DieHard brand sold to AAP for $200 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't AAP recently try to switch from Autocraft to Interstate and then cancel that?

Interesting they'd go for DieHard now.

Do AutoCraft batteries have a bad reputation or something? I've never heard anything bad about it, although they are pretty rare out here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
Do AutoCraft batteries have a bad reputation or something? I've never heard anything bad about it, although they are pretty rare out here.

I just had to pull one out of the Fusion that was less than 4 years old. It started the car fine... but it had a reserve capacity that must have been in the single digits.

Leave the door open with the dome light on for 15 minutes, and the car wouldn't start.

that, plus "Autocraft" had to brand recognition outside of gearheads. "DieHard" has solid brand recognition; as does (or maybe did) "Kenmore"

It doesn't surprise me that they are trying to cash out selling anything they can before they are entirely out of business.

Wonder how much the folks that did that deal will pay themselves in bonuses, for a "job well done"?

I wouldn't have paid 200 million for a name that has not been heavily promoted in years. Maybe that's chump change to AAP.

Have used a lot of Auto Craft batteries since they are available so cheaply using on line codes. Most have been good, one failed in only a year but was replaced free. Don't expect anything more than the typical 4-5 years out of them though.

I had a Duralast that was at least 8 years old in my Jeep, showed no signs of fading I replaced it simply as a preventative measure due to age. Don't know who made that one, Johnson maybe?

AAP tried to get Interstate Batteries awhile ago, fell though. I think much of it because many Interstate sold through small independent retailers and distributors.

Looks like they found another name brand to acquire instead.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

I just had to pull one out of the Fusion that was less than 4 years old. It started the car fine... but it had a reserve capacity that must have been in the single digits.

Leave the door open with the dome light on for 15 minutes, and the car wouldn't start.

Sounds like all 3 of my OEM subaru batteries at about 1 year old.

They started out under 400cca, and in less than 2 years would be under 250cca

Originally Posted by Trav
Well that's the end of that, another good one gone down the friggin tubes.

Yep, just like Craftsman. If there is any truth to Ace or Lowes not warrantying Craftsman tools bought at Sears I will never buy anything from Craftsman again.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I wouldn't have paid 200 million for a name that has not been heavily promoted in years. Maybe that's chump change to AAP.

Have used a lot of Auto Craft batteries since they are available so cheaply using on line codes. Most have been good, one failed in only a year but was replaced free. Don't expect anything more than the typical 4-5 years out of them though.

I had a Duralast that was at least 8 years old in my Jeep, showed no signs of fading I replaced it simply as a preventative measure due to age. Don't know who made that one, Johnson maybe?

I am surprised anybody would pay big bucks for any name/trademark that was affiliated with Sears...

Most Diehards are made by Johnson Controls, except for the Diehard Platinum which is a Enersys / Odyssey line. I got this info from a couple of sources, including WIkipedia. The Diehard lineup has bounced from various manufacturers over the years so make sure you are looking at recent info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DieHard_(brand)

Sears also tried selling DieHard tires. That was a marketing stretch even by their standards.

...Do AutoCraft batteries have a bad reputation or something? I've never heard anything bad about it, although they are pretty rare out here.
I don't how they are now. However, last two I purchased and Gold Group 24 and Silver Group 35 lasted 5 and 7 years respectively. Not bad considering summer heat and the Gold battery ungaraged in summer sun. JCI now Clarios has fallen out of favor for several reasons that can be found with a search.

Main reason I purchased AC was AAP used to have online 40-50% off using online codes. Those days are gone now, and for my applications, Everstart Maxx looking like best value with price and warranty. So, unless something major happens cost wise AAP acquiring the Die Hard name, make no difference to me.

Interstate at Costco, DieHard is now an AAP brand, JCI is now third world product. Meh.

I'll stick with East penn or Exide until they mess up too. The whole Exide thing is overblown, IMO.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Any word how Advance will deal with warranties on Diehard batteries bought at Sears or KMart?

Receipt required and/or a subtly new label.

Didn't AAP recently try to switch from Autocraft to Interstate and then cancel that?

Interesting they'd go for DieHard now.

I used to put AAP/JCI batteries in everything, including WM EverStart Maxx, Interstate, AutoCraft, & AZ Duralast-but I had a couple of them leak, one Valucraft Gold one could have been a catastrophe if I hadn't noticed it destroying the front of my xB. And no one wanted to warranty the JCI leakers, so they're on the "naughty list"! East Penn in everything now, and I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE SPECK OF CORROSION ANYWHERE with one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back