Did your moms buy new cars this week? Mine did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom: 2015 Subaru Forester (I doubt she got the turbo but unknown)
Mother-in-law: 2013 Infiniti G37 (this is a 2013 made in 2014 before they started making the Q's). It's brand new and she basically stole it.

Do the 2015's still have HG issues? Anything I need to know on Subaru's as we've never had one in the family. I think these can use 5w20 on the non-turbo versions. If this is the case I may go with M1 0w20.

On the Infiniti, I plan on using PP 5w30 for 5k runs as those VQ's are tough on oil it appears.

I think they are too new to have HG issues, but HG issues seemed to have slowed down for subaru. The big thing is oil consumption.

I've done a lot of research on Subaru lately. The head gasket issues should be in the past, but as mentioned, oil consumption may occur so keep an eye on the level.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I've done a lot of research on Subaru lately. The head gasket issues should be in the past, but as mentioned, oil consumption may occur so keep an eye on the level.

They also seem to come from the selling dealer overfilled with oil by .5 to 1" on the dipstick.

some oil use is normal during breakin.

I wouldnt worry about any oil use until after 1st oil change unless its sucking down quarts of oil.

The oil control ring issue was mostly fixed by 2014.

If you do get a dud that uses more than 10.5oz/1000mi (about 1qt/3000) they are doing new short blocks now.. as the ring job fix wasnt always 100% successful.

There are plenty of 2011's with near 100k miles on them now.. HG's seem to be holding up.

Last edited:
My parents just picked up their 2015 Outback 2.5i (base model). They really like it but the tech is confusing them a bit.

They came from a trouble free 2000 Forester/175k that they will likely park in field behind house and leave for us kids to use. My siblings are thankful we all own cars approaching 200k miles old so mechanics visits are normal thing.

One thing that amazes me is the 2015 Outback (car) is actually slightly taller then a 2000 forester.

Valvoline 0w20 worked well on our last FB25 - we are on our SECOND forester with the new engine and haven't done an OC on it yet.a
. Absolutely use the Roki OE filter with a P base gasket then Valvoline 0w20 was my choice for the last unit. Liked it much better than M1 and a bit better than QSUD or PU which were all tried for a couple OC. Valvoline was the only one that quelled TCT sticking on the 2011 and kept the engine clean (from what I could see asd lack of varnish around the VVT housing down the fill hole). The new design is a foctor of 10 improved over the other OMO, though more than a bit stiff riding with the Yoko Geos.

Originally Posted By: beadvised
I support the MOMS!

Yeah!

Pics of mom
's new car?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I support the MOMS!

Yeah!

Pics of mom
's new car?
smile.gif

My mom's is the burgundy 2015 Forester. It's the stripped down model as she doesn't want all kinds of electronics in it. She specifically said the Ford Escape was way too complicated.

My MIL's G37 is Black with charcoal interior and is probably loaded with everything.

I haven't seen either in the flesh yet.

Even the base unit has rear view camera and complex color DIC TFT display with steering mounted controls. The heater knob markings are not good though.

Reminds me of that old Steve Martin line. He does a lot of work with single moms, helping them get their start, or something like that.

I'm sure there is a youtube of it somewhere.

I support the MOMS!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Even the base unit has rear view camera and complex color DIC TFT display with steering mounted controls. The heater knob markings are not good though.

you look at the heater knobs?

They are perfect to use by feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back