Difference between M1 "regular" 5-30 and EP?

2.0 Ecoboost, probably 7500 mi OCI. Any difference to the engine in the regular brew and the EP?

Keep it simple. If staying within The manufacturers OCI then use regular M1. If extending the OCI past the manufacturers interval then use EP.

I run EP in my Ecoboost 3.5 and change according to the OLM, which works out to about 10k. I just feel more comfortable with the PAO content in the EP for the tough life in a turbo DI engine tugging a big van around. But I'm sure "regular" M1 would handle it. I'm also sure it has some PAO, but not as much as EP. Overkill on an oil never hurt an engine though.

Regular Mobil 1 is guaranteed to 10,000 miles. EP is guaranteed to 20,000 miles. The major difference between the two is the extended OCI. If you’re not taking advantage of that then what’s the point?
I thought there is a caveat on severe duty, so for me i would still use EP for 10,,000 miles if I have a lot of urban driving. My personal experience with regular M1 it will noticeably deteriorate within 5k miles with urban driving.

I thought there is a caveat on severe duty, so for me i would still use EP for 10,,000 miles if I have a lot of urban driving. My personal experience with regular M1 it will noticeably deteriorate within 5k miles with urban driving.

That’s why Mobil 1 and other oil companies will state it as “up to 10,000 miles” or whatever number they decide.

The oil may last up to 10k or 20k but will your engine allow it?

My personal experience is that I cannot detect deterioration. But maybe your experience is different.

Regular Mobil 1 is guaranteed to 10,000 miles. EP is guaranteed to 20,000 miles. The major difference between the two is the extended OCI. If you’re not taking advantage of that then what’s the point?

Well, the EP is only a few bucks more. What's that in an expensive vehicle? Better than blowing it on booze or cigarettes.

I do think that the PAO content in EP makes it a more stout oil. So if you had a problem and your engine overheated, for example, it might buy you a slightly greater margin of safety before something gets damaged. Or in a turbo, it would likely handle turbo cooking better, where one runs an engine hard and then shuts it off without any cooling down, causing oil to sit there and get cooked. I think the PAO enables the oil to weather that a little better.

But I still think regular M1 would serve just fine. I don't think the extra margin of safety hurts anything, especially for only a few bucks. I think M1 is about 24 or 25 bucks a jug and EP is about 27 or 28 at my local Wallyworld. That's nothing. Especially on my 7k to 10k OCIs.

And one more thing. What if you get into a life situation where you have to go beyond the recommended OCI? In my Ecoboost, the EP gets me well beyond 10k with some peace of mind. I wouldn't feel as comfortable doing that with regular M1. I've not done it, but I'm old enough to know that life can throw you curve balls.

Back