Diesel Punishment in EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Europe was tightening diesel emission standards such that SCR (ammonia injection) in cars would be needed to meet standards like in the U.S.

The notion that incenting cars to use diesel to lower CO2, was one of the sillier ideas anyway. It just meant they imported more diesel from the US and exported surplus gasoline to be burned elsewhere. It lowered gasoline prices in the States for many years - thank you. And stunted growth of hybrids in Europe. Go figure.

well they do have similar emission rules, however enforcement of those rules is completely absent and tampering with emission controls is absolutely rampant. In Britain a diesel car is required to pass a MOT smog test, a rudimentary opacity test that ANY running diesel can pass, therefore removal of particle filters, egr valves, catalytic converters, and directing the CCV to the atmosphere is commonplace. This in turn allows clean diesel engines to pollute astronomically above their design and EU limits.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm

This test is based upon a 1960's diesel opacity test.

The air quality problems in Britain are a result of no adequate vehicle emission testing; interestingly there are members here and at the TDI club who are against any vehicle emission testing calling it a "scam" or a "tax"; I wonder how they will comment on this article.

If I recall correctly they are going implement new strighter MOT test for diesels in 2017, nitric oxide emissions will be checked etc. It might be very difficult to maintain euro5/euro6 diesel vehicle after that..

Shows how asinine environmental regulations are. Just a back door for taxation with no regard for the actual environment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Shows how asinine environmental regulations are. Just a back door for taxation with no regard for the actual environment.

+1 The simple fact there is no grandfather clause is irrefutable proof that it is just a cash grab.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 The simple fact there is no grandfather clause is irrefutable proof that it is just a cash grab.

and Obama and the EPA are to blame

Originally Posted By: Trav

QfT

Amazing all the people here who would get upset over their neighbor dumping leaves in their backyard, yet give a pass to the other neighbor's fires that give their kid asthma.

The way I read it is that some folks were successfully gutting the emissions equipment on their diesels. Now the bad apples (and all the honest diesel car owners) are having to pay for past transgressions.

I hope the US does more to make sure diesels are running clean. Seems like everyone I know that buys a truck removes the emissions bits.

If you've ever been to London, you know that it reeks of diesel. It actually makes me sick at times. Otherwise a fun city!

robert

Seems pretty easy to me: in (much of?) New England, if the check engine light is on, automatic inspection fail. At least for '96 and newer vehicles with OBDII. If the readiness codes aren't set, automatic fail. Police write nice fines if you get caught driving a vehicle with expired inspection sticker.

Here's the thing: one could remove the equipment, then reinstall for inspection purposes. But for most people, that's simply too much work. They'll leave it alone.

The only loophole is that sometimes one can "fool" a car into thinking everything is correct. O2 sensor simulators for example. I'm not sure how widespread of a problem that is, nor if it's worthwhile (at this time anyhow) to go after those who would modify vehicles in this manner. I get the impression that often, these hacks are to eek out a few more years out of a jalopy, not hacks on a nearly new vehicle.

But given the test algorithms I'm thinking it's not that easy to fake a system out.

I work with a guy who has a 2000 Ram diesel...it's been tweaked with a bigger turbo, intercooler, injectors, lift pump, and programmer. (IIRC, about 475HP at the wheels.) With the programmer set to "competition", it smokes (though not at either of the street settings). The CEL is off, it has no trouble passing a scan test.

IIRC, CT has no inspections.

Sad thing is, rolling coal is actually wasting fuel that could be extra HP with more air (better turbo/airflow). For example, the '06 in my sig could be made to do it until I replaced the stock paper air filter with the S&B drop in-with all stock programming.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sad thing is, rolling coal is actually wasting fuel that could be extra HP with more air (better turbo/airflow). For example, the '06 in my sig could be made to do it until I replaced the stock paper air filter with the S&B drop in-with all stock programming.

Yep. I have never seen anything come out the tailpipe on my 09 Dmax. Nuttin'.

I hate to say this, as the programs are rarely set up correctly, but we may need mandatory vehicle inspections.

Years ago a car rag stated something like a car running badly could emit as much pollution as THOUSANDS of brand new cars. If that is true then we must find a way to reduce the stinkers, be they diesel or gas powered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back