diesel fuel as a coolant additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to a mechanic friend who works for a major US company. He was telling me that a cup of diesel fuel can be added to a radiator to clean out rust and lubricate the water pump. I was talking to another mechanic and he said that ATF can be added to coolant as well. I've heard an old timers trick was to dump a can of Coke in a radiator when changing the coolant. Anyone try any of these?

Coke would have phosphoric acid - good for a flush, though MB recommends citric acid (and MB is the only company Ive seen that can reliably build 25-year life radiators, so Ill take their recommendations).

The other stuff would likely form some sort of emulsion and just be nasty. I cannot imagine it to work well, it probably just shows up at some high point in the system as a second phase, or is beat into tiny drops that stay in solution but have questionable other characteristics...

You can... uh... relieve yourself... in the radiator to replace lost coolant too.

I'd be about as likely to do that as put anything but coolant in my cooling system.

The problem with adding hydrocarbons (diesel, ATF, other oils) is that they have a very low heat capacity and low thermal conductivity. They'd actually make the metal of the engine run much hotter by preventing efficient heat transfer to the coolant. Adding something like coke with all the sugars and carbs that would decompose into solid particles would be an even bigger problem.

Bad idea in every way imaginable.

Most repair manuals specifically tell you to take care NOT to get diesel on any rubber hoses. If you do, they say to get it off immediately and wash the hose with soap and water. Diesel Fuel will rot hoses not meant for fuel usage. Why not just use the popular radiator flushes? The science is proven, and "millions of users can't be wrong".

and in Red Dawn, they "urinated" in the radiator and that got them up the mountain away from the Russians & Cubans.

WOLVERINES !!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Coke would have phosphoric acid - good for a flush, though MB recommends citric acid (and MB is the only company Ive seen that can reliably build 25-year life radiators, so Ill take their recommendations).

Are we basically talking about lemon juice here?

Many years ago while working at USS Steel I had an old 36 Chevy beater to drive to work. I used 100% diesel as a coolant. Now THAT lubricated the water pump. Yeah, yeah yeah I know it was dangerous. So was getting drafted.. Regads. John--Las Vegas.

I redid a saturn with a cracked head that got oil in the coolant. All back together, I flushed it with water (and automatic dish soap) 8-10x and droplets of oil kept appearing. Worse, the hoses were "sweating" oil and a grimy mess of dissolved rubber and oil would come off on my hands when I touched them.

Changed the hoses and things got much better.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: defektes
diet coke, no need to add sugar to a radiator.
Good point!

Diet caffeine free too. No need to add caffeine to a radiator
lol.gif

In all seriousness putting oil or anything not designed to be a radiator flush in the cooling system, ranks up there in total fail with usuing scotch brite on the bearings.

The last time I had a cat diesel with a leaky oil cooler (under warranty) the cat tech cleaned the system with machine dishwasher detergent. Didn't foam, cut the oil, and smelled good.

Any oil will cook to an insulating crust on the hot parts of the engine. A truly stupid idea.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
and in Red Dawn, they "urinated" in the radiator and that got them up the mountain away from the Russians & Cubans.

WOLVERINES !!!

LOL, I remember that. The last issue I received of Popular Mechanics had some tips for emergency repairs and one was to add diet coke to the radiator if you do not have any water. Of course that is emergency only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back