Did QuikTrip lose its Top Tier rating?

Today I got in my car to find that I was low on fuel. With that discovery, I added a stop at QuikTrip to the day's itinerary. Good ol' reliable Top Tier Quiktrip fuel. Except, while filling, I noticed that all mentions of Top Tier on the pump were covered with black tape. I glanced around to find that every pump was altered in the same way. With QT being one of the first retailers to get the TT rating, this came as a surprise.

QuikTrip still appears (twice) on the official list of Top Tier retailers, so this must be a recent development (or a fluke). Has anyone else seen/heard anything?

No, but could something local be up with that particular store? Possibly.

No, but could something local be up with that particular store? Possibly.
Could be - maybe changing brands soon?

A couple of the Speedways near Mom's house converted over to Exxon. No real announcement about that change, but about 2 weeks before the temporary signs went up, there were papers stuck on all of the pumps saying that they were only taking cash or credit/debit cards that weekend, no gift cards. The only answer I got when I asked was "computer upgrades".

Could be - maybe changing brands soon?

A couple of the Speedways near Mom's house converted over to Exxon. No real announcement about that change, but about 2 weeks before the temporary signs went up, there were papers stuck on all of the pumps saying that they were only taking cash or credit/debit cards that weekend, no gift cards. The only answer I got when I asked was "computer upgrades".

I've seen some weird stuff going on when gas stations rebranded. One stopped selling lottery tickets for a while near me, even though the owners didn't change. They had a sign saying that couldn't sell them until their license was transferred over with the new name of the business.

Looks like there is something to this. Pic taken right now in Omaha. The TT sticker is covered up!
image.jpg

This is on the toptiergas.com website header, emphasis added by me:

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.

As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.

The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible.

Last edited:
This is on the toptiergas.com website header, emphasis added by me:

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.

As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.

The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible.
That makes a lot of sense. I guess I didn't see it. Thanks a lot!

The excellent, recently built, Shell station near my house is changing to BP along with the half dozen other shell stations in town.

The BP thing is disappointing. There's a little mom & pop deli I ride my motorcycles to for gas. They're a BP dealer. They just got new, modern pumps. Fun, twisty ride over there for me. Great place to stop for a snack and a fill up for the scoot. I'm not doing roller grill hotdogs at Sunoco.

I'm sure QuikTrip is still perfectly fine (I'm very picky about what goes in my car), but this does greatly cut down on the amount of TT-rated options in my area. Shell, Exxon/Mobil, BP, etc., are nonexistent around here and almost all the local P66/Conoco and Valero stores are pretty shady and run down. Casey's and KwikShop (EG Group), despite being very nice, clean, updated stores, are not TT and are very vague about what is in their gas.

Do ya'll really think it makes a difference?

I wonder if Chevron is having supply issues with Techron.

If you are worried dump in a bottle of techron and move along your way.

Hyundai recommends a bottle of that with every oil change 3750 miles. I have been following it, a bottle is 4 dollars at walmart.

I wonder if Chevron is having supply issues with Techron.

Chevron/Oronite doesn't actually make the specific chemicals. They don't make PEA or whatever else is added. They buy that from chemical supply companies like Huntsmand and then just blend it. If their suppliers are down, that could affect how much they can blend. But I think the same goes for companies like Afton and Lubrizol too. They formulate and blend. If there's any fuel additive company with its own means of making chemicals, it would have to include BASF.

Some oil companies actually made various chemicals. Mobil made Hefty plastic goods until they sold it off.

Chevron/Oronite doesn't actually make the specific chemicals. They don't make PEA or whatever else is added. They buy that from chemical supply companies like Huntsmand and then just blend it. If their suppliers are down, that could affect how much they can blend. But I think the same goes for companies like Afton and Lubrizol too. They formulate and blend. If there's any fuel additive company with its own means of making chemicals, it would have to include BASF.

Some oil companies actually made various chemicals. Mobil made Hefty plastic goods until they sold it off.
What about Chevron Phillips Chemical?
I'm not saying that they make PEA for sure, but just about every oil refining/exploration company has a chemical division under a different division or company altogether.
BASF definitely produces the chemical PEA, and also sells formulations of it to blenders, other companies, etc.

Do you know what forum you're on? Yes it makes a difference.

Do you know what forum you're on? Yes it makes a difference.
A forum slap full of anecdotal opinion seldom backed up by proof as per the above statement. I'd just like to see some studies where the product(s) were tested thoroughly and a demonstrable, repeatable affect was observed.

A forum slap full of anecdotal opinion seldom backed up by proof as per the above statement. I'd just like to see some studies where the product(s) were tested thoroughly and a demonstrable, repeatable affect was observed.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are lots of educated people on this forum discussing real scientific data.
I was being snarky for sure, but Technically it does make a difference.
The research and references on gasoline additives is extensive. There are thousands of forum topics on it.
There is an EPA mandated minimum in all gasoline (for good reason), Top Tier is a step above.

Here is one such reference that was easy to find:

Here's one on a specific additive written by moderators of this forum:

Back