Diesel oil as a flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just found this site a few days ago, wow what a great place.

Many years ago, I read that using diesel oil works well for flushing engines. The article claimed this oil was very high in detergents. The idea was to run the oil for a week or two, drain and refill using your favourite brand.

Is there any truth to this idea?

I discovered this site due to the horror of checking my oil level, and finding it very low removed the cap to see black sludge coating everything. I was shocked and obviously I need to do something. The car is 9 years old and has done 155,000 miles. The oil itself is black and similar to treacle.

I drive about 80 miles a day at between 60-70 mph. I always thought sludge was related to driving stop-go city driving over short distances.

Sorry for the long rambling post

Steven

I've heard something similar before, except using kerosene, and this was from an Amsoil rep. He advised running kerosene in an engine for SHORT periods, like 10 minutes or so of idling to minimize load. According to him, this took out most of the sludge. Any truth to this, I don't know.

Why just run it for a week or two? Chevron (CalTex) Delo 400 IS my favorite oil. I have a gasoline, not diesel BMW. These oils have more detergent/dispersant to handle the soot in diesel engines. It also keeps my gas engine clean, but I don't think any oil can "flush out" existing hard deposits. Solvent-based flushing compounds may do more harm than good.

I heard removing 0.5 quarts of crankcase oil and adding 0.5 quarts Marvel Mystery Oil will clean an enigne well. MMO contains supposedly very strong detergents. The car should be run for a few hundred miles and then the oil and filter must be changed.

A couple ounces MMO can also be added to gas, and that will help keep the intake tract and injectors clean. MMO is pretty inexpensive compared to other snake oils.
fruit.gif

I forgot to say that MMO is probably kerosene with some additional additives!

PS: I spelled "engine" wrong in my previous post!
nono.gif

Running a solvent high in sulfurs (such as diesel or kerosene) will give some lubricity, but affords the oppotunity for sulfuric acid buildup and thinning of the oil.

quote:

Why just run it for a week or two? Chevron (CalTex) Delo 400 IS my favorite oil.

I think he meant diesel oil FUEL, not oil for diesel engines.

I've heard of people doing this (diesel fuel for 10 minutes) decades ago. Then again back then they also used diesel fuel and a match on fire ant mounds. Seems dangerous especially in newer HOTTER engines. I would worry about the flashpoint. Also newer materials may be more sensitive to fuel oils. There are good cleaner products now that I think would be a safer wiser choice.

[/QUOTE]I think he meant diesel oil FUEL, not oil for diesel engines.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Sorry, I did not make myself clear, I meant diesel oil, for the engine, not fuel.

quote:

Sorry, I did not make myself clear, I meant diesel oil, for the engine, not fuel.

OH!, I think Jimbo was the only one that had that right. In the words of Rosana Rosana Dana "Never mind".

P.S. Search this site for Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil series 3000. Also might search for auto rx.

I'm with Jimbo.... I run Diesel/Gaoline oils where I can (no 5w30 for my fords). Going into an engine it can start cleaning, but will never take it all the way. About 3 changes you see a difference in the analisis. In one gasoline pickup that had serious sludge we started with 10w30 CI-4, and told him to come back when it looked like it was thicker. 5 days later it was like a 20w50, then 8 days, then 15, finally switched him to 15w40 CI-4/SL.
If I had one sludged up I think I would use AutoRX or something I've read about here.
Many people here use Diesel fuel or Kerosene after a drain, I know of some who use Gasoline, and one who swears he stopped his oil consumption by draining his oil, filling the engine with laundry detergent and water, running it for 15 minutes, and replacing with oil. He swears that fixed his problems. I can't agree with any of these homebrew methods.

shocked.gif
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by widman:

I know of some who use Gasoline, and one who swears he stopped his oil consumption by draining his oil, filling the engine with laundry detergent and water, running it for 15 minutes, and replacing with oil. He swears that fixed his problems. I can't agree with any of these homebrew methods.

Thanks for the advice. I have found a guy in the UK who can get me Auto-rx, so I will get some soon.

Many people here use Diesel fuel or Kerosene after a drain

Forgive me if it sounds like a stupid question, but why add Kerosene after the oil has drained, or I am missing a technique.

Steven

Hi,

Detroit Diesel in Australia recommend two or three quick ( 8% of normal change cycle ) oil/filter changes with the highest rated oil ( say a CH if the engine has been on a CF oil ) as a starting point to reduce internal build up

They have found it works in many cases

We used to do that to on BMC 'A' & "B" engines
many many years ago

But I agree with many on here - why not use something like Delvac 1 ?

Regards

a

I agree with sprintman; if you can get Auto-Rx, that should be your first choice. (Don't forget: 2 bottles for the "over 100,000 miles" treatment.)

So, other than the oil turning to molasses (sorry, I have to go to a specialty shop to get real "treacle"!), how's the car running? And what kind of oil do you typically use, & how often do you change it?

So, other than the oil turning to molasses (sorry, I have to go to a specialty shop to get real "treacle"!), how's the car running? And what kind of oil do you typically use, & how often do you change it?

Ah, this is the embarrassing bit. The engine is basic running ok. It has started to burn oil and the fan now comes on very quickly whereas it used to take a long time in city driving. I have flushed the coolant system several times and had it checked by a local garage - everything looks fine as far as the cooling system goes.

I dont think the previous owners looked after this car. I have always changed the oil every 6,000 miles - Alfa say 12,000. I have just used normal non synthetic oil - I have no idea what type, I just picked up whatever oil was near to me at the time. I know this sounds dreadful but I thought all oil was the same. I now know differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back