Did they use the wrong oil? "Type 4" instead of "world standard".

I just found out that I am driving the last 18k miles with type 4 in stead of world standard oil. My transmission needs world standard but the dealer flushed it with type 4.

They also included transmissionflush and they added a conditioner. I made some pics of the flush brand. Ill try to upload them later on today.

The car only had 60k miles. The transmission was working perfectly. Was a flush necessarily?

The fluid which came out was pretty dark by the way. Pictures of that will follow.

Car: Lexus LS430 6 speed 2004

Rock Auto lists T-IV for your 2004 Lexus 430....I'm not even sure WS existed in 2004.....I think your car will be fine with the T-IV....

WS existed in 2004 as it is the fill for my prius. This would be the fluid that is prescribed almost everywhere.

To the OP: Having a transmission service @60K is wise; Nice car by the way.

Yes....I now see that WS came about in 2002....I still believe you did no harm using T-IV for the past 18K miles....especially if it's been shifting well since the change. I'd use Valvoline Maxlife next change... if you have access to it ...since WS is reputed to be nothing special.

It's either the tech misspoke and said Type 4 but really meant T-IV, or he put the wrong fluid in. Type 4 is for Chrysler and some Hyundai's and Kias, I think.

WS was created to give less resistance and thereby (supposedly) give better mileage, you'll be fine with T-IV. The Fortron additive was not needed, but probably will not do any harm, Nice to see that it was done with a proper machine to ensure that the whole fluid was exchanged!

Back