did you ever start your engine while its running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 good Nissan pathfinder and I have done this stupid mistake twice in 8 years of owning it , its so quiet , and I turned the key while its running, the strangest thing I noticed , most old cars and trucks grind the starter gear loud, not this baby it sounds like it kills the starter in a micro second and then shuts off the engine , any body ever notice this on some cars or truck, ?

Last edited:
Everybody does that once or twice along the way.

As long as one doesn't make a habit of it, no harm usually results.

You are correct in that many of the newer ones won't even engage the starter once the engine is running. I guess they really are idiot-proofed now.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Everybody does that once or twice along the way.

It happens, just don't make a habit of it.

I've done it a few times. Never on anything new enough to do what you describe, though.

I also shifted a 3-speed into 4th gear one time.

We tried to sell my sister's 1994 Firebird Formula before and when folks were testing it out, they tried to start it while it was already started and the starter shattered underneath the car. I've done it in my Acura once, but it didn't hurt anything.

I would think modern vehicles would disable the starter relay when the engine was already running.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would think modern vehicles would disable the starter relay when the engine was already running.

I don't think this was the norm until the past decade or two.

Plenty of mid 90s cars ( I own a 94 Accord and 96 Golf) will allow the starter to engage when the engine is running.
Of course doing this once in a blue moon isn't going to cause any problems likely, but morons that do this weekly or so are going to destroy the starter, gears, and possibly engine damage.

My new Mustang has a PCM controlled starter. You just tap the key to "start" and release and it does it automatically. If the engine is running it will not let the starter engage. Also being a proper 3 pedal car, there is the clutch interrupt switch also.

My Dad's old 1962 Rambler American had a straight six with an idle so smooth that if you were at a stoplight or at a stop sign you would swear the engine had stopped running. I tried to start it one time when it was running.

I miss the old straight six engines. Many of them were very, very smooth running. Another engine that was supposed to be very smooth was the sixteen cylinder Caddy of many years ago.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
My Dad's old 1962 Rambler American had a straight six with an idle so smooth that if you were at a stoplight or at a stop sign you would swear the engine had stopped running. I tried to start it one time when it was running.

I miss the old straight six engines. Many of them were very, very smooth running. Another engine that was supposed to be very smooth was the sixteen cylinder Caddy of many years ago.

Inline six engines are smooth, but I don't remember the physics which enabled such smoothness. When Nissan put a V-6 engine in the 2008 GT-R, it really bothered me.

I made the mistake of turning the key while an engine was still on. You are right about inline sixes, GM made sure to add a device that prevented the starter from being activated on their 4.2L DOHC inline 6.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
We tried to sell my sister's 1994 Firebird Formula before and when folks were testing it out, they tried to start it while it was already started and the starter shattered underneath the car. I've done it in my Acura once, but it didn't hurt anything.

What happened with the firebird shoppers? Did they end up buying a new starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back