Diff oil change pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't visited or posted in BITOG for a while but I'm back lurking/posting/trolling.

Decided to take pics on my recent differential oil change in my 2001 Toyota Tundra. Old fill was Mobil 1 75W90 with ~60,000 miles.

Bought 4qts of Eneos 75W90 gear oil. Note the bottle design hence the funnel and tube.
1026111748-00.jpg

Quick RnR here thanks to hotchkiss
1026111704-00.jpg

Don't drop the drain bolt, butterfingers
1026111705-00.jpg

Metal shavings on drain bolt magnet
1026111706-00.jpg

Drain/fill bolt
1026111706-01.jpg

Snot
1026111708-00.jpg

Mmm...sulphur smell
1026111713-00.jpg

Clean drain bolt
1026111717-00.jpg

I should also add that this oil does not have the friction modifiers/additives for limited-slip differentials.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Thanks for those pics. This is probably a stupid question but did that magnetic plug come stock?

Yep, it's stock.

Thanks for the post. IMO....The M1 gear oil that you drained still looked good after 60K.

I had drained my Toyota fill a few times after 40K and it was always very gray and cloudy.

Your MI still had the rich color of gear oil after 60K which is remarkable.

My current fill in the front, Rear Diffs and transfer case is M1, 75w-90 that I changed in July on my T4R. So far it's been smooth sailing with the M1.

Any reason for the Gear oil change or you just figured it was ready to be changed? That Enos, you used, is some fine gear oil from what I hear....

Thanks again.

Why does gear oil have that awful smell? I spilled some on my driveway a year ago and you can still smell it when it is hot outside.

As for your pics, looks like the M1 was doing ok. I still don't understand why magnetic plugs are not standard on oil pans.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Why does gear oil have that awful smell? I spilled some on my driveway a year ago and you can still smell it when it is hot outside.

As for your pics, looks like the M1 was doing ok. I still don't understand why magnetic plugs are not standard on oil pans.

I would settle for standard drain plugs...

The sulfur smell is from the extreme pressure additives and maybe also the additives that permit the sliding motion of the gear teeth in the hypoid differential (requiring the GL-5 spec). Some brands use different additives to do the same job with different odors.

The magnet is important where there are steel-to-steel gear tooth contact. There is little such contact in an engine. I do use a Neodymium magnet on my engine drain plug (the neo magnet retains more magnetism when hot), and it picks up iron particles small enough to pass through the oil filter.

I hesitated if I should or not but it is for your health, maybe you should think about using nitrile gloves when changing oil.
I do not know if it has any base but if we are to believe what they say on bottles, repair manuals etc., used motor oil (I do not know if it includes differential oil) is bad for your skin.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I hesitated if I should or not but it is for your health, maybe you should think about using nitrile gloves when changing oil.
I do not know if it has any base but if we are to believe what they say on bottles, repair manuals etc., used motor oil (I do not know if it includes differential oil) is bad for your skin.

They post that warning mostly because of the raw fuel, and acidic blowby content (from combustion) which is in used motor oil.

But the afforementioned sulfur compounds, and various additives (limited slip, or otherwise) in GL5 gear oils cannot be too good for one's skin/health either, so YES, I would (and DO) wear nitrile (or better) gloves while changing my gear oil as well.
Besides, it keeps that horrid stench (which would otherwise take a week to go away!!) off of your hands.
wink.gif

I am trying to do drain/refill on diferential/transfer for my buddy 2009 toyota matrix AWD ..

The manual say rear differential 0.5 qt and transfer 0.8 qt. I thought it might need 3qt ??? anyone know?

Mongo161: "The M1 gear oil that you drained still looked good after 60K."

I'm not a Mobil fan but I agree. I can't believe how bad the factory gear oil looked when I drained it out of my S2000 after only 15,000 miles and 5 years on it.
sick.gif

Hello, Just my experience: I found the fluid in my sister's 1999 Jeep Cherokee's two diffs to be "clear" looking upon removal of the covers. I'm still glad I did it because I was able to clean out a ton of grit which I assume was metal bits. The vehicle had 150K at the time. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back