Diff oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru R180 limited slip, street/auto-x. Factory calls for 75/90 GL-5. Car sees Temps in excess of 115f ambient in the summer, and sees temps well below zero in the mountains.
Car makes substantially more power than stock. Capacity is a hair over 1 qt.

If you could put in any gear oil, at any price, from any blender, what would it be.

Mobil 1. Serves me very well in my Frontier hauling loads and running at highway speeds summer and winter.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Seems like you would want something at the high end of 90, but not want a 140.

Amsoil SVT 75W-110 Link to SVT 75W-110

agree on that. The op can do a search on the basis of the 110 diff fluids, which is, IMO the best fit given the definition of the vehicle and its operation.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Seems like you would want something at the high end of 90, but not want a 140.

Amsoil SVT 75W-110 Link to SVT 75W-110

agree on that. The op can do a search on the basis of the 110 diff fluids, which is, IMO the best fit given the definition of the vehicle and its operation.

I also agree on this stuff (oh, how I wish I could use it with my Eaton (carbon fiber clutch pack) Posi!!!), as long as you can use a synthetic gear oil in the Scooby's diff(s).
What type diff(s) is/are it/they??
What does Subie (or the mfg., if it is a performance aftermarket company's l.s.) say about synthetics???

They are AP Suretrac diffs. There has been SVT in it for almost 2 years now, and I have used the Severe Gear and FGR in more Subie diffs than I can remember. ( I am our local clubs "Amsoil guy")

Our local dealer installs syth fluids there. ( They sell Motul and Eneos )

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
They are AP Suretrac diffs. There has been SVT in it for almost 2 years now, and I have used the Severe Gear and FGR in more Subie diffs than I can remember. ( I am our local clubs "Amsoil guy")

COOL!
Did Prodrive use AP diffs in the WRC cars when they were still building them and in the series??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Thingfish

COOL!
Did Prodrive use AP diffs in the WRC cars when they were still building them and in the series??

Yes, this is an RA / Prodrive six speed.

Google the trans tag.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2s6ng5c.jpg

Last edited:
SO, out of every fluid available, anywhere, at any cost, the fluid that is already in the diff if the one that seems to be the best.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back