Difference between the two Mobil 1 SS bottles

I went to Kmart and saw two different Mobil 1 SS bottles! The front label of bottle “A” says “NEW (red) SuperSyn” , the back of the bottle says “pours at -49 deg F. The front label of bottle “B” says “mobil 1 Cd Case by Mail” “SuperSyn”, and the back of the bottle says “pours at -54 deg F” They are booth mobil 1 SS 5w-30 Which one is the new formula with a lot of Moly in it? Thanks [ November 04, 2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Wantmore ]

Bottle "b" is in fact the newer one. We just started getting them to replace the original SS bottles at the autozone i work at. 10w30 is being changed to read "multi vehicle formula" instead of "high mileage vehicle formula"

Patman

Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by Greg: so what's the difference?
Probably just the labels. I always thought it was dumb of them to label their 10w30 as high mileage formula. Maybe they changed it after reading some of the posts on here!

Al

Mobil and PR: Ihave noticed errors in their specs in the past (website). They also seem to have a problem with frequent changing of bottles to the point that I'm not sure whats really in them. I agree that calling the 10W-30 "for Higher Milage Cars" was just plain stupid. Their packaging and PR departments are definitely not run by very deep swimmers. I hope that their production depart and R&D is better. Sometimes I wonder about that. [Eek!]

Quote: "I hope that their production depart and R&D is better." I believe Mobil gives us some very good products given their hands are tied behind their backs having to deal with that Starburst symbol and all.They are selling a great Supersyn Synthetic oil at less than the other Competitors group III's [Cool] I see where Walmart has dropped the price of the Pennzoil Pennzane Synthetic Group III [Eek!] by around a buck per quart( now $3.34 ) . Are they tired of knocking the dust off the bottles ? [Big Grin]

Patman

Staff member
quote:
Originally posted by impala_sc: I wish there was one Mobil1 xW30 that dropped the ILSAC standard/starburst. It would be about [email protected] and/or HTHS >[email protected] That would qualify for ACEA A3 like their 0W40. THEN they could truly call it the "higher mileage formula". And I would buy it.
Why not just buy their 0w40 then?

Al

quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
quote:
Originally posted by impala_sc: I wish there was one Mobil1 xW30 that dropped the ILSAC standard/starburst. It would be about [email protected] and/or HTHS >[email protected] That would qualify for ACEA A3 like their 0W40. THEN they could truly call it the "higher mileage formula". And I would buy it.
Why not just buy their 0w40 then?

Or the Delvac 1 (5W-40)??