Did the math on selling lease car to the dealer

Buying, leasing, taking the bus, only using uber, its a personal choice that people should make based on their own situation, wants and needs. Personally I am a auto enthusiast who likes to own my stuff.

I think in the distant future, some subscription like service with EV will become popular in the major blue cities, something like a combination of leasing and uber but run by the OEM's. Own nothing, pay x a month, fleet of rotating vehicles serving a single locale that is delivered to your door with self driving. SUV when you want the space, compact for the solo commute. Tech bro wizardry so battery levels and charging is always optimized for your scheduled vehicle. Only roadblock is that urbanites also love to flaunt wealth, the draw of having "your" fancy car vs being subscribed to something might be too great.

I mean, there’s something to be said about that concept. It would be the logical extension of those zipcar type,sharing services… only with more options and better scheduling. Would make sense for airport and car rental as well.

Problem is that the premiums to use it would probably be obnoxious, even with the autonomous options taking so much labor out of the equation.

I mean, there’s something to be said about that concept. It would be the logical extension of those zipcar type,sharing services… only with more options and better scheduling. Would make sense for airport and car rental as well.

Problem is that the premiums to use it would probably be obnoxious, even with the autonomous options taking so much labor out of the equation.
Here's a real world example.

Here's a real world example.

But look at how ridiculous that is.

It was in Nashville where people would more than likely not be interested in doing that. It’s not that huge of a city and too reliant on regular car use.

It started at $2k/month. Month. Seriously? That’s $1500 more than a car payment.

Do it in NYC or Chicago for $350/month or as needed and I bet it will be much better deployed.

But look at how ridiculous that is.

It was in Nashville where people would more than likely not be interested in doing that. It’s not that huge of a city and too reliant on regular car use.

It started at $2k/month. Month. Seriously? That’s $1500 more than a car payment.

Do it in NYC or Chicago for $350/month or as needed and I bet it will be much better deployed.
Yep. Crazy but can you imagine the cost of keeping the vehicles in clean comdition?

Back