Diesel prices

Before Putin got angry diesel prices were about the same price if not cheaper than super unleaded. I know the excise tax is higher on diesel, but what explains the massive runaway price increase in diesel these days?

The EIA data shows that gasoline prices have risen by 27% in the last 6 weeks (as of last week). Diesel has gone up by 34%. Not that different in rise by percentage.

Some of it can be explained that diesel use is more inelastic - ie: large consumers of diesel can't just decide to not do the work they typically do - the demand for services are there. Gasoline use is more elastic - people cut driving, drive less, make more fuel efficient choices, etc...

At the end of the day, its all about uncertainty.

The rise in gas and diesel is due to the rise in the price of oil. The uncertainty of being able to buy X amount oil for guaranteed delivery at a future. date.

Just checked truck stop diesel prices where I live. Looks like Loves truck stops are charging well over $5 a gallon for diesel, even in Texas.

Before Putin got angry diesel prices were about the same price if not cheaper than super unleaded. I know the excise tax is higher on diesel, but what explains the massive runaway price increase in diesel these days?
Not here. Diesel is 20 cents a gallon more than 93 octane...which is essentially how it has always been here

What scares me is the five-figure cost to repair the SCR system when it fails outside of warranty. And it's not an *IF* , it's a when. No one can make these emissions diesels work.
That would depend on the car/truck and the failure, no?

The full DPF/SCR system on my Touareg adds up to about 5k but it doesn't fail all at once. My Touareg needed the SCR replaced at 125k. It wasn't more expensive than any other OEM catalytic converter assembly, and I don't think a cat failure in 125k miles is exclusive to diesels.

It is now at 130k and everything else in the system is original. DPF is showing less than half full. Now, if you feel that the cars don't need or shouldn't have these systems, that is easy enough to make happen.

If/when I hit a pothole with the Touareg, it'll cost be about $1,500 and I'll pick up power, torque, and mpg in the process.

....... No one can make these emissions diesels work.

They certainly seem to be far more problem prone, not to mention expensive, than the Diesel engines produced before all of this "Clean Diesel" nonsense started. The Cummins Diesel engine option in the Ram pickup is almost an additional $10 grand today.

And all of that soot and garbage has to go somewhere if it's not going out the tailpipe. All the crap they're putting on these modern Diesels is pale in comparison to the "smog pumps" of the 70's.

Everything is running away right now, not just diesel.

It depends on where you go. A Pilot truck stop near work is charging $5.49/gallon for diesel fuel. I don't understand this, because some small fuel stations nearby are under $5/gallon for diesel. You would think the reverse would be true and Pilot would be cheaper, since truckers usually buy a lot of fuel at a time, so the truck stops would sell lots of fuel (economy of scale).

For gasoline, Pilot is in line with the smaller stations at roughly $4.20/gallon for 87 octane.

So why the price increase before nut job Putin's war ? COVID-19 , no . It's a different virus in this world .

Death valley.... Little cheaper near me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-061511.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-061511.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220315-173928.jpg
    Screenshot_20220315-173928.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 10
Back