotted longer than necessary but it still works good, the right side shows one in use. I was going to buy one but cost and the wait for shipping wasn't something I was patient enough for. Just thought I'd share it here if some missed it one the tool thread and needed a quick plan in the future.

Attachments

• 20210731_183813.jpg
    20210731_183813.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for posting that, I'd forgotten I evetually wanted to get one, I got the idea for my home-made one from a key type which they sell for about $5.

Also, I have never been a huge fan of the Permatex or Loctite RTV's. They take a while to cure and adhesion seems weaker than the Threebond products I have used. I used Optimum Grey once and was unimpressed.
for small jobs, such as the T-junctions between block/timing cover/valve cover, Permatex is fine. I wouldn’t use it on anything bigger than that. The Americans seem to be gravitating towards ThreeBond.

Though, I was debating The Right Stuff Grey 90 minute for my timing chain job since it offers longer open time. 5 minutes compared to 3 minutes for Toyota 103/ThreeBond 1207B. That potentially means more time to align the cover on the first try.

Back