diesel additive after fuel injector service?

Good morning,

I had the injector nozzles changed for new ones and had the injectors calibrated to factory spec in the past 3 months on a 1990 Toyota corolla 1.8 diesel sedan. would it be good to add a diesel fuel additive to the tank such as johnsen diesel fuel additive, or liquimoly diesel purge if i just had the fuel injectors serviced?

thanks

I'm not sure about a diesel purge just yet, but a good fuel additive can (and probably should) be used since it mainly helps add extra lubricity to the fuel pump. You've had the nozzles replaced but said nothing about the fuel pump, so I'll assume it's original.

I'd run a nice diesel additive with every fill-up. I'd do a purge maybe once every 40-50k miles at most, and typically right before an oil change.

What andregbs said. Fuel qualities will vary and just good preventative maintenance to throw a good fuel additive on a regulars basis.

i havent touched the fuel pump. the fuel injector service guy said that diesel pump should be serviced roughly every 75 k km. the car has 180 k km and i have had it for 10k km of its mileage, I assume the pump is in an original unserviced state. The pump service guy said that a fuel pump service included opening the pump and cleaning it and replacing seals. i wonder if this fuel pump service would equal an improvement in fuel efficiency.

Fuel pump lubricity, i have heard about throwing atf fluid in tank for that, what are the benefits of using diesel fuel additives to lubricate the fuel pump?

thanks

No ATF in the fuel!

If the pump is original and working well (no leaks, passes flow and pressure tests) I would not take it apart to replace any seals.

Extra lubricants in the fuel results in less wear on the pump internals, simply put. A good brand of additive will suffice.

How can ti be known if a fuel pump leaks?
where can i do a flow and pressure test on the fuel pump?

There would be wet spots around the pump, you'd smell fuel under the hood.

Fuel pumps can be flow tested by diesel service specialty shops.

Diesel purge isn’t meant to be used as a fuel additive. It is meant to be used straight on clean the pump and injectors with minimal dilution

liqui moly super diesel additive is what you would use from them

Do you have hot shot additives available? I would start with diesel extreme and then do EDT every fill up. I start using it in VW Passat TDI when I got it with 180k miles and it definitely quiet down the engine chatter a little.
I also use all sorts of oils in my fuel, atf, motor oil, two stroke oil goes, everything goes in the tank. Burns just fine and comes out of the pipe. I don't have EGR anymore. Kind of bad for you catalytic converter but I'll get rid of that once I plug it up.

Back