Diesel 5w-40 Oil vs Euro Diesel 5w-40

Am I able to run say Amsoil Diesel 5w-40 oil in the Wrangler 3.0 EcoDiesel instead of the Euro based diesel oil. I’m not an expert so please explain in laymen terms.

Engine Oil
Change Engine Oil — Diesel Engine
Refer to "Scheduled Servicing" in this chapter for the proper maintenance intervals.
Diesel Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of FCA Material Stan- dard MS-12991, and that are API SN certified and meet the requirements of FCA LLC.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.0L Diesel Engine
CAUTION!
*Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced technology Diesel Engine and an emission device designed to limit Diesel Particulate Emissions from being released into the atmosphere. The durability of your engine and life expectancy of this diesel particulate filter emission device is highly dependent on the use of the correct engine oil.*

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required
API SN engine oil category is required.

But Pennzoil platinum euro in 5w40 is full saps oil....

I would go with mobil1 ESP 5w30 (vw 504/507...MB 229.51 BMW LL-04)....those specs are more advanced then API alone...

API SN engine oil category is required.
The thing I don’t understand is I did a search on Amsoil for a 2020 Jeep Cherokee with the same engine I have in my Jeep Wrangler and and Amsoil says to use the Signature Series 5w-40 Diesel oil and when I look I’m my Jeep Amsoil doesn’t have an oil recommendation. It’s the same engine.

Here you go. Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 MS-12991.

B4C35536-CA29-4D2E-B7C7-5C8E35762617.jpg

I'd use a CK-4 rated Diesel Oil in either a 5w40 or 15w40 depending on whether or not you need a lower cold starting viscosity.

So YES, you can use the Amsoil Diesel 5w40.

Here's the UOA's from my 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel:

Attachments

• 20200605_131147.jpg
    20200605_131147.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 193
Mobil1 ESP 5w30....

xW40 DPF friendly oils are like unicorns.....you can count them on fingers of one hand...and they CANT be in VW 504/507 since that spec is only in sae30.

Castrol magnatec C3 5w40....Castrol (have to look at the service papers of previous owner...dunno its flavour)...... Repsol elite 5w40....

Mobil1 ESP 5w30....

xW40 DPF friendly oils are like unicorns.....you can count them on fingers of one hand...and they CANT be in VW 504/507 since that spec is only in sae30.

Castrol magnatec C3 5w40....Castrol (have to look at the service papers of previous owner...dunno its flavour)...... Repsol elite 5w40....
How many fingers do you have on your hands?

Last edited:
How many fingers do you have on your hands?
Only 10...but you are reading post #16 here:

But in reality you should pay more attention at post #18...

. Also the Cam 2 oil listed says not for DPF filters .

API SN doesnt suffice for DPFs.....nor that ilusive MS-12991 which is stamped on all full saps oils...

So why does FCA say it is required? They want your DPF to fail?
DPF will not fail during warranty. FCA had big issues with bearings on that engine. ACEA A3 oils are band aid.
They want your engine to survive until warranty ends. If FCA did business differently they would not go through bankruptcies, government hand outs etc.
Use ACEA C3 oils! New Motul X-Clean Gen2 looks extremely stout and good fit for that engine.

The Penzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 uses the verbiage "meets or exceeds" so how do you verify it's certified for MS-12991?

MS-12991 isn't a certification, it's a material standard. "Meets or exceeds" is actually correct language for that so you have to go by the reputation of the blender or manufacturer that they are telling the truth.

Back