DIESELS ACCOUNT FOR 12% OF VW’S 2017 APRIL SALES

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.motortrend.com/news/diesels-accounted-for-12-percent-of-volkswagen-u-s-sales-in-april/

From link above

Customers in the U.S. are still clamoring for Volkswagen diesels despite all the controversy surrounding deceptive emissions practices. Diesels accounted for nearly 12 percent of VW’s U.S. sales for the month of April, a sizeable chunk considering the automaker just started selling these vehicles again for the first time since September 2015.

VW returned to selling new 2015 diesel vehicles in mid-April, VW has confirmed. Recently, the EPA cleared Volkswagen Group to sell these cars in the U.S. after an approved software update. More diesel fixes are expected to be approved in the coming weeks, reports Reuters, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter.

In April, VW sold 3,196 diesel cars in the U.S., representing almost 12 percent of the brand’s sales totaling 27,557. While impressive, it’s nowhere near the 25-percent share that diesels commanded before the scandal hit.

As part of its plan to make things right, VW has bought back nearly 238,000 diesel vehicles from customers. However, it has not started reselling these vehicles, focusing only on new 2015 models.

Although consumers are clearly still interested in VW diesels, the automaker says it has no plans to make new diesel models for the U.S. Instead, it’s turning its efforts to electric vehicles. Volkswagen Group wants to sell 2-3 million electric cars per year across the globe by 2025, and North America is expected to be a key part of that goal.

Source: Reuters

They only have approval and fix for >=2015. The first one is software however these cars still all require a hardware upgrade too.....

My brother in law picked up a new 2015 TDI wagon with manual transmission for $19500 and 0% finance 6 years. They sadly turned in a 2014 TDI wagon for a Rogue but picked this up to replace his 280k 2009 Corolla.

The large incentives to sell a 2015 are helping them fly off shelf beyond the last TDI.

Since VW thought they'd get away with their little smog test work around do you ever wonder what else they've done because they're so smart and everyone else is stupid?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Since VW thought they'd get away with their little smog test work around do you ever wonder what else they've done because they're so smart and everyone else is stupid?

Fair question

I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer when the EPA caught Honda mucking up emissions. I also remember Cadillac defeating emissions on the 4.9L engine
when the AC was turned on, something like half a million vehicles. VW should have known better if they looked back at history.

Who "wants" a check engine light or carboned throttle body woes? Not VW. They've proven it!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.motortrend.com/news/diesels-accounted-for-12-percent-of-volkswagen-u-s-sales-in-april/

From link above

Customers in the U.S. are still clamoring for Volkswagen diesels despite all the controversy surrounding deceptive emissions practices. Diesels accounted for nearly 12 percent of VW’s U.S. sales for the month of April, a sizeable chunk considering the automaker just started selling these vehicles again for the first time since September 2015.

VW returned to selling new 2015 diesel vehicles in mid-April, VW has confirmed. Recently, the EPA cleared Volkswagen Group to sell these cars in the U.S. after an approved software update. More diesel fixes are expected to be approved in the coming weeks, reports Reuters, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter.

In April, VW sold 3,196 diesel cars in the U.S., representing almost 12 percent of the brand’s sales totaling 27,557. While impressive, it’s nowhere near the 25-percent share that diesels commanded before the scandal hit.

As part of its plan to make things right, VW has bought back nearly 238,000 diesel vehicles from customers. However, it has not started reselling these vehicles, focusing only on new 2015 models.

Although consumers are clearly still interested in VW diesels, the automaker says it has no plans to make new diesel models for the U.S. Instead, it’s turning its efforts to electric vehicles. Volkswagen Group wants to sell 2-3 million electric cars per year across the globe by 2025, and North America is expected to be a key part of that goal.

Source: Reuters

My vicious opinion is the US government forced a consent decree on VW to promise to develop electric cars and say they're going to sell 2-3 million of them per year by the year 2025. That should drive them under for good.

How many people out there really think VW will sell even 1/10th that number of electric cars?

internal combustion engines will be speck in market in 10-15 years or once a decent battery is developed. The delay will be people accepting them.

VW got a nice kick in rear to get out of immediate money and move onto next thing.

There are millions of people who just want a transportation device. If they didn't have to drive at all they would be happier. Places in the world with heavy population density have a higher demand for quiet vibration free transportation(if only we could get these reluctant drivers on buses, I digress). The resources for the batteries for electric cars comes from a country with crippling air pollution and a heavy dependence on foreign oil. They also have the fastest growing car market in the world.
Just some dots to connect.
When diesel loses favor in the biggest car markets it's out. Europe buys tons of diesel powered vehicles but I don't know if it's enough to keep it alive in cars. The CUV will keep diesel power alive in Europe and in countries where oil as fuel is heavily taxed.
In the U.S.A. we still have wide open expanses of roads that will require a longer range than batteries can provide plus drivers will still have range anxiety.

If we Americans, as a whole, undertook to care about our cars as much as we do the plots of half a dozen different TV shows at a time and the best sex positions and pick-up techniques, our emissions related to transportation would drop by at least 20%. Technology can enrich mankind, or it can enable us...

FWIW I have a Chevy Cruze that gets close to diesel mpg. When you take into account the cost difference of gas vs. diesel (I think because of the low sulfur mandate) it's give or take the same. My neighbor has a 2014 WV diesel and he likes it and says it has loads of torque.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
internal combustion engines will be speck in market in 10-15 years or once a decent battery is developed. The delay will be people accepting them.

Electric car fanatics have been saying that since 1912. Hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
My vicious opinion is the US government forced a consent decree on VW to promise to develop electric cars and say they're going to sell 2-3 million of them per year by the year 2025. That should drive them under for good.

VW isn't going anywhere. They were the #1 car maker IN THE WORLD. You have to think beyond our little American marketplace. The world doesn't revolve around us.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I also remember Cadillac defeating emissions on the 4.9L engine when the AC was turned on, something like half a million vehicles.

THAT is very common in europe: turn on AC and EGR closes....

Originally Posted By: surfstar

VW isn't going anywhere. They were the #1 car maker IN THE WORLD.

I'm pretty certain at one point the same statement was made in regards to GM
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: surfstar

VW isn't going anywhere. They were the #1 car maker IN THE WORLD.

I'm pretty certain at one point the same statement was made in regards to GM
coffee2.gif

GM is still in the top three.

Huge difference in loyalty never recognized in these discussions (I have German engineers on my staff, they will not consider anything else).

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Electric car fanatics have been saying that since 1912. Hasn't happened yet.

As someone involved in engineering systems that use batteries, I'd agree.

One needs to look at the energy density of fuel vs li-ion batteries. Even if energy density is improved 2-3x, its still much lower.

The saving grace for electrical drive is the 85+% efficiency.

But if you get higher thermal efficiency of IC (which maintains the relevance of diesel),it still wins.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW I have a Chevy Cruze that gets close to diesel mpg. When you take into account the cost difference of gas vs. diesel (I think because of the low sulfur mandate) it's give or take the same. My neighbor has a 2014 WV diesel and he likes it and says it has loads of torque.

I have a Cruze, too - in spite of all the bad press it's been a good car. Another dynamic of that particular comparison is that I believe TDI's all have timing belts, Cruze and plenty of other gas sippers don't. Cruze runs best on at least 89 octane so fuel cost might be the same (not counting DEF) but between the cost of paying a good diesel mechanic for any non-PM repairs and timing belts as much 3 times over the course of the car's lifespan, that can close the gap in cost of ownership between a TDI and others.

Timing chains don't have eternal life either, and 1 change of chain, tensioner, guide and sprockets costs as muc as or more as 3 timing belt changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back