Diesel car or SUV dead?

Diesel fuel is 50% more than regular gas. Diesel engines are sold at a premium also. You think any car maker will introduce diesel anything now beside the larger pickups?

I bet there's more than a few construction contractors waiting for some discounts on new diesel trucks though... These fuel prices won't stay like this forever. We've had a few guys over to do some quotes on work at my in-laws house, and they all show up with a loaded diesel truck. Probably only the masonry guys load a trailer up that much to need that much towing capacity? I don't know maybe they just lease them in warranty? They seem like a risk to own much longer than that...

Doubt it. Diesel has always been a bad choice for North American passenger cars.

Diesel is also dead in light duty and nearly dead in medium duty trucks. Personal truck sales and commercial truck sales of Diesel trucks are buyers buying them for reasons other than dollars and cents. Hate to say it but that market is now niche.

Really? Regular is 4.65 and diesel 5.40 here. 16%
Diesel has about 17% more BTU's per gallon and also diesel engines tend to get way more than 17% better gas mileage than their gasoline counter parts. Probably because it doesn't have as much hp and 0-60 is slower but you end up with better gas mileage.

The potential expense of out of warranty repairs, are one reason i did not buy a diesel truck.
The other reason I've always avoided Mercedes diesels is that very few people know how to fix them, when you encounter a problem, you get crickets for answers and if you're stuck going to dealer, it's going to cost a lot more.

Diesel is cheaper than petrol here, but diesel has no tax at the pump, it's paid separately...at varying rates, large trucks pay more etc. They have reduced petrol tax at the pump, and are now reducing the diesel tax...short term of course. But no one would buy a petrol ute...I don't even think they are available.

Interesting question.
If fuels climb more, a diesel hybrid econo to mid-sized anything may be on the horizon.
Cannot imagine the price, but the range would be worthy of North American travel distances.

Idk i like gasoline because it always starts in the winter, doesn’t smell, diesel pumps are always gross, and i can just start it and take off in the morning and get heat within a mile. It’s just convenient.

Diesel engines are about 20% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts, according to the UTI, and diesel engines are at least 20% more efficient in comparison to gasoline.

Unfortunately, they just never gained enough momentum in the United States, partially due to the General's F up with trying to convert a gasoline engine to diesel back in the day and screwing up royally. But considering Joe Average is about as intelligent as a hallow plastic broom handle, and will jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else to "keep up" with the neighbors, I doubt this'll ever change and the diesel market will remain as-is with the heavy-duty market and "bro dozers" being the primary buyers.

I'd say they've been dead since DPFs were required, unless you need a real heavy duty diesel to do some real work, then they're not worth the hassle, in a cold climate where everyone short trips their cars around town the dpf will plug and have to go into regen quite often wasting more fuel, and most people don't even understand regen so they'd prorbably just keep going until the dpf completely plugs and then they have to have it towed and someone will have to manually remove the dpf and bake it. Also diesels tend to require more oil and need regular fuel filter services, have additional DEF tanks that need filled. Even if there's theoretically more economy to a diesel I don't see where the downfalls are worth it over a gasser unless you need the raw torque of a big diesel for serious hauling. My cousin has one of those RAMs with the ecodiesel and I can't think of a single reason to buy one of those over a comparable gasser unless you just want to brag about owning a diesel, I think that's a good portion of people that buy diesels is just people that want to brag about it.

Diesel engines are about 20% more efficient than their gasoline counterparts, according to the UTI, and diesel engines are at least 20% more efficient in comparison to gasoline.

Unfortunately, they just never gained enough momentum in the United States, partially due to the General's F up with trying to convert a gasoline engine to diesel back in the day and screwing up royally. But considering Joe Average is about as intelligent as a hallow plastic broom handle, and will jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else to "keep up" with the neighbors, I doubt this'll ever change and the diesel market will remain as-is with the heavy-duty market and "bro dozers" being the primary buyers.
Diesel certainly has its place where torque, etc. is much needed, but that's about the only worthy use IMBHO. Being severe asthmatic I can't count how many times I've suffered the consequences of being behind some garbage smoke churning truck, then have to rush to put windows up/inside air on, that sort of thing. Not to mention the oily film that has been on my ride from sharing highways with the **** things. The mention of diesel cars is really hilarious as have you ever been stuck behind one trying to get 0-60 in under 1 minute?

Diesel certainly has its place where torque, etc. is much needed, but that's about the only worthy use IMBHO. Being severe asthmatic I can't count how many times I've suffered the consequences of being behind some garbage smoke churning truck, then have to rush to put windows up/inside air on, that sort of thing. Not to mention the oily film that has been on my ride from sharing highways with the **** things. The mention of diesel cars is really hilarious as have you ever been stuck behind one trying to get 0-60 in under 1 minute?
I've lived in the UK for 10 years, where most of the vehicles were diesel powered; primarily VAG products wearing Skoda badges as far as sedans go and actually drove one myself. I've seen those motors hit 450,000 miles in taxi service doing a lot of city driving, and they were still going until they were retired due to age. A lot of the London taxis were powered by Nissan diesels, and they also ran forever. Never had the issue with oily film on the highway from personal experience, however.

Diesel has about 17% more BTU's per gallon and also diesel engines tend to get way more than 17% better gas mileage than their gasoline counter parts. Probably because it doesn't have as much hp and 0-60 is slower but you end up with better gas mileage.

The other reason I've always avoided Mercedes diesels is that very few people know how to fix them, when you encounter a problem, you get crickets for answers and if you're stuck going to dealer, it's going to cost a lot more.

Higher thermal efficiency of the engine design (mostly due to compression) and no throttle valve to introduce throttle losses like a gas engine has except at WOT. Also running lower RPM which can reduce internal friction losses.

Diesel engines make more sense when fuel prices are high.

It is like looking in a crystal ball to tell the future, the lobbies and big money are currently pushing a different agenda, and that can change at any moment.

Back