Difference Between M1 Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 vehicles, both with about 130k miles and both full size SUV's running 5w30. Mix of highway and in town driving and sometimes used to tow. Florida climate
What is the difference between the M1 Synthetic, M1 High Mileage Synthetic and the M1 Extended Performance Synthetic? Looking for a little more than the obvious label difference to help decide which I should use.
Price is not an issue, since they are all within $3.00 of each other for a 5 qt jug at Walmart

I went to Mobil 1 website.
I used their "Which oil is right for me" selector and it came back with several options for my 98 Expedition, but all were 5w20 weight. My manual and engine specs recommend 5w30 weight.
For my 03 Suburban, it recommended 5w30.
Keeping in mind, mileage was not offered as any criteria in the selection categories.
Why do you suppose Mobil 1 would recommend a heavier weight oil for my Expedition? Age?
Also in another post, I was showing signs of oil in my intake plenum and the consensus was possibly valve guide seals. Would a heavier weight oil help with that?

If you don't burn oil, & run 10K a year or less, the best M1 is the cheapest one, especially after rebate. EP seems superior in my experience, I haven't used AP yet (some on deck from the AAP closeout, though).

Why do you suppose Mobil 1 would recommend a heavier weight oil for my Expedition? Age?

Because they are restricted to what the manufacturer says, not what is "best." Ford likely back-spec'd that and it's what's in their database.

In Florida, a 10w-30 makes a lot more sense. For my suv, also in a climate w/o cold, I use the M1 10w-30 HM because it is a substantially more robust oil than the other M1 flavors. HTHS of it is 3.5, vs 3.0 for plain M1 10w-30, and suitable for a harder-working truck engine.

Also in another post, I was showing signs of oil in my intake plenum and the consensus was possibly valve guide seals. Would a heavier weight oil help with that?

Yes, and an HM oil. Mine quit leaking after I started using M1 HM oil, as well as lifter tick disappearing.

Back in early March this list was posted by another forum member (Gokhan).

M1 AFE 0W-16: PAO-based

M1 AFE 0W-20: 1/2 PAO-based and some GTL
M1 EP 0W-20: PAO-based
M1 EP HM 0W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 0W-20: 1/4 PAO- and 1/4 GTL-based
M1 TP 0W-20: 2/3 PAO and 1/3 Group III
M1 AP 0W-20: PAO-based

M1 5W-20: 2/3 GTL
M1 EP 5W-20: 1/3 PAO, a dash of GTL
M1 EP HM 5W-20: only a dash of PAO (less than 10%)
M1 HM 5W-20: 1/4 GTL, a dash of PAO
M1 TP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO
M1 AP 5W-20: 1/4 PAO

I know you are asking about 30 weight versions of Mobil 1 but I'm guessing that each formula uses a different base oil stew just like the 20 weights shown here.
I would guess that all versions are excellent but I'd have some doubts about mixing one with the other...

10-30 or even 15-40 is better in the heat + even oils using real synthetic PAO + or Ester will likely burn off + protect less than higher viscosity fake synthetic base oils using . check out savage geese you tube motor oil the fine print along with other great vids by him.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Because they are restricted to what the manufacturer says, not what is "best." Ford likely back-spec'd that and it's what's in their database.

In Florida, a 10w-30 makes a lot more sense. For my suv, also in a climate w/o cold, I use the M1 10w-30 HM because it is a substantially more robust oil than the other M1 flavors. HTHS of it is 3.5, vs 3.0 for plain M1 10w-30, and suitable for a harder-working truck engine.

Yes, and an HM oil. Mine quit leaking after I started using M1 HM oil, as well as lifter tick disappearing.

^^^ Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage would serve you well for 5k to 10k runs^^^

If you are running 5-7k miles on your oil with a low mileage vehicle, then just use plain vanilla Mobil 1. If you are running 7500 miles an up on your oil, use Mobil 1 EP. If your engine has a lot of miles on it, say 150k and up, run Mobil 1 High Mileage and drop your change interval back to 5-6k miles.

Ended up getting the Extended Performance High Mileage 5W30 $27.00 for 5qts jug.
WM did not have the 10w30 in the EPHM, but I still change about 5-6k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back