Did the Tough Guard recently change?

In my wife's Jeep with the 3.6 I have mostly been using Napa Golds and Tough Guards for a normal OCI of about 7-7.5k.

I noticed recently the TG has been updated to have a 15k mile rating. I currently have a TG in the Jeep but the packaging is older and it does not have the 15k rating on the package (I still have the old package with the old filter in it). I think I am going to start using TG's for two OCI, I'm wondering if the one currently in the vehicle is still good for another OCI or if I should start fresh with a new one with 15k on the packaging? I'm not sure if it's just a rating thing or if the filter actually changed...

Thanks

I noticed recently the TG has been updated to have a 15k mile rating.
interesting I didn't know.

I use the Fram Ultra for 40k OCI since my engine rebuilding days, now they are not wire-backed anymore like before, but that seems to only affect the can filter and not cartridges, my current vehicles use cartridges, I will continue to use them for 40K OCI unless a downgrade happens later.

"Rating" doesn't mean anything without reputable test data. People seem to have a difficult time understanding this but they sure are swayed by marketing.

"Rating" doesn't mean anything without reputable test data

No kidding

Clearly they have tested the filter to maintain proper filtration and have enough dirt capacity to safely work for 15k in the vast majority of applications. My question is whether or not they actually changed the media or not.

If the box isn't warrantied for 15k, I wouldn't use it 15k.

I tend to agree

They used to be 10K rated and people ran them double or more, but I would start off with a fresh one and then
double oci.

Leaning this direction

interesting I didn't know.

I use the Fram Ultra for 40k OCI since my engine rebuilding days, now they are not wire-backed anymore like before, but that seems to only affect the can filter and not cartridges, my current vehicles use cartridges, I will continue to use them for 40K OCI unless a downgrade happens later.
40K must be a new record. Did you ever post photos of one after being used for 40K miles (I don't recall seeing any).

40K must be a new record. Did you ever post photos of one after being used for 40K miles (I don't recall seeing any).
I can once I remove the current ones I have installed, they are cartridges, I would have to look into on how to do that without compromising it.

Clearly they have tested the filter to maintain proper filtration and have enough dirt capacity to safely work for 15k in the vast majority of applications. My question is whether or not they actually changed the media or not.

I'm a regular Ultra user and I have used TG in the past with the results expected. Can you please elaborate on the testing you site? Is it on the FRAM website? Independent lab? Where is it coming from. That does make a difference.

I'm a regular Ultra user and I have used TG in the past with the results expected. Can you please elaborate on the testing you site? Is it on the FRAM website? Independent lab? Where is it coming from. That does make a difference.
Fram has their own testing lab (seen in many YouTube videos) and follows ISO 4548-12.

The TG went to a 15,000 mile rating quite a while back, same time the Ultra went to 20,000 and the Orange can went to 10,000.
Nothing changed internally, just Fram doing more testing and found that they can filter for a lot longer than originally marketed for, so they have upped the mileage on the box.

The TG went to a 15,000 mile rating quite a while back, same time the Ultra went to 20,000 and the Orange can went to 10,000.
Nothing changed internally, just Fram doing more testing and found that they can filter for a lot longer than originally marketed for, so they have upped the mileage on the box.

That's what I figured, thanks.

I think I will still change the current one to a new TG on the next OCI and then go double from there. It will work nicely because the Jeep takes 5.5L and the oil jugs up here are 5L, so I can buy two jugs, one filter, and then the second change isn't quite as much drained out and it should work out just about perfect. Always having to buy that extra 1L is annoying.

What is a defect in material or manufacturing?
How do miles equate to grams of dirt? There needs to be another factor, the dirt generated per mile, or miles really means nothing.
The proof miles mean nothing is they say UP TO the number of miles. If there is a worn engine and the filter clogs in 1000 miles, too bad, no defect in the filter.

Can't rate oil filters for the over 2 sigma outlier vehicles on the road that aren't maintained properly. The "up to xxK" miles is for the 0 to 2 sigma (95%) of vehicles on the road.

Back