Difference between the two Mobil 1 SS bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Kmart and saw two different Mobil 1 SS bottles!

The front label of bottle “A” says “NEW (red) SuperSyn” , the back of the bottle says “pours at -49 deg F.

The front label of bottle “B” says “mobil 1 Cd Case by Mail” “SuperSyn”, and the back of the bottle says “pours at -54 deg F”
They are booth mobil 1 SS 5w-30

Which one is the new formula with a lot of Moly in it? Thanks

[ November 04, 2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Wantmore ]

The CD case is a new promotion and the lower PP is the newer spec, so that's the newer SS bottle. I don't know about the moly.

Bottle "b" is in fact the newer one. We just started getting them to replace the original SS bottles at the autozone i work at.

10w30 is being changed to read "multi vehicle formula" instead of "high mileage vehicle formula"

quote:

Originally posted by Greg:
so what's the difference?

Probably just the labels. I always thought it was dumb of them to label their 10w30 as high mileage formula. Maybe they changed it after reading some of the posts on here!

Mobil and PR: Ihave noticed errors in their specs in the past (website). They also seem to have a problem with frequent changing of bottles to the point that I'm not sure whats really in them. I agree that calling the 10W-30 "for Higher Milage Cars" was just plain stupid. Their packaging and PR departments are definitely not run by very deep swimmers. I hope that their production depart and R&D is better. Sometimes I wonder about that.
shocked.gif

Quote:
"I hope that their production depart and R&D is better."

I believe Mobil gives us some very good products given their hands are tied behind their backs having to deal with that Starburst symbol and all.They are selling a great Supersyn Synthetic oil at less than the other Competitors group III's
cool.gif

I see where Walmart has dropped the price of the Pennzoil Pennzane Synthetic Group III
shocked.gif
by around a buck per quart( now $3.34 ) . Are they tired of knocking the dust off the bottles ?
grin.gif

I wish there was one Mobil1 xW30 that dropped the ILSAC standard/starburst. It would be about 12cST@100C and/or HTHS >3.5@150C. That would qualify for ACEA A3 like their 0W40.
THEN they could truly call it the "higher mileage formula". And I would buy it.

[ November 10, 2002, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: impala_sc ]

quote:

Originally posted by impala_sc:
I wish there was one Mobil1 xW30 that dropped the ILSAC standard/starburst. It would be about 12cST@100C and/or HTHS >3.5@150C. That would qualify for ACEA A3 like their 0W40.

Why not just buy their 0w40 then?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by impala_sc:

Why not just buy their 0w40 then?

Or the Delvac 1 (5W-40)??

both are very good suggestions, and I may do that. There's a large gap between their 10W30 and 0W40 and I think a non-ILSAC ACEA A3 5W30 would fit nicely.
code:

Mobil1:

5W30: 53.7 cST@40C 9.7 cST@100C

10W30: 61.3 cST@40C 9.8 cST@100C

0W40: 80.3 cST@40C 14.4 cST@100C

Delvac1:

5W40: 95.0 csT@40C 15.0 cST@100C

With numbers like these, I think it would be quite cold before the 0W40 equals the viscosity of 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back