Did the Japanese use the wrong oil in testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allegedly some Japanese cars and vans have engines that are prone to sludge build-up. Is it possible that the Japanese were testing those engines in Japan, using locally available Japanese motor oil, and felt that they could safely push the envelope? But they may have been unprepared for the American motor oils. The American motor oils were unable to survive in the increased heat and formed sludge.

Maybe the Japanese should import some American conventional motor oil to use when they test new engines. And maybe the Europeans should do the same thing. Put some of that ol' American dino juice in and discover that, for America, they can't push the limits.

That's an interesting and possibly quite valid angle.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
You're making the assumption that Japanese motor oils are superior to American motor oils. Are they? Why?

I doubt it. Remember, ILSAC (the body behind GF-2, GF-3, and the upcoming GF-4) is comprosied of members from the US and Japanese auto makers.

gnaw...this also assumes the Japanese are less prone to errors than other humans...

Anyone know about some other Toyota goofs? Front seals, accesory belt tenioners, etc...

I think they tested the engine but forgot to analyze the oil
blush.gif

Any NUMI guys hang here?

I know that Japan uses extended drains. Remember that Japan has 0 natrual resources. Petrolem products are horrable expensive!!! I would seriously doubt that anything other then synthetic is in use. They also have the most strict emmision laws on the planet. You know I was a tech.'s for Toyota and did not see a big problem with front main seals at the OEM level. I normaly saw a problem with rear main seals. The steel ring on the rear main will slowly eat into the rear of the crank. Buy 120,000-180,000 you develop a leak at the rear main. It is so common on the 4 cylinders that they make a copper crank saver busching to put over this to stop the leak and save the crank. The same goes for the thrust bearing 180,000-200,000 if a Toyota engine has been abused or worked hard it will start to nock. Most misinterpet this as rod nock but it is reallly the crank thrusting fore and aft! The part to fix are only $10-$15 but labor will set you back about $200-$300. Pablo whick Toyota engines have the front seal leak?? Is it by chance the old 3.0V6?????

Hey man, you can't knock Toyotas. They are the industry leader in quality. The toped the list again in JD powers. Problems per 100 cars.

1 Toyota 115
2 Honda 126
3 GM 136
4 Chrysler
5 Ford
6 JunkVagens
grin.gif

While I think Toyota engines are the main problem with the sludge issue, I also think there are many stupid people out there that don't change the oil often enough and or use low quality oil which doesn't help matters.

[ June 01, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Sure you can. You can knock all manufacturers for the occasional goof-up.
tongue.gif

I think there is a lot less quality difference between car makes that we tend to believe. Owner maintenance plays a big part in the equation too.

quote:

Sure you can. You can knock all manufacturers for the occasional goof-up.

I think there is a lot less quality difference between car makes that we tend to believe. Owner maintenance plays a big part in the equation too.

I was just joking. I agree, the quality gap has shrunk. All cars seem to be of fairly good quality today. I'm partial to Toyota bc the last two cars I've owned were Toyota. My last one had 300k miles on it. Didn't take care of it either. Car was so d@mn tough.

[ June 01, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Let's get back to the question here. I think that engine oil is still a way to allow for gradual but continued and monitored engine wear so that a customer will be ensured engine/entire car replacement. When oil problems happen, and we've seen a lot...manufacturers laugh...be it, BMW, Toyota, Dodge, etc.. Why? Unless it's a real problem, they do a temp. fix and move on...people, they're in the business of selling cars!

Granted, as far as engine oils are concerned in N.A. we use 5-30 and 10-30. All lubricants will lubricate, so until there's a problem....that's what they spec.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back