Diesel “Expert” on Reddit claims 10k mile OCI with T6 will kill your engine!

I always did 10K oil changes on my V6 Toyotas and got over 200K with zero issues. I did a front valve cover gasket at 210K miles on my Camry engine was beyond clean. Aircraft jet engines have no oil change intervals FYI
Okay. And our jet engines have an interval along with periodic sampling.

Are we talking about Toyota V6 engines or jets here?

I always did 10K oil changes on my V6 Toyotas and got over 200K with zero issues. I did a front valve cover gasket at 210K miles on my Camry engine was beyond clean. Aircraft jet engines have no oil change intervals FYI
Turbine engine oil doesn't get combustion by products in the oil as do reciprocating engines get. So the oil lasts longer.

my dad has a Jetta TDI alh, 370,000 miles on rotella t6, about 6000 mile ocis. clean as a whistle inside.

I have had 3 VW ALH TDI cars in the past 10 years or so. Over 200k put on them combined with 10k oil changes on Rotella T6 at 10k intervals. The engines were spotless inside when the valve cover was removed for timing belt replacements. Sold one to a neighbor and it is still going at those intervals with that oil. It is almost to 300k the last time I looked in it. So in my case, that was fine, the oil wasn't even that dirty after 10k. Also easy to remember when it is due when you have multiple vehicles to service.

Reddit is mostly teenaged communists. Do you care what a teenage communist thinks about your oil change intervals?

Well, most of the major large subreddits are full of 20ish purple-haired community pillars of the democratic people’s republic of China. There are diesel only and car discussions that have normal people on them too.
That's stupid

funny what the internet has to say.. because the manufacturer specced oil drain interval on most of the modern diesel pickup trucks is right around the 15k mile mark.
Buddy hauls car with a Ram 3500, he has a new truck but the 2014 he just retired has 575,000 miles on it.. and that guy only uses T4 15w40 and Fleetguard filters, all changed at 15000 mile intervals

I bet that "diesel expert" would soil himself if he found out how diesel engines are treated in the terminal tractors at UPS. 100+ starts and stops a day per shift, floored right from cold start to build air, shut off while the engine is still decelerating a lot. Those things barely get an oil change, 3 maybe 4 times a year, which depending on how much one particular rig is used can be close to 700-800 hours of run time between oil changes. Never an engine problem out of those things, always something else. One ISB 5.9 had 40,000 hours on it when it was retired. That truck was beyond worn out junk, but the engine still ran great. I don't know what kind of oil is in the bulk tank in the shop, but it's most likely the cheap stuff knowing that company. I have seen 55-gallon drums of Mobil Delvac 1300 10w30 in the shop at times, so good chance it's that. Another thing that gets me are the people that let their diesel sit there and idle for a while before shutting them off like it will make a difference. Not sure how many thousands of times I've shut one of those down off idle and still heard the turbo spooling down after the engine stops rotating, but it's a lot. Just my experience of trying to beat the rods out of those diesels for a living.

exactly. spent my life in a municipal bus fleet. low bid oil in bulk..
yeah, it gets changed on a schedule every 6000 miles which might be 500 to 700 hours of operation
, but nobody worries about what brand.. or the filters. Or if they completely warmed up the engine before draining the oil
or if they got all of it or if they primed the oil filters etc . :)

exactly. spent my life in a municipal bus fleet. low bid oil in bulk..
yeah, it gets changed on a schedule every 6000 miles which might be 500 to 700 hours of operation
, but nobody worries about what brand.. or the filters. Or if they completely warmed up the engine before draining the oil
or if they got all of it or if they primed the oil filters etc . :)
I keep an eye on my mileage on the yard tractor I'm assigned. I've been driving it a little over 3 years since it showed up as a totally refurbished ottawa Y30, 5.9 12 valve cummins, between me and the night shift guy that drives it, we've put 32,000 miles on that thing driving it around a trailer yard and getting close to 7000 hours of run time. Engine still runs like day one and it rarely gets the oil changed. I'd never treat my own equipment like that, but it's never hurt anything there either.

I keep an eye on my mileage on the yard tractor I'm assigned. I've been driving it a little over 3 years since it showed up as a totally refurbished ottawa Y30, 5.9 12 valve cummins, between me and the night shift guy that drives it, we've put 32,000 miles on that thing driving it around a trailer yard and getting close to 7000 hours of run time. Engine still runs like day one and it rarely gets the oil changed. I'd never treat my own equipment like that, but it's never hurt anything there either.

I retired in 2019... got bored, started driving a school bus.. all of them whether BlueBird or Thomas(Freightliner) have the 6.7 Cummins ISB.. the school board only changes the oil in them once a year, in the summer, regardless of mileage. I had a new bus the previous school year, had 800 miles on it when I started driving it, had 23000 on it at the end of the school year. all on the factory oil and filter.

Back