Did RGT change from GF5 to GF6?

I couldn't see any other threads on this, but i noticed on Shell's site, that it's listed as GF6, whereas on the bottle pictures on Amazon and the original Q&A, it's a GF5 oil.

Anyone know about this or further details?
I'm interested in running the 5w20 for my 5.0 Coyote engine.

A related thread on buying specific oils on Amazon:

A related thread on buying specific oils on Amazon:

Similar yes, though the OP apparently forgot to mention in the post that he ordered GF6 and received GF5, and caught a ton of flack for it...

Anyway, i hadn't realised the approval was so recent, as i'm looking for justification to use the 5w20 in the engine instead of the updated 5w30 they spec for it in Australia, i guess that's why i'm looking into this "truck" spec oil and whether a GF6 version will be any better in that regard.

Why would the specification affect your choice of grade? That’s not how it works.
No, sorry, i know what i wrote was a little confusing in that respect - it was more a case as to whether the new spec added more wear resistance and/or anything related to protection despite running a thinner oil (20 Vs 30)

No, sorry, i know what i wrote was a little confusing in that respect - it was more a case as to whether the new spec added more wear resistance and/or anything related to protection despite running a thinner oil (20 Vs 30)

Get a grip on yourself, MaXX

If they spec 5w30 for where you are then why not just go with that?
I'm in the USA, and even in the UK the 5.0 engine is spec'd with 5w20, which is a little odd - whilst it was designed/built with 5w20 in mind (unlike a bunch of Ford's earlier engines that suddenly changed oil spec requirements)

Anyway, the argument would be that it's for the CAFE standards and is it better to run a 5w30, ie. something with a little more protection at higher temperatures (you know, towing etc.)

I saw the 5.0 V8 engine release in the international Mustang is what's asking for 5w20, even in Australia, yet the third revision of the owners manual there (for the 2015 model release) now reads for a 5w30 oil instead, so they seem to have revised it there, not sure how/why it would/wouldn't affect what we run here in the states (outside of CAFE standards)

What gave you that impression? :D

I'm just being worried/paranoid about using an oil that won't protect my engine in it's older age and higher mileage state (how most of my stuff is) as well as it could do. I'm sure 5w20 will work, but if under certain conditions (lots of idling, towing/hauling or running in very high temps) the 20 just isn't up to protection as good as the 30 might be, that's where my mind is at.

Having done some cursory investigation into the SRGT oil, it seems people like it and it lasts well, at least if i get that in 5w20, it seems a little more viscous than some other 20's and the additive package is supposed to be more appropriate for a larger engine that's under more load (heavier vehicle/hauling/towing)

Similar yes, though the OP apparently forgot to mention in the post that he ordered GF6 and received GF5, and caught a ton of flack for it...

I didn't forget to mention it. It's well understood that they still sell Old stock when they ad new one.
Plus most people don't see past their nose these days.
Don't trust Amazon pics. They show something and you end up getting something else

What gave you that impression? :D

I'm just being worried/paranoid about using an oil that won't protect my engine in it's older age and higher mileage state (how most of my stuff is) as well as it could do. I'm sure 5w20 will work, but if under certain conditions (lots of idling, towing/hauling or running in very high temps) the 20 just isn't up to protection as good as the 30 might be, that's where my mind is at.

Having done some cursory investigation into the SRGT oil, it seems people like it and it lasts well, at least if i get that in 5w20, it seems a little more viscous than some other 20's and the additive package is supposed to be more appropriate for a larger engine that's under more load (heavier vehicle/hauling/towing)

Good luck.

I didn't forget to mention it. It's well understood that they still sell Old stock when they ad new one.
Plus most people don't see past their nose these days.
Don't trust Amazon pics. They show something and you end up getting something else
To be clear, i meant you forgot to mention it in the original post.

Anyway, the argument would be that it's for the CAFE standards and is it better to run a 5w30, ie. something with a little more protection at higher temperatures (you know, towing etc.)
Protection always comes from a higher MOFT and you get that primarily through viscosity. Regardless of anything else you want to keep metal parts separated and you do that through the grade. If you want "protection" then use a higher grade.

So in the end who will you believe? Shell or a picture on Amazon?

Trust but verify.
This was the verify, and from other places, and since discovering it's a very newly ratified standard, it seems fairly obvious it's old stock, on top of the fact that SOPUS seems to have "essentially" already got their products conforming to the standard, just weren't allowed to use the logo until now.

Protection always comes from a higher MOFT and you get that primarily through viscosity. Regardless of anything else you want to keep metal parts separated and you do that through the grade. If you want "protection" then use a higher grade.
And by grade, you're talking, how far up the synthetic ladder it sits?

Back