Didn't have any 10W30 for the Kohler, so...

I put one qt. of 5W30 and one qt. of 15W40 in. Yes, they were different brands, too laugh. Kohler 18HP on my 2005 Simplicity lawn tractor. Finished it off with a WIX 51348 filter. Comments on the mix?

Last edited:
Your engine will seize before you finish cutting the grass. Seriously, considering that most people either never change the oil (just do top-ups) or use off-brand or possibly unsuitable oils, I think your engine will last a good long time on your mix.

Should be fine. I like to run 0W30 Castrol with the same filter in my Kohler. Most of the small engine oils sold by Kohler etc. are SJ. And I believe they are non-resource conserving as well. My translation (which could be wrong)- the preferred oils for these air cooled engines are not low HTHS and contain higher percentages of certain anti-wear additives than are allowed in most of the xW30 oils currently marketed in the US.

stevejones

Well, it made it through one mow so far - still running! The 5W30 was Chevron & 15W40 was Delo...I'll change it again this time next year....maybe. I keep hoping the Simplicity will blow up so I can get a Deere!...lol...

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Well, it made it through one mow so far - still running! I keep hoping the Simplicity will blow up so I can get a Deere!...lol...
That can be arranged. Where do you live?

I have run Rotella 15w-40 in my Kohler for this whole grass cutting season. It seems ok, just starting to get dark colored. I run the over sized filter. I dont think the Kohler cares a whole lot.