diesel sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it still possible to use home heating oil to run your modern diesel auto s or trucks? As a
child in the 60's I remember my uncle using it to fuel his diesel Mercedes

This seemed fitting:

IMG_4849.jpg

Is it that much cheaper? I also dont think there are any anti wear additives, when my heating oil guy comes to fill my outdoor tank at the shop, he always adds a bottle of anti gel. Im guessing if it was treated like at the pumps he wouldnt bring it, but could be an easy upsell I guess.

$0.79 a gallon CNG fumigation is the way to save money in a diesel and add power but it's also only economical if done illegally

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
$0.79 a gallon CNG fumigation is the way to save money in a diesel

How do you run CNG in a diesel? My county runs the local buses on CNG but assumed they were gas engines. Never see the dark smoky exhaust.

Originally Posted by atikovi

How do you run CNG in a diesel? My county runs the local buses on CNG but assumed they were gas engines. Never see the dark smoky exhaust.

It's a catalyst not a base fuel.

Cofiring, by way of a modified intake manifold and controls.

$0.79 a gallon CNG fumigation is the way to save money in a diesel and add power but it's also only economical if done illegally

I'll bite-how do you compress & bottle your own CNG? I always assumed it was purchased from the local CNG fueling station? Compressing it yourself sounds like a good way to cause a massive explosion...

1. Home heating oil and/or farm Diesel fuel does not have road tax added to the sale price and is generally dyed red. Getting caught with red fuel in the tank of your vehicle on the public highways is not good. Governments really don't like people trying to get out of paying taxes and can be quite forceful about expressing that displeasure.

2. Propane and/or CNG can be injected into the manifold of your Diesel engine. The propane/CNG will not ignite until the Diesel fuel begins to burn. The propane/CNG will then burn and add energy to the combustion process. It will replace some of the Diesel fuel that is normally used to run the engine. It may consume enough of the oxygen in the cylinder to cause smoking when the Diesel injection gets to full throttle.
Not really recommended for Detroit Diesel (or other branded) 2 cycle Diesels, as about half of your propane/CNG will go straight out the exhaust.

You save the road tax and if bought in enough volume off season there is some money to be saved. I wouldn't use it on a modern DPF/catalyst engine, asking for problems. Chances are slim to be caught in most places I've been. Who checks and when?

You might not save much money at all. Where we live auto diesel is $0.15 more than home heating oil (currently). When you consider the cost of additives, it really doesn't make much sense. If you own a farm or ranch you don't pay taxes anyway.

Off road diesel [No road tax] is tinted red . I have never seen heating oil. I have a hunch home heating oil has more of the nasties [sulfur etc] than automotive diesel .

Originally Posted by CT8
Nothing specific to liberals, people from all political sides evade taxes.

It is smart to evade taxes as possible.

Maybe get your quotes right. I didn't post that.

Originally Posted by CT8
Off road diesel [No road tax] is tinted red . I have never seen heating oil. I have a hunch home heating oil has more of the nasties [sulfur etc] than automotive diesel .

It did, in these parts it's all 15 PPM ULSD, only thing different is the dye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back