Did you marry your long lost cousin?

Funny story, a guy (from Arkansas) I went through school of infantry with lost his v card to his cousin, at a family gathering, in a cornfield. He was pretty dead serious about it too.

My Ex and I both have bright blue eyes, and she was shady...ended up getting split due to her openly cheating on me. Anyways, I remember before our child was born explaining that our new baby girl was going to have blue eyes guaranteed as blue is a recessive trait, and if we both had blue eyes, our offspring must have blue eyes. I remember the look of horror and confusion on her face, but I didn't understand at the time. She was born with blue eyes, and still has them, but I'll never forget that conversation based on what I now know.
That was on an episode of House. Or something similar. House knew the husband was not the father of some of his kids through eye color.

My kids, wife, ex wife, and I all have hazel/green eyes. My father had blue eyes and my mother had brown eyes.

your parents are identical twins who married identical twins? Or is it one of your parents are identical twins?
Bingo! My mom and my aunt were identical twins. They looked and acted alike their entire lives. Even in their '80s they'd get looks because they looked so identical. Both of them were college graduates too; rare for women of that generation. Bowling Green University in Ohio. My Mom is on the left.

Scott

IMG_5869.jpeg

The closest I got was finding a girl highly attractive only to find out ~10 years later that her grandma and my grandma are 1st cousins. No idea what that makes us, but I didn’t marry her either.

It’s pretty laughable.

My mom has green eyes, my dad and my 2 siblings have blue, I somehow managed to have hazel eyes. My wife has blue eyes, as do my 4 sons and thus I remain the anomaly.
The genetics of eye color is actually pretty complicated. There are something like 20 different eye colors and not just brown, green, and blue.

My wife has brown eyes, I have green eyes, and our kids have blue eyes with blonde hair pale skin, green eyes with light brown hair darker skin, and brown eyes with dark dark brown hair and the kid looks like he should be in southern Italy growing grapes.

This gives me pause: it stated something as a fact, but did it have supporting data? or just state it as fact,
Agreed! Wolves generally have yellow-ish eyes, but when bred into dogs, many have blue eyes. I'm quite certain this did not happen just once. Maybe more convincingly, many breeds can have blue eyes, and do not have the same genetic ancestors.

portrait-of-siberian-husky-on-snow-covered-field-1321125441-caba351f6be24932af51c65e1fbb28d9.jpg

Bingo! My mom and my aunt were identical twins. They looked and acted alike their entire lives. Even in their '80s they'd get looks because they looked so identical. Both of them were college graduates too; rare for women of that generation. Bowling Green University in Ohio. My Mom is on the left.

Scott

View attachment 135099
Are you really sure she is on the left, and not on the right? :p

• Haha
Reactions: GON
My sister and her husband did the ancestry.com thing and discovered that they are 8th cousins. Funny thing is we were born in NY and he was born in CA.

My sister and her husband did the ancestry.com thing and discovered that they are 8th cousins. Funny thing is we were born in NY and he was born in CA.
8th cousins? Nearly a guess at that point, so little shared genetics. Being born in different states should not be surprising, and their kids should have no worries, I mean about - well like some of the problems, say royal families have :D

Are you really sure she is on the left, and not on the right? :p
Haha. They were so identical my Mom was always placed on picture left just to avoid confusion.

Funny story. My Dad originally asked my Aunt out for a date but she already had a boyfriend. So, she suggested he go out with her twin sister instead.

To add to my previous comment about how identical they were, they used to finish each other's sentences with an uncanny seamless transition. It was really bizarre. My Dad and Uncle would never recommend marrying twins. Twins are always the number one person in each other's lives. My Dad and Uncle were loved but they were always a distant second place to "the twins".

I have three cousins and we all share many similarities (I'm an only child). But my youngest cousin, Beth; she and I could pass for maternal twins in both looks and temperament. In fact, we are so similar there is a family "joke" amoungst us cousins that there was a twin sister swap one night and Beth and I are actually brother and sister. With the advent of genetic testing Beth and I have flirted with the idea of testing ourselves. Both sets of parents have passed so it would avoid embarrassing them, but Beth and I have decided it's not something we really want to know.

Here's the two of them at an even earlier date. I miss them!

Scott

IMG_5868.jpeg

Last edited:
That's gotta be a LOUD household when both sides get together.

What did you say?.......LOL

It actually is pretty loud. My mom is 84 and a leg amputee (she can still beat most men at arm wrestling though) and we were looking for a nice place where the whole family, including my SIL's side, could have Thanksgiving. We settled on Wright's Chicken Farm in Rhode Island, which is also an old favorite of mine growing up. It was nice getting together, but man we were LOUD. LOL!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
Back